Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are Core-Lokts?

Default What are Core-Lokts?

I went out this weekend and bought a box of cheap ammo to sight my rifle in for an upcoming moose hunt. Normally I buy the expensive stuff. You know, the trophy bonded bear claws, the barnes x, the noslers, the swift a-frames etc. But, with the price of ammo these days, I really have to ask myself, how much difference does it really make? I mean, if I can buy these cheap $20.00 core-lokts, and achieve satisfactory results, wouldn't it make more sense? At least that way, I can buy enough ammo to pattern my rifle at the range. If I have to spend $90.00 a box, to go target shooting, I am not going to have enough money left to buy ammo to go hunting. I already know you are going to tell me to start reloading, and I am really considering it, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me if these core-lokts will do the job or what?

They may not be a "premium" bullet, but I would bet that more animals are killed with core-lokts every year than all other bullets combined. Of all the big game animals I have taken, all but two have been taken with core-lokts, and for all the concerns I've read about them being less than stellar, I've always experienced great results.

I've killed a lot of critters with Core Lokts... they haven't complained.

For me the bottom line is velocity- if I'm shooting a cartridge and bullet capable of somewhere near 3000fps and up then I'll use a "premium" bullet that holds together on close shots. If I'm shooting something in the 2500fps range then I'll happily shoot Corelokts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I went out this weekend and bought a box of cheap ammo to sight my rifle in for an upcoming moose hunt. Normally I buy the expensive stuff. You know, the trophy bonded bear claws, the barnes x, the noslers, the swift a-frames etc. But, with the price of ammo these days, I really have to ask myself, how much difference does it really make? I mean, if I can buy these cheap $20.00 core-lokts, and achieve satisfactory results, wouldn't it make more sense? At least that way, I can buy enough ammo to pattern my rifle at the range. If I have to spend $90.00 a box, to go target shooting, I am not going to have enough money left to buy ammo to go hunting. I already know you are going to tell me to start reloading, and I am really considering it, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me if these core-lokts will do the job or what?
    Lots of game (all types of NA game) has been successfully taken with Remington Core-Lokts and I've no doubt that Core-Lokts will continue to be used very effectively on NA game. The key consideration is making a wise selection for the bullet weight for a particular cartridge and intended quarry. For example, I would not select a 150 grain 30/06, but the 180 grain Core-Lokt should prove very effective on moose size critters.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Good for target shooting, that is it! I just had a buddy kill a black bear a few weekends ago at the Russian River. Required a second shot at close range. Bullet blew up very badly inside the bear. Granted it finished it off, but I wouldn't and don't shoot them any more. I had miss fires, found my dad's .338 wm copper jacket in the bear, no lead! 3 strikes and they are out!!!

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but they always shoot very accurately out of any gun I've tried them in. And the few animals I have seen shot with them are now dead, having never moved more than about 15 feet. If you need evidence, look at the caribou in my avatar. Note his current position on my wall

What rifle are you shooting them out of and what do you plan to hunt with them?

There are two types of core-lokts now. The old stand by and the "ultra bonded". Remington likes to name things ultra I guess. They load them for the 300 RUM and that is about as fast as a .308 can get. I would hope they stay together, or they would be ultra crappy. I bet they are more than $20 a box though.

I have two Remington guns that love core-lokts (old school). So I know they can shoot well enough for most hunting ranges. I have yet to take game up here in AK with them, and likely won't because I don't shoot those guns much now that I have bigger and better ones that like the fancy ammo.

Seems to me it depends on how much you have invested in the hunt. If you are going all out to get a moose, the extra $100 in ammo is a drop in the bucket. If you are able to hunt economically and it is not going to be the once of a lifetime kind of thing, yea shoot the things. Moose die easy enough with some lead in the lungs, even if there are a few more fragments than you want. I assume if you are shooting $20/box ammo it is a 30-06. Also depends on how worried you are about grizzly friends. The core lokt may not be your first choice for angry fuzzy heads. They don't tend to die as easily with lead fragments scattered through them.

Happy hunting.

I like accubonds but the last freezer full of moose we had was due to a core-lokt. I know a guy that shot a huge interior bear w/ one (something like #8 B&C) with a 30-06 and core-lokt. Must be embarrassing for the bear to be killed by a rifle that is "too small" and a bullet that is "too weak"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I've shot deer, bear & bull moose with factory loaded Remington Core-Lokt bullets from various caliber guns.
    My old Ruger Model 77 Mark II "All Weather" bolt action rifle in .300 Win Mag just loves the factory loaded Remington 180 grain PSP Core-Lokt bullets and will put 5 of them within 3/4" of each other @ 100 yards.
    If you do your part the Core-Lokts will do theirs.
    I've compared moose I've killed with Core-Lokts & hand loaded 200 grain Nosler Partition bullets.....all taken with one shot & all VERY, VERY DEAD.
    I've seen so called "Supreme" factory ammo for standard calibers (.308 Win, .30-06 Sprng) loaded with premium bullets priced at well over $60 for a box of 20 cartridges & can't help but think that the game animals being targeted are the 2 legged critters shopping in the stores & not the 4 legged critters in the woods.

this is an interesting post: i have shot core-loct bullets for over 40 years and have found them to be excellent game killers as well as very accurate in all my firearms. having most experience with .35 cal, .30 cal and .280 cal these bullets are a true value in todays premium bullet market.
    using the "old" cup & core design, they upset to 1 1/2 times their caliber with a perfect mushroom (deadly on game) and by using heavy for their caliber bullets they penetrate very well. some states are moving to "no lead bullets" to save the condors (or some other silly motive), but in alaska this is not an issue. in a world where the "experts" are paid by the mfg's, this bullet design gets little notice, as the current trend is 100% weight retention. core-locts deliver perhaps 70%.......but my friends it is hard to criticize the lethality factor.

i have shot bear, elk, and deer and have never been dissapointed with core-locts, they will always be a favorite in my loading room and in the hunt.
    happy trails.
    jh

In my 50 year experience with them it's velocity dependent, as Brian M says. Over 3k fps MV, they're not so good and helped launch the search for more expansion control. Below 3k fps MV, they're dandy. Another coincidence, this time with Pinehavensredrocket, they're especially good in .284, .308 and .358 diameter. Against all instincts, they may be at their best in RNs rather than spitzers. Or perhaps that's because RNs are typically loaded to lower velocities than spitzers. Whatever the explanation, you'd think that big old round nose with lots of lead exposed at the nose would bomb, but they don't. With one exception (270 grain 375, preferred by most guides I know), I won't use them in a belted case, but have no qualms with "06" class rounds. The 270 is marginal in my experience with the 130's, but dandy with the 150's- again, probably keyed to that magic 3k fps MV.

I have only shot them in my .308 but the moose and caribou I have shot with them didn't seem to notice that it wasn't a barnes/nosler triple shock accubond.

They were the greatest bullet ever till the new greatest showed up,did the job then and still can.Remember the 357 mag was almost to powerfull for a handgun till the 44mag jumped in and now the 44mag is a medium power pistol
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

those core-lockts have been the most accurate from my 30-06 shooting well under MOA from a remington 700 they shot better than handloads and the "expensive stuff" at a third of the cost.

I wish that I could get them in 325 WSM. Boy would it be nice to have a round that wasn't 65 bucks off the shelf!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wish that I could get them in 325 WSM. Boy would it be nice to have a round that wasn't 65 bucks off the shelf!!
    Shoulda that about that before going 325 WSM.

I have three recovered bullets from moose sitting in my desk drawer. One Barnes X, one Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and one Core Lokt. The Barnes is as advertised, opened into four cutting petals with full weight retained. The Trophy Bonded is what you'd expect as well. A mushroom shape with nearly 100 percent weight retention, very good for a lead core bullet. The Core Lokd? I have a hollow copper shell with no lead remaining intact. The bullet core fragmented and went everywhere. There was significant meat damage. All three animals died, but moose are easy to kill. I won't use a Core Lokd bullet again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Shoulda that about that before going 325 WSM.
    The rock crusher I picked up recently should cure my booolit cost woes.

I handload myself but I can understand the sticker shock problem on factory ammo these days. I think standard cup and core bullets like Core-Lokt's will serve most people just fine on most animals if they follow the rule that hunters did for years before we had all of these "premium" bullets and that is to use heavy for caliber bullets on heavy game. This raises the sectional density of a bullet which is important for the proper penetration. Be conscience of your varying impact velocities at different ranges with the particular caliber you choose. A lot of people will use the 3000 fps rule (at impact, not necessarily at the muzzle) as a guide for whether they need a premium bullet or not. In my opinion (which is based on my research that was performed by others and my experience) this is probably a good rule. If I thought my bullet out of my particular rifle could meet or exceed that approximate velocity at impact, then I would opt to simply go up to the next available bullet weight to try to slow down the impact velocity a bit which would also give me better sectional density for penetration and more than likely raise the ballistic coeffecient of the bullet to help with downrange trajectory loss from a slower velocity. I have used Hornady Interlock's (cup and core like the Core-Lokt) with great success holding to this little rule.

I can see it now, how the bull moose in Heaven are braggin' as to what bullet they were hit with..."I've got a Nosler Partition in my bread basket!"

Moose next to him, "Oh yeah! I got a Barnes X in my lungs!"

Then Moses, the oldest moose, "Oh yeah, lookie here, @ this .50 round lead ball!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast