Thread: Seward Salmon update

Default Seward Salmon update

I fished Friday in the bay and Steve z and I caught about 140 silvers bewteen our two boats. He had a group of 10 and I had 13. We fished hard all day ( mooching with Berkley Gulp and plug cut troll bait) in the pouring rain and caught a ton of fish and lost a bunch more. I would by-pass Pony Cove. That place has very shy on bait and salmon when we both prospected it. Cheval Narrows, Porcupine Cove, Bulldog, Calisto, Caines, Fox/Hive and the head of the bay all have numbers of salmon in them.
    I would say that the bay has not seen this many fish, over such a large area, for quite a few years. If I had a private boat, I would start very early in the morning at any of the above and hang it up early for the day. Try fishing away from the fleet and find a few fish to work on your own. Check you drags and the quality of the leaders. Good luck and be careful in the fog.

Thanks for the info AKCAPT

We did pretty good on sunday. Had a blast with good friends on the boat
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Fished South end of Hat today - lots of fish showing, none biting - moved to Caines Head - lots of fish showing, saw some boated, didn't catch any - Theory: not holding mouth right!

Sounds like the bite inside the bay has slacked off a little. I would try fishing very early or late to miss the crowds of boats. Look like a bunch of boats between Fox and Hive and at Caines Head today. Heard some decent fishing at Calisto and Porcupine Cove, but far from Limits. Sounds like 6 - 12 fish a boat would be a reasonable number. Only a few boats and lots of birds around the Iron Door and Thumb point and on down towards the Ship Lift. The ocean was fairly brutal today but the weather is looking better for the next couple of days. I see blue skies over the bay right now...Good luck with the rest of the Derby..... I am back to fishing every single day until Labor day, so my time of the computer is over for a while......

4 silvers in the boat and one lost at the net today. Saw a crowd at Caines point, but no boats near Thumb Cove... but birds were there feeding... and so were the silvers. Based on what everyone else was bringing back to the cleaning tables, I think I did alright for a someone going on their own in a rented boat, with wife and kids in tow. Herring plug lure was the ticket, slow trolling and a little mooching, using a 6oz weight; think my bait was about 20' down and I was in about 120' of water. 6 yr old son reeled in his first salmon, most of the way at least, and my wife caught her first silver. 3 were at 10 lbs and one at 13 lbs by my scale. Even without fish it would have been a great day, incredibly flat water and clear skies.

are there still any in pony?

Did not go out to Pony Cove. From talking to others at the launch/cleaning tables the fishing was better closer in. Did not hear much radio chatter about PC either.

We always go down the weeks before the derby. This year we had the crappiest weather and fishing I've ever seen during that time. However we did boat 40 silvers during the 12 day period. Worked hard most days for 2 fish or 4 fish! We did have a 10 and a 13 day, with 3 people in the boat. It still beat working and I will schedule my vacation next year for the exact same time!
    My son's friend caught a 21 lb'er in Valdez, during the derby, with no ticket!
    Mike

Thinking of renting a skiff from Millers on Wednesday and fishing between Lowell Point and Caines. Any recent reports?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDuke View Post
    Thinking of renting a skiff from Millers on Wednesday and fishing between Lowell Point and Caines. Any recent reports?
    It was slow for me at Caines, Callisto, did not see to many other people having much better luck, but that doesn't mean it wont get better by wed.

I got 4 at twin rocks and missed quit a few more ( I took my mother and her friend). Headed over to Caines Head and worked north, picking up 3 more fish. they're around it just takes a little work. good luck.
    Boatless

Default Gone or still there by Labor day?

Do you think they will still be around by Labor day, or will the bite be off by then?

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Do you think they will still be around by Labor day, or will the bite be off by then?
    Myers, in my 18 years of experience fishing Res Bay I have learned that it is like every other salmon fishery in this state. If anyone can predict what the salmon fishing is going to be like a week from now I'd really like to become VERY good friends with them. Or they sure could make a lot of money.

One thing you can bank on is, if they are in good numbers further out right now---like Callisto, Pony, Caines Head, etc., then those fish are heading into the bay and could take as much as a week to get to the head of the bay. Just keep looking here and see how things are progressing and that might give you a clue.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Had only one take-down all day yesterday. Covered everything inside the bay to Angnes Cove and on the other side Barwell to port. Silvers are slow. Like I usually tell people that ask....after the 15th you might as well fish Whittier if you want to catch. We did get 2 halibut inside the bay but it was a very slow day.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Fished off of Rugged yesterday and caught 1 halibut but saw absolutely no silvers. We only tried halfheartedly though as we were targeting bottom fish. Did fish some at Pony but didn't feel like fighting the swells as a front was moving in.