Thread: We need a new family tent. Has anybody owned a Browning?

Default We need a new family tent. Has anybody owned a Browning?

We'd like to buy a durable tent that will perform better in the wind. I'm having difficulty finding reviews online for Browning tents. The Glacier model's info is here.

http://www.browningcamping.com/Brown...er%20Tent.html

I'd love some recommendations as well but we have too small of a budget for bombshelters and such that come so highly recommended here.

1. -300$
    2. 4-8 person We would like 60 to 100 sq ft
    3. sturdy enough for windy and wet beach camping

Talking

Cabela's Alaskan Guide http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...107&hasJS=true

I've had a 6 man for about 10 years and it's the best tent that I've ever owned.

Hard to beat the cabelas guide tent, the 6 man is 340 and they have a free shipping promo going on right now with the code 8XGEAR good through tomorrow.

I have to agree... on the budget you have the AK guide is hard to beat.

I used an 8 man earlier this year and walked away more than a little impressed. For three folks it was a luxe camping palace.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I agree. I've got a 3 man Cabelas guide model that I've been using since 1994, never had a single problem with it other than it's a bit crowded. I've also got the 6 man tent and it works very well for a four man caribou hunt. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    We'd like to buy a durable tent that will perform better in the wind..I'd love some recommendations as well but we have too small of a budget for bombshelters and such that come so highly recommended here.

1. -300$
    2. 4-8 person We would like 60 to 100 sq ft
    3. sturdy enough for windy and wet beach camping
    MidnightSunRebel,
    I didn't find any reviews for any Browning tents, including the Glacier. Formal reviews or websites with organized reviews might focus on "performance" gear...higher dollar investments - I don't know.

From the link you posted, the Browning Glacier meets the -$300 requirement and is 4p, 64 sq ft living space - plus not too heavy (24#).
    Wet, windy beach setting though doesn't sound like ideal setting for a tent with such vertical sidewalls - We've had our Big Agnes Big House 6 tent out in windy conditions, but sheltered behind vegetation and tied off to trees, advantages you might not have on a windy beach. I agree with you - maybe best to search for a better design that meets your requirements. Here are a couple just over the $300 limit:

Some Eureka tents I've read about might be worth a look. Eureka tents have their critics, but the Assault Outfitter 4, $375, 4p dome/3 pole design is billed as a 4-season tent, with 63.75 sq ft plus 2 vestibules.

Cabela's XPG Expedition is a 6p rectangular dome shape for $400: roomy with 74 inch center height but small vestibule

No tents meeting your needs on AOD Swap & Sell, but a couple of tents listed now on Alaska's List - 1 is a Cabela's Guide Tent, 4p:
    http://alaskaslist.com/?cityid=1&lan...tid=0&view=ads

Rewind: There was a good thread awhile back that might be useful:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=tents+family

A used tent seems your best bet - there will be no market for a new tent that fails you. Maybe post a"WTB" ad on AOD?

Good luck.

I have to agree on the Cabaela's AK Guide tent. I’ve had my AK Guide tent for almost ten years now, and it still is, dollar-for-dollar, one of my very favorite gear possessions. It has seven strong indestructible aluminum poles; seemingly indestructible and waterproof material; is reasonably easy to set up once you figure a few tricks out; with my vestibule on, I can guy it down with 48 or more lines; and it can either seal up and take very high winds or you can upon up three large screened windows/doors for comfort in the heat.

My only disappointment is that they no longer make it with the option of the removable 7’ x 10’ vestibule. On really bad wind/rain/snow days, I have set up a nice cooking stove in that thing and stored huge amounts of gear:

MoonBaseMedium.jpg

May06-RauschCreek-Paragon010.jpg

Over the years, before I got this tent, I bought three different "family" or dome tents. I kept convincing myself that I was getting a good deal and the next one would stand and not leak. Two eventually went
    into the fire. One I gave away. I spent for more money in the long run than if I had just goten a good tent from the start.

Marine Hawk-

I've had my Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent for two years now but yours is the first I've seen with that vestubule and it is sweet! I wish I had something that size for the front of mine.

Midnight SunRebel - + whatever number we're at now for AK guide tent. It's awesome thats all I can say. Sounds like you'll need an 8 man. I've got a six and we've slept 4 big guys in it before.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    Marine Hawk-

I've had my Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent for two years now but yours is the first I've seen with that vestubule and it is sweet! I wish I had something that size for the front of mine. ...
    Yeah, I don't know why they stopped making them that way. If mine ever wears out, I'll be sad. It's like having your own attached garage on the tent. I bring a small tarp or drop cloth to put down on the vestibule floor.

Though I've never done it, you also can connect two tents together on each end of the vestibule (one of the vestibule sidewalls can be zipped up and down as a door).

Here's a mildly entertaining video of the Cabaela's Guide tent in AK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM

Thanks guys. I bought a used AK guide tent off of craigslist. It's an older 6 man and we used it in Whittier last week. It worked out great and I'm looking forward to using it less than the ideal conditions we had. I agree what a vestibule MarineHawk.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Here's a mildly entertaining video of the Cabaela's Guide tent in AK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM
    Wow, sold! (I had a story all built up until I watched that and decided not to waste anybody's time, lol, that was awesome.)