Thread: Need help with unit 13 Moose regs

Default Need help with unit 13 Moose regs

I am having a hard time finding information on the August 15-August 25 Moose hunt in unit 13. I've read the Newsminer article and a paragraph out of a ADFG news release is this still going or did it change again?

It's still on. In addition to the new hunt dates, the regulations allow for the take of bulls with 3 brow tines on at least one side. If I weren't going to work tomorrow, I'd definitely be up there. Good luck if you go!

Brian is dead on. I went to the F&G office on Friday to turn in my dipnet permit. They had flyers on the counter. 15th-25 spike fork or 50+ or at least 3 brow tines. I cant get there this week but plan on a 4 day weekend hunt next weekend.

Awesome thanks for the help Brian and Blue I'll be leaving in a few minutes.

anyone know why they did this??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    anyone know why they did this??
    My assumption is to make up for the lost opportunity those with the revoked community harvest permits had. Since the judge declared the community harvest hunts invalid, this provided another opportunity for those hunters to get out in the early season and to have a larger number of bulls to select from. I'm speculating here - and if that is indeed the reasoning, I'm not sure I agree with it - but that's my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My assumption is to make up for the lost opportunity those with the revoked community harvest permits had. Since the judge declared the community harvest hunts invalid, this provided another opportunity for those hunters to get out in the early season and to have a larger number of bulls to select from. I'm speculating here - and if that is indeed the reasoning, I'm not sure I agree with it - but that's my take.
    Brian, your explanation above is what I remember hearing as to why there will be the new hunt.

What I don't understand is why all of the hype and excitement to rush to unit 13 for a 3 brow hunt in August. Some of the people I've talked to who are going to participate in the new early season are acting like it is the greatest opportunity ever.

I just don't see it being all that great. I wouldn't think there are more 3 brow bulls in unit 13 as opposed to other units that are always 3 brow/50". I understand it is an extra 10 days to hunt but it is August. The weather is usually to warm to hang meat, the bugs are to bad, and the foliage makes it hard to hunt moose IMO.

Oh well, maybe I'm just bitter because I scheduled my 5 weeks of vacation to hunt moose there beginning September 1. and now what I thought would be opening morning when all of the moose are settled in to their early season routines will in fact be very much different after they have already been chased around by the time I get there.

this hunt will bugger it up for alot of guys who hunt later in sept when it goes back for 4 brow tine...might as well have just opened the season two weeks earlier with regular regulations...seems sketchy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have to agree with much of what has been said. I have a hunt planned in 13 on the 13-20 of Sept. By that time I don't think the early season will have much if any effect. I was on the Nenana above Cantwell last weekend. It is very thick and seeing a moose is going to be a trick.

All the reasoning behind the early hunt is a mute point to me now. It is on so I think I will try to take advantage. I am going to grab my raft and hit the river this weekend and spend 3 days looking. If nothing else its a good reason to take my gun for a float. All summer long the gun just sits there while my fishing rods get to have all the fun. Every time I come home the .300 wthby looks at me with hate and discontent. Its the guns turn and I will not be the one who tells it no again.

If your going have fun and be safe.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by borderblue1 View Post
    I have to agree with much of what has been said. I have a hunt planned in 13 on the 13-20 of Sept. By that time I don't think the early season will have much if any effect. I was on the Nenana above Cantwell last weekend. It is very thick and seeing a moose is going to be a trick.

All the reasoning behind the early hunt is a mute point to me now. It is on so I think I will try to take advantage. I am going to grab my raft and hit the river this weekend and spend 3 days looking. If nothing else its a good reason to take my gun for a float. All summer long the gun just sits there while my fishing rods get to have all the fun. Every time I come home the .300 wthby looks at me with hate and discontent. Its the guns turn and I will not be the one who tells it no again.

If your going have fun and be safe.
    B blue, i will have to come back and rep ya ( to much already spent for the day) for that one. gotta love them guns... i still have not told my 300 it is staying home on my daughters hunt... maybe i can sneek out with out it knowing....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I wasn't sure how it would work out; but I thought what the hell it's worth a try. Definitely too many bugs and leaves; but it paid off.8-15-2010 (Medium).jpg

Nice bull, Congrats. How wide?

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    I wasn't sure how it would work out; but I thought what the hell it's worth a try. Definitely too many bugs and leaves; but it paid off.8-15-2010 (Medium).jpg
    Go to this thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...533-Brow-tines.

I just don't see it being all that great. I wouldn't think there are more 3 brow bulls in unit 13 as opposed to other units that are always 3 brow/50"
    If I remember right they changed it to 4 brow tines awhile back due to a lot of the bulls taken in unit 13 had 3 brow tines but were not even close to 50"

My buddies wife scored a nice little fork hours after I posted this sorry no pic yet. She might think twice before she comes to visit us again. We plan and plan all of these extravigant expensive hunts. Don't forget to check out your local area on a nice sunny day. Brian M and Borderblue 1 you guys gotta few steaks coming to you.