Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ 14C DS132

Default Help w/ 14C DS132

Looking on info. regarding Pioneer Peak area vs. Peter's Creek area for a 9/5 -9-17 sheep hunt. Have gotten some info on the Pioneer Peak area but nothing on access, etc. in the Peter's Creek drainage. Can't even find if there is a trail or what area is passable for access. Thanks for any info. Also looking for somebody to partner up. If interested PM me.

I'd hunt the peters creek drainage from the meadow creek divide outward, strat by going up baldy then follow the ridge out to vista then spot from there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Past Vista

Is it possible to follow ridgelines past Vista along the Peter's Creek Drainage?

I'm not sure, I kinda don't think so but its a great point for spotting with a high powere scope, another good access point is ram valley which will get you into the back of peters creek conversly you can start at mile high saddle and go up or around mile high mountain.
    heres a picture of the backside of vista, obvious sheep terrain

Default Ds 111

I killed an ewe on DS111 on Labor Day weekend. I hunted five days back in there looking around at sheep. The first weekend I went up the Twin Peaks trail. Lots of sheep in there, but they were all in Twin Peaks valley, which is closed. I did see some sheep on the far side of Goat Creek, so the next weekend I went up Pioneer Peak trail. That was a good hike, but I came down on the ewes that I saw the week before and got one. I wasn't really looking for rams, but I saw a number of them. None of them were full curl. My understading is that the rams are further back towards the east end of Eklutna lake. I had an ewe-only permit, so I didnt feel the need to go way back there.

Quite honestly, I'd find and air taxi and scout it from the air.

Start training now. The only access is on foot or via mt bike.

The best way to access where the rams will be in Peters Creek is to drive to the top of Prudhoe Bay Drive in Eagle River, find a landowner that will let you cross their acre of land, and hook up with the old unmarked trail that leads you up the valley and over the ridge. You can be in Peter's Creek drainage within 2-3 hours, it's an easy climb, and you'll be right on the flank of Peeking Mountain. Look at the old harvest records for 14C - there have been a lot of really nice rams taken off that peak. Going in from the end of the valley on the Peters Creek trail (Bear Mountain trailhead) or going up the ridge from Baldy will get you into the legal area, but there are rarely rams out that far. It would be a 10+ mile hike from the trailhead, as opposed to just going up and over from Prudhoe Bay drive. I highly recommend this route.

-Brian

Default Prudoe Bay Dr.

Good luck on that one. I know several land owners up there, and they probably are not going to let anyone they don't know cross their land. That's why there is a locked gate at the end of the road. They don't want anyone up there. It's a good thing I have a hunting buddy that lives up there and and a DS130 tag this year. :-)

There's another trail into ram valley thats official I think from dew mounds or something dumb like that. I wish someone (the state) would just buy an 8th of an acre on top of prudoe bay road so we don't have to tresspass whenever we go up there.

Thumbs down ak powder monkey

An 8th of an acre does not get you back into the park. You have to trespass for about a 1/2 mile to get to the park. I hope your not advocating trespassing. What ever happened to respecting private property rights? Besides, if you get caught, your first day of sheep hunting is going to be in jail...

I have a close friend who owns 40 acres up there - no illegal trespassing necessary.

-Brian

There are a couple of good ridge tops to land on, or you can take horses most of the way in on the trail mentioned earlier, going out of the Bear Mtn Trail. Real easy three day hunt either way, if the weather is cooperative. The rams are there, and visible as soon as you get back there.

Default park sheep

You can email me at keithdouglas@yahoo.com or call me Sunday, I am in the book in Anchorage. I have hunted and guided in both areas and love talking sheep hunting.

Default Can I get some info also?

It looks like I will be accompaning a friend of mind that drew this tag. I am wanting to get as much info as I can about this area.

Are there big rams in this area? The date are Sept 5 -17. This is the last hunt of the season. I see that there may have been 40 hunter in this area prior to hunt and another 12 hunters in this area at the same time. Is there enough sheep for all of us?

This area is very small with this much pressure, I gather the sheep will be in the hardest areas, right?

Any one else have any ideas or helpful hints.

Thanks

Default what's the big deal

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Good luck on that one. I know several land owners up there, and they probably are not going to let anyone they don't know cross their land. That's why there is a locked gate at the end of the road. They don't want anyone up there. It's a good thing I have a hunting buddy that lives up there and and a DS130 tag this year. :-)
    why is everyone such a hothead about crossing their land.?? i don't get it. if you stop in and talk to a landowner, what sort of problem would they have with that? you're just walking across it, not bulldozing. amazing.

i saw my outfitter pay a landowner a $250 trepass fee for one of his guides to walk across his land to get to where they wanted to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    An 8th of an acre does not get you back into the park. You have to trespass for about a 1/2 mile to get to the park. I hope your not advocating trespassing. What ever happened to respecting private property rights? Besides, if you get caught, your first day of sheep hunting is going to be in jail...
    Maybe a bit more, how many acres is 10 times 2750 feet? (27500 sq. feet)? An easment trail would be realitively inexpensive and make access legal, I know a ton of people who access ram valley on Prudoe Bay road, I'd venture a guess of about 75% of the hikers and skiers I know access it that way.

Anyhow its not that I advocate tresspass, I just advocate accessing the park on historically used trails. I don't know the specifics on Ram Valley but its a Baldy type thing that I don't like (when the company up there tried to close down the hiking trail)

SH
    The deal is it's my land and like it or not I don't like strangers poking around! I have a right to be left alone and I chose to exercise it! Besides the last time I let someone cross my property they camped out just the other side of my property line for days and did more pot smoking than hunting. I woke up one morning to find 3 trucks in my driveway that I didn't know so I called a wrecker and had them towed! My new rule is if your on my land and I don't know you , you have 10 seconds to state your business before I draw down on you! There are too many weirdo's out there for me not to protect my family. My wife who is a RN in Anchorage has been followed home more than once, as have many of her coworkers.

Bottom line is I like my privacy and live where I do so I'll be left alone!

So no you may not set foot on my property for any reason go away!

Rick P

Default Thanks for the great info.

I am looking for hunting info! Not the pros/ cons of trespassing.

I am looking for infomation on GOAT creek, PETERS creek and THUNDER BIRD creek. Which area is the hardest to hunt, what area has the most hunting pressure, where are the big rams at on 9/10, etc.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post

I am looking for infomation on GOAT creek, PETERS creek and THUNDER BIRD creek. Which area is the hardest to hunt, what area has the most hunting pressure, where are the big rams at on 9/10, etc.....

Thanks
    I'd do some glassing on vista throughout the summer my buddies and I have seen so pretty nice rams in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post

Thanks
    Sorry tv321 just sick of having folks wandering around my garden every year looking for access to sheep/Goat hunting. 99% of the time they don't even bother to stop by the house! Just come walking' up the driveway and out in my back yard! Come on guys is the 4x8 foot no trespassing sign not big enough? My 85lbs Pit Bull and St Barnard growling at ya through the fence too subtle?

Rick P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast