Thread: FUEL BURN??? -- 1996 2 Stroke 35 Horse Yamaha Jet (Model # 40MLHU)

Question FUEL BURN??? -- 1996 2 Stroke 35 Horse Yamaha Jet (Model # 40MLHU)

I recently bought a used jon boat with the above mentioned motor on it. I was just curious as to how much fuel burn I should be getting, in gallons per hour. I've taken it out quite a bit and it seems like its burning about 4 -5 gallons per hour but I'm not quite sure because I haven't been tracking run time as closely as I should. Anyone have an idea of what it should be doing?? Thanks!P1010598.jpg

Nevermind, found it in the manual...5.8 gal / hour

Manual? Manual! You have a manual for yours?

Can't say about burn rate because I almost never run mine flat out for an hour at a time, but that sure sounds high. I can run to my usual grounds, troll most of the day, then run back without using much more than half of a 6-gallon skiff can. That's an 18' Lund with two or three people in it most times.

Solid engine. Mine is losing power lately and I'm trying to diagnose it, but I still use it.

Default Manual

Yeah I ended up finding the manual online. It's just for the upper unit though, and lower unit if you've got a prop. The set I got is all in pdf format for a bunch of different models. Let me know if you want a set and I'll email it to you.

I have the 1995 35/40 with a prop (running with the 40 cam), and I get about 5 gallons per hour wide open. My boat is very light though and usually two people with some fishing gear. This is out in the ocean.