Thread: 40 mile air - exactly where are they located?

Default 40 mile air - exactly where are they located?

I know 40 mile air is "addressed" in Tok, but where exactly are they located? Right in town? Google earth shows them as being way up the taylor, but I'm unsure if this is just a remote airstrip they use.

Right on the Hwy, cant miss it once you see planes there is a big hangar, says "40 Mile Air" across the top.

If I recall you're driving in from the lower 48? If so, 40 Mile Air will be the big red barn-like building on your left as you come into town; if you see Fast Eddie's/Young's Motel on the right side of the road, you passed 40 Mile about 1/4 mile back.

If you're coming in from Anchorage/Fairbanks - make a right when you get to the 4-way intersection in town, and 40 Mile will be down a ways on your right.

Perfect, thanks gents!

Make **** sure you roll into town at a good time....Fast Eddies has some of the best grub.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

OT but regarding fast eddies. I used to hunt off the taylor/tok area for years. Before I even get back to the road, I have an order into fast eddies for a pepperoni pizza. that way by the time we hit town its ready. One time I even called in to see if they would air drop one in....they dont offer that service.

As for 40 mile air, you cant miss there building.

I'll head east on a whim for 2 things. Pie at Eureka Lodge, and Fast Eddies.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Hanger is located at MP 1313.2 south side of the highway. The hanger is about 200 yds east of Fast Eddy's. The main intersection mentioned is at MP1314 if coming from anchorage or Fairbanks. Just head east for about a mile on the Alaska. As said you can't really miss the hanger! or the airport.

If the weather is bad you will become very aquainted with Fast Eddy's and their staff I think I ate there for three..b-fast, lunch and dinner back in 2006 waiting for my flight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

AKDoug, you took me back! We did a hunt out of Kotz a few years back and spent two full days hanging out at the Bayview Inn, with probably 30 other hunters who were all waiting for the weather to break. While the grub was good, at the time we all were wishing to be eating Mountain House on the riverbed. Ahhh, the memories!!!!!

I'll be going with 40-mile Air on the 4th for a caribou bowhunt. Does TOK have a store where I can purchase last minute backcountry stuff like isobutane fuel, freeze dried meals... I'll be driving up from Anchorage. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Any suggestions for specialized equipment would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed F

The store does sell some camping related stuff but why take the chance? I you are in Anchorage just pop into REI before heading to Tok.

This is what you are looking for! Can't miss it!

Thanks... I just wasn't sure what they'd have in town. I'll be loading up in Anchorage. Anything worth doing on the drive to Tok or in and around town. I'll have a full day to screw around and get things done... Thanks again. Ed F

Quote Originally Posted by BOWUNTR View Post
    Thanks... I just wasn't sure what they'd have in town. I'll be loading up in Anchorage. Anything worth doing on the drive to Tok or in and around town. I'll have a full day to screw around and get things done... Thanks again. Ed F
    Ed, best bet is to pick up your stuff in Anchorage, Wiggy's Alaska, Mountain View Sports, Fred Meyer, Sportsmans Warehouse are all good bets, lot less inventory in Tok...Tok is a small town, great hunting spot but not a lot of commerce...

The drive from Anchorage takes about 6-7 hours (325 miles approximately), maybe more as there's LOTS to stop and photograph if you haven't driven that way before. The drive is scenic soon as you leave Palmer and head north, good pic opportunities at the Matanuska River; later at Matanuska Glacier; Long Lake (really pretty when the leaves are turning); King Mountain (always a few goats on the side of the hill), Sheep Mountain (awesome chili at the lodge if you go through at lunchtime); Eureka; and so on. It gets flatter as you near Glenallen, another good place for lunch. If you've never driven this stretch of Alaska, you'll soon learn what frost heaves are.

Once through Glenallen a short ride up the road and right on the Richardson Highway, a winding road with lots of great scenery and a fair amount of wildlife. Once you hit Tok check in with 40 Mile to weigh your gear and see if flights are going on schedule, then stop over at Fast Eddie's for some great grub! Nothing like the anticipation the day before a flyout hunt...

Good luck man! I'll be heading out a couple of days before you, we're flying in on the 1st for 7 days....looking for caribou, and maybe a black bear or wolf if we're lucky, to go along with mountains, wild blueberries, big country..nothing like September in Alaska, the best place to be on earth!

Just drove through Tok today, had lunch at eddy's

There is a Three Bears grocery store there with very little camping stuff.

Besides the Three Bears grocery store near the intersection Tok does have a small sporting goods store just west of 40 Mile Air about 300 yds on the south side of the highway. It used to be the Bullshooter but is now called the Outpost (sits next to Three Bears gas) and is now owned by Three Bears. It is devoted to outdoor stuff. They do have a nice variety of of the "forgot mes" as well as license & tags

Don't forget to enjoy the frost heaves on the highway! They are AWESOME when fully loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Don't forget to enjoy the frost heaves on the highway! They are AWESOME when fully loaded!
    Yup...and hope everything is tied down well...

Thanks for everything. I'm gonna rent the smallest car I can in Anc... to make our caribou racks look giant on the ride back !!! Should be fun with the heaves. Good luck on your hunt mdhunter. We fly out on the 4th for an 8 day caribou bowhunt. Can't wait... Ed F