Thread: "Salvage" and " Process for Human Consumption"

Cool "Salvage" and " Process for Human Consumption"

We occaisionally get into discussions about legal use of game...............like after someone deposits meat in a dumpster.
    There is disagreement with what is legally required. Finally was able to dig it up.
    Here is the definition of "Salvage" per 5AAC 92.990 a49:
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;

Here is the definition of "processed for human consumption" per 5aac 92.990 a54:
    (54) "processed for human consumption" means prepared for immediate consumption or prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period;

So there is the 2 week, 15 days deal I have mentioned before. I suppose we can argue the variety of ways to interpret this, but I would say that after 2 weeks, your free to throw your salvaged meat away with no legal consequences.
    Oh, before the ethically elite get their panties in a bunch............I'm not advocating throwing away anything. This is just a reference to what is legal.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    ethically elite
    Yep. That fits me to a T.

I won't disrespect an animal by throwing away anything I can possibly use. My ethics, and I stand by them.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The two week deal as you call it refers to the method of preservation, not how long you actually keep the meat. In other words, you must preserve the meat in such a way that in it's existing state (frozen, refrigerated, canned, what ever method chosen) the meat will still be fit for human consumption after 14 days. Realistically, frozen or canned are the two best options. Refrigerated, smoked, salted etc. are not effective methods in and of themselves to preserve meat for extended periods of time.

Yep, it is saying that it has to be preserved in a manner that it will keep for beyond 15 days, not that it has to be kept for only 15 days.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and still many a trooper has told me that once the transport portion is over the salveage requirement has been met... the troopers were the only ones that opposed my bear hide/meat prop last spring because they could not check in the field if it was a sow. and told me again that after it was home i could throw it away, and all that prop was doing was saving me some work by leaving a hide behind.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ...and told me again that after it was home i could throw it away....
    That really sours my stomach. I was set to travel all the way to North Carolina for a whitetail hunt a few years back and learned their salvage requirements only mandate removing the hind quarters and back strap. I decided on the spot that great state did not need my money.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That really sours my stomach. I was set to travel all the way to North Carolina for a whitetail hunt a few years back and learned their salvage requirements only mandate removing the hind quarters and back strap. I decided on the spot that great state did not need my money.
    Yeah, that would suck to walk away from the 5 lbs of meat on the front quarters of a N.C. 95-lb whitetail doe...

Yeah we could split hairs on the 15 day thing and I think someone should,

I also read it as "frozen, preserved, etc. well enough to last 15 days but needs to be kept that way until "Completely Consumed in a Non-Wasteful" manner.

The reason for splitting hairs on it is there could be folks out there thinking, Oh I only need to throw this stuff into the freezer for two weeks then toss it and go back out there for more, if they read it somewhere as legal

Take it All, Wrap it Really Well, Keep A Tight Eye on Freezer, etc.

BOTTOM LINE, DON'T WASTE ANY GAME MEAT. "It's Against The Law In Alaska"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah, that would suck to walk away from the 5 lbs of meat on the front quarters of a N.C. 95-lb whitetail doe...

For me it would suck a lot. That's the difference between us, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For me it would suck a lot. That's the difference between us, isn't it?
    I guess you're right. With an animal that small I bet every ounce counts!

I believe the 15 days rule is so that you can then go out and harvest more fish/game.
    For instance in Homer the limit on crabs this year is 4 per person per day and to have more than your limit in your possesion theose crabs over your limit must be frozen/canned.
    You may have 2 daily limits of halibut but more than that and they must be frozen/canned/smoked.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I guess you're right. With an animal that small I bet every ounce counts!

I'm with Brownbear.
    I saw a six point velvet buck last week here in Idaho that was tossed near the dumpster on our mountain road. The hams were gone as was the straps. The neck meat and shoulders were all untouched and covered in hide...bullet hole near the heart area of the hide.
    It was either poached or possibly shot by Native Americans who have special rights here and either way, much of the meat was wasted.

I was p*ssed off bigtime.

Sorry for the jack/rant.
    Proud to be an American!

Guys, even if its been in the frezzer for over a year, its still good as long as it was wrapped right. Take it down and get some sticks made out of it. Dang good stuff.

I'm with the guys that don't waste anything, I've seen people shoot rabbits and chop off just the hind legs. I grew up on rabbits and ate the whole thing.

This may be a dumb question but...

What happens when the hunter does everything in their power to salvage the meat, brings it to a processor, and the processor messes it up...ala TVM? Is the responsibility still on the hunter or can it then be tossed because it is rotten?

No, in that case the processor would likely hold the burden of the law. I also doubt that you will get any flak from a legitimate freezer failure or similar unavoidable situation that was out of your control.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No, in that case the processor would likely hold the burden of the law. I also doubt that you will get any flak from a legitimate freezer failure or similar unavoidable situation that was out of your control.
    That gives me the quivers, my freezer going out, I think I am going to upgrade to a new upright.

Yeah, I lost a freezer full of beef once and it was a huge disappointment! I can't even begin to think how upsetting it would be to loose a freezer full of moose (or any other game meat) where I had that much time and energy invested getting it in there to begin with. For the Beef I just went and bought more, that simply isn't possible with wild game. I now have a big upright with a digital temp display on the door and an alarm. It is tempting to get one of the remote monitors for it that can alert you via cell phone if there is a problem.

Default sorry to rain on your kodiak parade...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Yeah we could split hairs on the 15 day thing and I think someone should,
    I tried to (officially) and it went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    BOTTOM LINE, DON'T WASTE ANY GAME MEAT. "It's Against The Law In Alaska"
    I wish that were true.

Default I'll have my hood up, no problem with Rain

It's worth a try anyway, the splitting hairs discussion just for the sake of getting folks thinking about it, so, to the OP

Hopefully previous efforts didn't "go nowhere"

and I guess I should have said, "It's against the 'Spirit' of the Law in Alaska" that'd probably be true for most anyway

Always appreciate reality checks tho, it's Raining Out Here !??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default how about rutty caribou?

late season caribou can be literally inedible, but there is still a salvage requirement.
    when i was guiding out of dillingham it was common for hunters to bring the meat to the airtaxi, sign a transfer of possesion form .... and the airtaxi would take the meat to the dump.
    eventually the taxi chnged their policy and refused to take any caribou after sept 30.
    i bet the bou ended up at the dump anyway....
    i really think bull caribou should be closed for a month or two during the rut....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/