Thread: 16' G3 Mods

Default 16' G3 Mods

My Yamaha 1652 G3 with a F60 Jet never could get up on step very well. Dewey's installs the outboard with a motor jack that pushes the outboard out too far from the transom, not only shifting weight further back but causing the foot to drag through the water in a way it keeps the boat from getting on step quickly.

Took my boat to Silver Streak and had them build a custom motor mount and since it was there I had them put in a jet tunnel. Now the boat gets up in less than half the distance, no problem at all. Best money I've spent on the boat. Now I can run up and down rivers without worrying about finding a deap stretch long enough for me to get up on step. This is how the boat should have been put together in the first place. I almost bought a new boat...well I may do that anyway but this has me thinking I'm might be good to go for a while.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Glad to hear you got it "up" and running good for you. I expected this to be a thread asking orsoptions to modify it and I was going to suggest jacking it up about 10' in the air and running a Wooldridge under it!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was going to suggest jacking it up about 10' in the air and running a Wooldridge under it!
    That was under serious consideration, and maybe still is!!!

Seriously though, this is my first boat and has been a pretty good starter boat for me. I've had it for 3 years and I feel as though I'm still learning. Maybe after next season I'll be ready to upgrade.

What did the jet tunnel run you, if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    What did the jet tunnel run you, if you dont mind me asking?
    I think the tunnel itself was $500. I had them R&R the motor so that was an extra $200, well worth it to me since I don't have any of the stuff or the space to remove the motor. Looks like good work to me. I had a buddy of mine who's a welder take a look at it and he didn't see anything wrong with the work. I think all in all I put about $1200-1300 into it, which is a lot less than a new Woolridge

the g3 doesnt come with a plate that extends the bottom over the jet foot. that is why they dont get on step. you can make that plate and improve your results dramatically. you need a plate that goes over the jet foot even with the tunnel.