Thread: Winston Boron II-MX

Default Winston Boron II-MX

I had the chance today to fish with and test the casting limits of an 8-weight Winston Boron II-MX. All I have to say is HOLY COW!!!

I own and have fished lots with Sage Z-Axis and ZXL and Loomis Crosscurrents, but for my style and "feel" the Winston beats them all hands down. It's very light, but hard to find words for how smooth, yet powerful it is for long casts, while delicate and accurate for the short stuff. I'm not saying it is right for anyone else or that you need to buy one to be cool, but if you can appreciate a really nice rod, at least find an opportunity to cast one.

I repeat, HOLY COW!!! This discovery is going to cost me....

I have 10 of them.

I sold all my sage rods years ago (except for my 8110) and replaced them with the bII-x or bII-mx. Lotta folks give the green rods crap, call them slow and soft, call them "wimpstons", but if you can't cast a full line on a bII-x 8wt or bigger, you need to get some casting lessons.

Word around the campfire is that Winston is introducing a new rod this fall, going to be in between the x and the mx...the bIII-x.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    I have 10 of them.

I sold all my sage rods years ago (except for my 8110) and replaced them with the bII-x or bII-mx. Lotta folks give the green rods crap, call them slow and soft, call them "wimpstons", but if you can't cast a full line on a bII-x 8wt or bigger, you need to get some casting lessons.

Word around the campfire is that Winston is introducing a new rod this fall, going to be in between the x and the mx...the bIII-x.
    They are smooth and cast a mile, but soft. I'm waiting for the b3x 78133 2 hander...just hope it keeps that Winston feel with a little more tip!

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    That's a pretty good campfire. I aint saying more.

As for "soft," yeah, I could collapse the tip if I really stomped on the rod trying for the longest cast. But backing off about 10 percent on the load brought the tip back to life, and actually resulted in longer casts. Kind of an interesting sensation to keep backing off a fraction at a time, then feel the rod jump to life when you hit that right spot. Kind of the reverse of the moment you first hit the load as you're working out line for a cast.