Thread: AO or other tent stoves - fabrication?

Default AO or other tent stoves - fabrication?

Got a Tent to order (the AO10) but have been going back and forth on the stove. Been told by a few that the stoves aren't worth the $$ and to just have someone build a nice smaller, airtight stove.

Anyone have opinions on their stoves?

Also, does anyone know anyone who would/could fabricate up a stove like this (small, say like a 15 gallon fuel barrel, or 20# propane size)? I'm sure I can get someone in Nome to do it, but like anything up here it'd cost me a pretty penny.

Thinking it doesn't need to be a big stove, airtight, 3" diameter pipe (can buy the pipe from AK tent and tarp).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I've been very pleased with TiGoat box stove. Tricky to put together at first, but now I think it's cool - very efficient design. Not heavy <3lbs or just over 4 lbs, or bulky. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/stoves.html

I looked at the AO for a Brooks Range trip. Excellent tent and excellent company. Opted for a lighter tent, but the TiGoat stove and AO seem like they'd be a good combination. Maybe someone has experience. Whatever stove you get, it might be worth reading about spark arrestors - which basically are a piece of heavy screen placed in the smokestack/pipe to trap large ash. They can clog up. Maybe sometimes you need one, but some guys ditch them.

Good luck.

I'm not familiar with the AO but have used an airtight titanium [made in MN] for a decade....my moose camp is high with very little firewood and this thing really does well in my 12 man Kifaru Tipi.....they are expensive but when you get into custom fabrication, that may be just as expensive.

I went with the Two dog stove from www.fourdog.com It is about the same size as the Packer from AKT&T, but is build like a brick ----house, and is airtight. It is heavier, but not too much, and it will only be carried via 4 wheeler and snogo. I've been told it might be "too much" stove for most occasions, which is just what I want when wood is at a premium. Plus the airtightness of them, is suppossed to give a good 6-8 hour burn when turned down.

those Titaniums sure look nice, but are NOT cheap!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!