Thread: Bushnell GPS BackTrack

Default Bushnell GPS BackTrack

Well, with all the hunters gearing up I thought it might be a good time to shed some info on this GPS unit!
    Bought one about 3 weeks ago and it works GREAT! Does exactly what its made for. For the hunter or outdoorsman that wants a simple GPS tool this fills the bill.
    1. Has 3 waypoints to mark
    2. Has electronic compass that has been right on target ea time I used it.
    3. You can use it a bit like rangefinder - mark a waypoint, walk to where your shot could be, it will read in feet, yards, miles, and metric equivalents.
    Where this tool is very useful would be to mark your transport vehicle, auto, boat, quad etc, mark your destination - stand, hilltop etc, and use the third waypoint to mark downed game!
    This is SUCH a SIMPLE unit to operate - takes like 5 minutes to learn or less - weighs ounces - and can be bought for about $50.00 or less!
    I have a complicated older unit - way to many waypoints unless you are really into technology - maybe fishing would be good???
    Anyway, this unit will def get you back within feet or a few yards of where you want to go and I can't see anybody struggling to learn to operate it.
    It will not mark a trail - just get you in a straight line to whatever waypoint you choose to mark... For the hunter going into strange country and not wanting to spend a fortune on a unit this seems to be a great tool...
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Glad you found a GPSr that you like. I just have to point out however that the baseline Garmin eTrex H unit can be had for about $75 and will not only navigate around corners via simple route functions, but it will lay down a track of your actual movements and automatically direct you back to the truck via the curved trail you took in. So you're not stuck to a straight line for navigation. I'd estimate that most people could learn how to use it in much less than 5 minutes as it is stupid simple with few bells-n-whistles.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hi Joat!
    Hmm sounds pretty slick - a step up for sure from the Bushnell.
    The Bushnell seems to fill a void for the person that wants a very basic but useable unit and may have only a one time or limited time need for. If it gets lost it is no big dollar amount. Not many people really know how to use a compass and this unit can do that and more.
    For someone going into remote settings frequiently the unit you describe sounds pretty
    darn good!
    Thanks for the input...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Each of my kids will be getting one of these as they hit 7 or 8 and be taught how to use it effectively. It is a good insurance policy at the least!! It is tiny and light to the point that you won't even know you have it on you. A couple years ago I got turned around in an area rabbit hunting. I was in no real danger but it was very inconvenient. I was going light and quick wondering back and forth on bunny trails with just a day pack for storing my catch in a place where I usually use the mountains for nav. Well the clouds dropped nearly to the deck and my mountain guidance system was lost!! I ended up using some near by street lights to find my way back after dark. In the future I plan to take the back track along on these hunts because my full on GPS is just not needed and most of the time the mountain nav system is just fine.