Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bean Bag or Rubber buck shot 12 ga rounds?

Default Bean Bag or Rubber buck shot 12 ga rounds?

Anybody know if you can buy bean bag or rubber buck shot rounds for a 12ga. in Anchorage? I know I can order them online but most places will not ship to AK.

Thanks

JR2

"Most places", you have to really search, but you can find businesses that will ship to AK.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Try Northern Security and Supply.
    Now what ?

Ditto for Northern Security. You can get bean bags and cracker rounds there (not cheap).

Depending on your intended application, I'd forget about rubber buckshot. The stuff is worthless and runs a very high risk of causing permanent damage or death for the critter you are trying to run off. It does nothing for most moose and bear. It penetrates smaller critters such as dogs and can kill them. Bean bags are generally much better as they get the point across very well and run a lower risk of penetration and serious injury when deployed properly... just make sure you're not too close if it is a small critter and always aim for a large muscle mass (hind quarter is best) and never the face, chest wall, or abdomen.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Guys, What Exactly, is in those rounds you speak of?

Rubber Buck Shot I can understand, but Tiny bags of beans, is puzzling.

I'm not joking. I reely wanna know.

Thanks
    Smitty ofthe North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Thanks
    Smitty ofthe North
    Just as Law Enforcement uses...it's a nonlethal shotgun cartridge with a bean bag in it. Probably comparable to a paintball shot, but with a hell of a lot more kinetic energy and a ****load more FPS lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=805t_qFTgy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdURsCsOuJ8&NR=1
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks guys. The critter is a good sized back bear that has been causing trouble around my neighborhood. It has stopped by my house 2 out of the last three nights and is not really scared of the dogs or anything else. My wife uses the air horns on her truck to make it leave but she says it just walks slowly away. The neighbors have loaded up with slugs and are going to DLP the bear if it comes back. I am hoping, once I get home, to give it a couple rubber slugs to the ass and make it go somewhere else, if that is not effective it's the 45/70 and Garrett Hammerheads.

Burn his arse with a load of steel shot. Make sure he's turned away from you and about 25-35 yrds away when you shoot and that you use an open choke and preferably a short barreled shotgun. If you are using a longer barreled gun, extend the range a few yards to allow the velocity to spill off a bit. We use the lower velocity #4 Remington Express steel or Nitro Steel. They both are in the same velocity range.

If he comes back after that, put the dam-dam on him.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Burn his arse with a load of steel shot. Make sure he's turned away from you and about 25-35 yrds away when you shoot and that you use an open choke and preferably a short barreled shotgun. If you are using a longer barreled gun, extend the range a few yards to allow the velocity to spill off a bit. We use the lower velocity #4 Remington Express steel or Nitro Steel. They both are in the same velocity range.

If he comes back after that, put the dam-dam on him.
    The of risk of a wounded bear running about....... is a sure possibility with this type of advice. Real bright stuff dude.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The of risk of a wounded bear running about....... is a sure possibility with this type of advice. Real bright stuff dude.
    Well Dooooood, we do it all the time and I've been doing it close to ten years myself. If you read the details you'd understand the method to the madness. Short barrels, open chokes and the ranges I recommend is to eliminate wounding and maximize pain compliance. If you've ever read a DLP report one of the questions asked is if birdshot was use as a deterrent.

I'm not in the habit of suggesting people do things that won't work or that I haven't done myself.
    Now what ?

Well the short gun is no problem, its mossberg 500 with 18 1/2 inch barrel, only really for defense. I figured if I get the bean bags that I would shoot at the ground in front of it with some buckshot and then when he turns to run I would wack his ass with a bean bag. Not real comfortable with shooting the bear with buck shot and taking a chance at wounding him. The distances involved are only 20-30 FT with where I can be safe and the bear seems to hang out. I will be on my porch and he is on the ground a few ft away.

I agree 20-30 ft is way too close. You'd need at least 25 yrds at a minimum and of course if you aren't comfortable or confident in doing the steel shot thing don't do it. I agree in your situation a beanbag/sock, or fin-stabilized rubber blunt round would be better.
    Now what ?

The bear is back tonight. It pulled all the political signs out of my neighbors yard crossed the street to my next door neighbors where he used his air horns to scare it. Twenty minutes later it was at another neighbors and he was shooting fireworks (read seal bombs) at it to spook it. At that point my wife went to bed.... One of the neighbors who is a hunter and has killed black bears said it was one of the biggest black bears he has ever seen, very healthy looking and very nice coat. Too bad there is not a bow season in the muni... hate to DLP a really good bear and then give it to the state. I go home Thursday and will be loading up to take care of it. My 4.5 year old son is having nightmares about bears getting in the house, I had to talk to him on the phone this evening and tell him we would shoot it if it got it before he would finally go to sleep.

If he`s close enough for a legitimate DLP he`s close enough to 'haze' with hornet spray or bear spray...do yourself and non gun owners a favor and refrain from discharging a firearm in the neighborhood/muni. Lots of ways to make them go away for good...I have a ton of traffic in Bear Valley and haven`t NEEDED to shoot one yet. MY neighbors pit does an excellent job of jumping them and terrorizing them and always wins...yet our 4 year old gets kisses on command from him...nice pooch. I carry all the time in the yard and have had some bears follow me right to the door but that`s how it works when you dwell in their habitat. The kids know there`s bears in the area and act accordingly...even the 4 yr. old knows that she needs to be with someone if she gets far (20 yards) from the door....part of the AK experience.
    Good luck with the issue and wish you and yours well.

Report link...http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/permits/pdfs/dlp.pdf

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

The bear is back tonight. It pulled all the political signs out of my neighbors yard ??

I would like to know who sign's they are pulling before we decide what to do with the bear ????

Quote Originally Posted by fnsakdel View Post
    The bear is back tonight. It pulled all the political signs out of my neighbors yard ??

I would like to know who sign's they are pulling before we decide what to do with the bear ????
    Thats funny! A politically correct or incorrect bear. Depending on the signs as you say, maybe the bear should be rewarded. Somebody drag some roadkill to that guys front yard for mr bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Thanks
    Smitty ofthe North
    Smitty, I shot a cat one time with some of those rubber BB's and they turned him inside out. They need to be more than 10 feet away evidently.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Thats funny! A politically correct or incorrect bear. Depending on the signs as you say, maybe the bear should be rewarded. Somebody drag some roadkill to that guys front yard for mr bear.
    or shot We take our politics seriously !!! LoL

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    If he`s close enough for a legitimate DLP he`s close enough to 'haze' with hornet spray or bear spray...do yourself and non gun owners a favor and refrain from discharging a firearm in the neighborhood/muni. Lots of ways to make them go away for good...I have a ton of traffic in Bear Valley and haven`t NEEDED to shoot one yet. MY neighbors pit does an excellent job of jumping them and terrorizing them and always wins...yet our 4 year old gets kisses on command from him...nice pooch. I carry all the time in the yard and have had some bears follow me right to the door but that`s how it works when you dwell in their habitat. The kids know there`s bears in the area and act accordingly...even the 4 yr. old knows that she needs to be with someone if she gets far (20 yards) from the door....part of the AK experience.
    Good luck with the issue and wish you and yours well.

Report link...http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/permits/pdfs/dlp.pdf
    Yew is talkin Krazy.

I consider it irresponsible to "haze" a bear with the methods you suggest, rather than shoot it DEAD. If you don't they WILL come back, and they'll be more dangerous than before.

Safety, is far more important than favoring non-gun owners.

Bears don't pay taxes on your property. Lett'em habit some other Tat, or pay the PRICE.

ENOUGH, of this kissie kssie attitude towards bears.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty, I shot a cat one time with some of those rubber BB's and they turned him inside out. They need to be more than 10 feet away evidently.
    Thanks EKC:
    It's good to know those rubber BBs have merit.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast