Thread: 'Bow fly fishing with no crowds possible?

Default 'Bow fly fishing with no crowds possible?

We would love to fly fish for 'bows somewhere where the crowds are small and the 'bows are not catch and release. Is this possible to do without going on a fly-in trip? To make this question a bit trickier is I'm a disabled vet and need fairly easy access. We live in the Valley and have a small RV so we can travel several hours if necessary. Thanks!

I fish them quite frequently and rarely see anyone. You'd be surprised how big the lakers get int he MatSu area.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It is not that difficult to get away from people for trout. Most of the streams along the parks have good fishing in them and there are several with fairly easy access. You may also want to try some place like meadow creek.

lots of room to fish in the Valley streams as long as you don't have to fish on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    lots of room to fish in the Valley streams as long as you don't have to fish on the weekend.
    Even fishing the weekends on the parks, you'll rarely see a 'crowd' where you are fishing for bows - just head upstream (the salmon fisherman head downstream towards the mouth). And to me, a crowd is ANYONE else I may see.

Also, the Kepler Bradley lakes are no secret around here, most of them allow you to keep fish and have very easy access if you want to float tube fish... I can usually be found on one of them, though I prefer the catch and release only waters.

if you see a guy in a green tube and red hat, give me a shout - I'm a veteran myself...

Walk farther than everybody else.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you don't mind the drive, try the russian. Nice hiking area and great river.. if you could take some sets of stairs and walk, it's a pretty cool place.

Luck

I hear the crowds are pretty thin on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia.

wow thats an awesome thing to say dumb***** considering he said he is a disabled vet and asked for a place with easy access. what a ******.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Walk farther than everybody else.

Ha ha...

Kind of struck me the same way, but I read the whole thread before replying

I have to assume that monkey didn't read that part.

Likely not intended as rude when he said "walk farther".

Or so I hope
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I hear the crowds are pretty thin on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia.
    I will make it there someday....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I agree if you go during the week the crowds will be thin. Not a lot of people fish rainbows during the fall season, so there is a great opportunity to get some nice fish!!

Default Ya - what Dan said...

Quote Originally Posted by fishak24 View Post
    wow thats an awesome thing to say dumb***** considering he said he is a disabled vet and asked for a place with easy access. what a ******.
    fishak24: Welcome to the forums. I hope you'll find the folks here - especially the flyfishing forum - to be a relaxed, experienced group willing to share information - and grateful for the counsel of their peers when it comes to all matters fly.

The tone around the flyfishing forum is usually pretty relaxed. IMO the experienced regular contributors keep coming back in part because the discussions here donít often degenerate into Ö well, degenerate.

Ak Powder Monkey, affectionately referred to as "APM", (and sometimes other things too) is one of those very experienced fly tying, fly fishing "elders" here who brings a lot to discussions and over the years has helped a lot of people out by sharing his viewpoint. Spend some time on these forums and you'll get to know the regulars - that we don't always agree - but people feel welcome, and usually appreciated around this campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post

fishak24: Welcome to the forums. I hope you'll find the folks here - especially the flyfishing forum - to be a relaxed, experienced group willing to share information - and grateful for the counsel of their peers when it comes to all matters fly.

The tone around the flyfishing forum is usually pretty relaxed. IMO the experienced regular contributors keep coming back in part because the discussions here don’t often degenerate into … well, degenerate.

Ak Powder Monkey, affectionately referred to as "APM", (and sometimes other things too) is one of those very experienced fly tying, fly fishing "elders" here who brings a lot to discussions and over the years has helped a lot of people out by sharing his viewpoint. Spend some time on these forums and you'll get to know the regulars - that we don't always agree - but people feel welcome, and usually appreciated around this campfire.
    Well said 6X. There alot of us that are regualrs. Sometimes we see eye to eye, sometimes we dont. We all have our own ways and gear and methods of doing things. There is alot of info on the threads. Dont hesitate to PM us either for any advice.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

3griffs: The good news I think is that with an RV and willingess to explore, all you need to do is go.
    Drop by 3 Rivers Fly Shop there in Wasilla sometime - one of the best fly shops in the area IMO. They'll have some road-access oriented books to help you find out places to start, but most of all, they'll get to know you a bit and can give word o'mouth advice that's often priceless. Have fun exploring the places that suit you best. Start soon, the season will start getting short come September.

Good luck.

Also if you even in anchorage griffs stop by and see Mike and Mossy's Great guy and there is usually 3 or 4 guys hanging around talking fishing. Lots of info to be gathered there too.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-19-2010 at 13:59. Reason: referenced deleted comment
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Boys boys boys....can't we all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

I agree that non-weekend MatSu streams should yield you some peaceful fishing trips...AND that you need to start soon! Salmon fishermen should slack off soon enough and give you more room.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

3griffs -
    I was getting my tube ready up by long lake and had a gentlemen with Veteran plates drive up and ask me a few questions - he also mentioned he was disabled... I didn't put two and two together at the time (blame the infantryman in me), but was that you??
    I had forgone my trademark red hat for a wool beanie and rain jacket that day :-P

Cube01, Nope that wasn't me...I'm a woman.

Thanks to you all for your advice. I'll check out those fly shops too. I truly appreciate it!!

Lots of good advice and I would also recommend picking up some bear spray or a handgun since as a former servicewoman you probably know how to use one. A bigger revolver is the gold standard but really anything bigger than a .22 beats trying to fight off a bruin with a fly pole!! Besides a handgun on a woman's hip tends to keep the boys, well acting "right". Bears this time of year are eating the same thing that the rainbows are after so they tend to be found in the same spots.

I am still laughing over AKPM being refered to as an "elder" I am pretty sure that isn't river water behind his ears