Thread: High thrust vs. regular 50 4-strokes

Default High thrust vs. regular 50 4-strokes

Tried this in the boating section, but no luck so here goes:

Curious about you guys' opinions on high thrust vs. standard 50 4 stroke motors; interested in this for Kenai river use and occasional saltwater use on a 18' Bayrunner or maybe a lund.

Any other pros/cons to these motors?

Thinking directly of the Yamaha HT50 & F50.

Thanks, Jim

I got and sure like my T50. I would highly recommend the high thrust. If you've got heavy loads you won't be sorry. The only complaint the T50 has is back trolling it may move you forward slighty ( use a bucket for drag ). So the HT50 to me is a must, but it does cost a little more????

Jim,

It really depends on what boat you end up getting. A regular 50 will be find on an 18' Lund... maybe a stretch on the Bayrunner... maybe. The T50 really shines on boats like those 20' Kenai boats or flatbottom riverboats, or pontoon boats.

The T50 swings the larger hubbed props in the Yamaha line, and is geared to do so, other than that I beleive the Yamaha 50s are the same.

I actually have a Tohatsu 50 and am always amazed at how much 50hp is. I have it on my 16 SeaArk jet skiff and with the pump it is adequate (the same boat will plane out with 2 guys and a 15hp outboard), later I put the 50 on a 16' Duraboat and it was a screamer, way fast. So your boat choice will dictate your outboard choice.

Also look at Wooldridge's website they have an Alaskan XL with the T50 and 5 guys on step (with video).

Sobie2
    Last edited by Sobie2; 08-16-2010 at 11:49. Reason: extra thoughts

Thanks guys; Sobie funny you mentioned the Tohatsu; is that the direct injection model? I did notice that that motor appears to be the lightest 50 around; is it pretty quiet & economical compared to a 4 stroke?
    I'll check the video too.
    Jim

Yep its the TLDI direct injection model.

Sobie, I do keep an eye on craigslist and alaskaslist for a good all-around boat; Bayrunner/Klamath 18' would be my 1st choice, 18' Lund
    2nd. Funny you mentioned the setnet skiffs in the other section; saw one for 5k on clist, but with a 2 stroke 40. Bet a T50 would be great for that.
    Seems like there's more & more Tohatsu's around. Do you know who services them on the Peninsula?
    Thanks-Jim

Marita Sea & Ski in Anchorage does, but I live in Southeast and I have no idea who sells and services them on the Peninsula. BTW I did see that 5K setnet skiff on craigslist and it looks good.

Sobie2

Trakn, what kind of boat are you running? The HT motor weighs more than the F50, assuming that's because of a bigger lower unit/gears/running gear?
    Thanks-Jim

Thumbs up Yamaha regular 50 4-stroke

Will do you fine on a 18' klamath . This is what i have and i love it! Less viberation than a t-50 for a small boat like mine. How ever its still a little fast for trolling but it works. Three people, full fuel, 150lbs. Halibut no problem. 25 mph. Good luck