Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dc001

Default Dc001

Has anyone been up the Resurection trail lately? Looking to go in soon and was wondering if anyone has any info on where the herd might be now.

"Your papers are not in order"

For what it's worth, there is no "herd" in the Kenai Mts, but rather lots of small groups of caribou. I have seen anywhere from single animals to a group of 20, but usually I've seen them in groups of 3-7. Furthermore, they move throughout the area constantly. Caribou in general do not stay still long, and these ones are no exception. While field reports are of some value, if they were somewhere yesterday they're not likely to still be there tomorrow. Go high (above 3,000' minimum, in my experience) and cover as many miles as you can.

In my limited experience, Brian is 100 percent correct. Where they are today, they will not be tommorrow. The one we got was in a group of 3. Someone else took one of the three and we had to hump it to a new drainage to cut off the other two that were fleeing. We were camped at 3500 feet and never dropped below 3000 until we were headed back to the truck with the meat.

I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to have harvested a caribou out of Resurrection pass. We worked hard to find and take one and have the blisters and bruises to prove it .

I honestly expected we would have to make multiple trips to even see a caribou. Sometimes in life you get lucky....

Good luck to all those with the tag...

My hunting partner and I are leaving Saturday morning and have cleared out an entire week for this hunt. I have a feeling its gonna be one of those hunts when its all over and we're on the way home we'll say that was awesome. while we're up there however its gonna be all work. Gonna be on the lookout for some blackies as well.

Picked up some info from F&G a few years back when I did this hunt. F&G fly's an annual goat survey and takes note of all the caribou they see. The majority of the animals will always be found on the west side of Resurrection Trail. A few animals will wonder all the way to Hope but most stay south of Bedrock Creek.

I know people or have read about people who have taken caribou up Cannonball Cr, Fox Cr, Hungry Cr, Moose Cr, and up Palmer Creek Road. When I'm lucky enough to draw this tag again I'll concentrate my efforts between heads of Hungry Cr and Cannonball Cr. In '07 I shot a decent bull up Moose Creek.

You definately need a week to do this hunt right. I wouldn't plan on being able to do much hunting from the trail either, its hard to find good vantage points to see up most of the valleys. Bite the bullet and bust up to the ridge tops, from there you can walk forever.

I totally agree with all the posts. I have put in for this tag for several years and have done tons of research. Called the biologist the other day and he said he hasn't flown it in quite a while, but told me the same thing that AK Wonderer said. It's going to be a fun hunt for sure. Long hikes and beautiful scenery if the clouds dissapear. Thanks for the info.

Just got back from helping a friend take an animal up there. Discretion forbids mentioning where it was taken, but my experience this year and on several previous hunts bears out what others have said. They're up high, they're in small groups, and getting the animal out is a lot of work. I'm convinced that the main reason the success rate on this hunt is so low is that too many people apply without checking out the conditions beforehand. They think, "Oh cool- a caribou hunt close to home. How tough can it be?" Then when faced with the grim realities of hiking a long way in, climbing high, then carrying out the carcass, most folks give it a token attempt, if that, and give up. And I was wondering- since they're never in the same place from day to day, how about picking a spot where they aren't, and waiting for them to show up? I'm halfway serious about that, since going where they were seen the day before always comes up empty. Anyway, Good luck to all of those willing to put in the time and effort- it's gorgeous country, and well worth the effort to get there.

man you guys are tough going all the way past cannonball creek, etc. i'm going back to where we got the last one years ago. it's a heckofa lot less work.

Anybody else have any updates? Leaving Friday for a week long adventure in the mountains.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

We're leaving Saturday.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Just got back from helping a friend take an animal up there. Discretion forbids mentioning where it was taken, but my experience this year and on several previous hunts bears out what others have said. They're up high, they're in small groups, and getting the animal out is a lot of work. I'm convinced that the main reason the success rate on this hunt is so low is that too many people apply without checking out the conditions beforehand. They think, "Oh cool- a caribou hunt close to home. How tough can it be?" Then when faced with the grim realities of hiking a long way in, climbing high, then carrying out the carcass, most folks give it a token attempt, if that, and give up. And I was wondering- since they're never in the same place from day to day, how about picking a spot where they aren't, and waiting for them to show up? I'm halfway serious about that, since going where they were seen the day before always comes up empty. Anyway, Good luck to all of those willing to put in the time and effort- it's gorgeous country, and well worth the effort to get there.
    i have to agree with this post, it has been a lot of years since i played back in those hills.. and would have to have a hard time picking a tougher Bou hunt between this DC 001 and the Alaska range DC 827 for climbing, packing and hauling.. good luck to you guys headed out there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As said previously, go high, really high. Heading up into the fog and being up there when it cleared out is what worked for me. That was on day 6 of my second trip, when only minutes before I was eating lunch and cursing the entire mountain range for being devoid of caribou.

I think I put as many miles on my feet that hunt (including the unsuccessful 5 day trip 2 weeks before)as I got pounds of caribou out of it, but it is one that still leaves me smiling, and the further I get from remembering the pack out, the more I want to do it again.

Has anyone been up into the mountains with a sled yet this year? Thinking about going in on the Summit lake trail and try to fill my tag.

We have skied up and over summit lake pass to the devils pass canyon. We stayed low and were in no way looking for caribou. It was a white out even during the few day light hours in January. We traveled a bunch at low light and night for various reasons. It is quite possible if you are back country savy. There is considerable avalanche terrain through there and a good eye on local conditions would be in order. There was a very large wind event (80+ mph) lately, so the gullies and ridge tops may still be tender. I love ski camping and doing long winter trips by foot vs. motor. I would love to hear if you see any Caribou road side of Resurection pass. The intel I have heard is that they winter over mostly around Indian Creek so I have not considered a winter trip from the road. I tried my luck last year in late sept/october from Caribou Creek cabin. WHEW what a bunch of work that was. I bet it would be some easier navigating and pulling a carcass out in the winter.

I strongly recommend against going in on Summit creeek trail, that valley in one massive avalanche zone. If you really care to tempt fate against the recent storm event, I think traveling from the Hope end of things would be a "relatively safer" course. Whatever you do, be safe, be aware and good luck.

Well, Just trying to figure out a way in there on a sled. The hope side and the resurection pass trail isn't open this year. Any ideas on another way in there?

the "herd" such as it is is very likely in the American pass area.
    when originally transplanted they were called the "American pass herd", and that is generally their winter range.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

In the time I lived near there I never did go up Devils' pass trail more than a few miles, and I have not checked out a topo map of it. Based on recollection that pass seemed somewhat broad and it accesses resurrection, it may be worth a map study.

I was considering that way in as well. But it's a little steep in places Might just check it out for fun in the next day or two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast