Thread: Cordova In September

Question Cordova In September

I was wondering if anyone had any information on fishing Cordova in September. I hear the Silvers are packed in tight that month. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ron

Silvers, Silvers, Silvers. The best fishing I have ever done was in Cordova in the month of September. If you have access to a boat hit some of the rivers that filter in the bays. I have never had fish attack my lures before like the silvers I was catching last September. Good luck

CG, do you NEED a boat? Or can you access things from the roadsystem? Would an inflatable be a worth while tool to bring along? I've also heard about cordova being packed with chrome. Also heard getting a forest service cabin at that time can be tough?!?! I was hoping my fiancee would be here by now, this was a trip my old fishing buddy and I have talked about for years. Looks like it's gonna have to wait till next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    CG, do you NEED a boat? Or can you access things from the roadsystem? Would an inflatable be a worth while tool to bring along? I've also heard about cordova being packed with chrome. Also heard getting a forest service cabin at that time can be tough?!?! I was hoping my fiancee would be here by now, this was a trip my old fishing buddy and I have talked about for years. Looks like it's gonna have to wait till next year.
    The FS cabins you are thinking about with silvers are fly-ins: Martin Lake, and some others on HinchinBrook and Montague Islands. The Martin Lake (rebuilt this yr - anyone know what it looks like?) and Nellie Martin cabins are by far the most popular, I have been to both (once each), and yes, it can take a decade or more of trying to get a booking. There are lots of dollies in Martin Lake . A boat motor would be nice to have there (boat comes with the cabin, on a lake) but you don't need it to fish the river. I would guess you're talkin a thou. minimum roundtrip to fly to either with 2 and gear in a 206. A few float Martin River (goes out of the lake, to PWS) and get picked up by helicopter at the bottom; I would like to try that if I go there again; that would cost more, of course.

There are some other cabins on Montague that nobody goes to much. I have heard rumors of silvers here or there.
    If you try one of these, pls post the fishing results (or lack thereof).

As far as the road system itself, the fishing spots are well-known, you don't necessarily need a boat; and you can get info from the Cordova Fish and Game office, or maybe on the internet by now, about the locations. Even for road-fishing, reservations for anything in Cordova (rooms, vehicles, boat rentals, etc.) has to be made well in advance for the silver season.

helicopter pilot would be orca bay lodge? I thought there was a road accessable FS?

yes, I believe there is at least one road-accessible cabin there; not sure it has as much of a silver reputation as those mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    yes, I believe there is at least one road-accessible cabin there; not sure it has as much of a silver reputation as those mentioned.
    specifically, FS says this about the road cabins I think you have in mind:

"General Notes
    There are two cabins in the McKinley area and sometimes there's some confusion about which one is which. McKinley TRAIL cabin is the one near the Copper River Highway, about 100 yards up the trail. McKinley LAKE cabin is on the lake, about 2.25 miles from the trailhead.

Activities

Camping & Cabins SHOW

FishingHIDERiver and Stream Fishing
    Sockeye salmon arenít very aggressive about taking flies or lures and by the time they reach this spawning area, theyíre getting old and spent. Most anglers concentrate on the Dolly Varden that follow the sockeye to eat the eggs that donít get buried. Cutthroat trout are in the lake in lesser numbers.

Whitefish cutthroat trout near the inlet creeks and gravel shoals. Generally, the coho and sockeye salmon in the lake are getting kind of old except when they first arrive at the mouth of the lake. The outlet can be reached by canoe or hiking, but if youíre hiking, thereís no trail for the last half and itís easy to get turned around in the woods. There are much better places to fish for coho salmon."

Spent 3 days at the Mckinley Lake cabin in July, fish were turned at the cabin but at the mouth of the lake they were good and fresh. Here are a few pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images