Thread: .308 win

Default .308 win

If i wanted to shoot a .308 win with bullet weights from 100 to 200 what would be the best twist rate? I was thinking of a 1:10 due to the heavy's... how (and how bad) would the 1:10 mess up the light ones?
    My intended use for this is a "one stop shop" rifle... have loads made up for small game up to elk and close moose, and black bears. Just grab the right bullet and go.
    This barrel will be on my TC Encore, 24" SS Octogon barrel from MGM.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I doubt you'll notice a difference between them with the light stuff, at least not as much as you'll notice shooting the heavies in a 1:10 rather than a 1:12.

A 10 twist will work fine for your intended weights. You can't really over-spin a light bullet, it's more possible to under-spin a heavy bullet. That is the SIMPLE explanation. I'm sure that some of our posters will immediately turn this into brain surgery or rocket science. If you spin up a VERY light bullet and push it VERY fast then you MAY spin the jacket off of it by centrifugal force, but it really isn't very likely in a 308. Just think of a football thrown with fast spin, it stays stable throughout flight and doesn't tumble. If it isn't spun fast enough when it is thrown, it'll go end over end.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I agree completely with gunbugs; no reason to over think this. If you think you would like to use bullets 180+ grains then go with a 1:10 and sleep easy. For certain applications the slower twist may produce better results in a .308 Win, but in a hunting rifle I'd go 1:10 every time.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1:10 will work just fine with light bullets. I used to shoot 110gr varmint bullets out of an '06 with 1:10 twist with incredible accuracy. Same rifle worked with 220s just fine.

A lot of folks put long 1:12 barrels on .308s trying to wring every bit of velocity from 150gr bullets but 1:10 is really more versatile.

I have a short 20" Ruger Tactical .308 with a 1:10 twist. I have developed 155, 168 and 175 loads. I prefer the 175gr Berger in my application for retained energy and wind resistance but any of the aforementioned loads are fine for hunting within the acceptable kill range of a 308. I consider an acceptable kill range one that hits the animal with at least 1700fps for proper penetration and expansion. In my application 560 yards would be max but I hope I could stalk better than that.

i like gunbugs explaination.....and he is correct. many custom barrel makers offer 1:10 for heavy .30cal. such as the 300win, 308norma, etc to stabilize heavy bullets.
    in the .308 because of the small case a 200gr bullet is unusual (not unheard of) as the optimum weight is 150gr, 165gr, and 180gr... longer bullets will protrude into the case reducing powder capacity. SO a 1:12 would be fine as well.

good luck and..
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    A 10 twist will work fine for your intended weights. You can't really over-spin a light bullet, it's more possible to under-spin a heavy bullet. That is the SIMPLE explanation. I'm sure that some of our posters will immediately turn this into brain surgery or rocket science. If you spin up a VERY light bullet and push it VERY fast then you MAY spin the jacket off of it by centrifugal force, but it really isn't very likely in a 308. Just think of a football thrown with fast spin, it stays stable throughout flight and doesn't tumble. If it isn't spun fast enough when it is thrown, it'll go end over end.
    He meant centripetal force.

Thanks everyone, i am going to stick with the 1:10. Im going to place the order in the morning.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.