Thread: Fresh salmon in the valley?

Default Fresh salmon in the valley?

Was wondering if there are any decent chums and pinks in the valley streams still. Hoping to get up there shortly to fish for salmon in general, especially silvers, but are the other salmon species too far gone already? Thinking Montana, Sheep, Goose, etc. Thanks!

I fished Montana, Sheep, Sunshine, and Larson this last week for 2 days with 2 other people. I did not see anyone of us catch any pinks or chums we would want to harvest, all were released. We managed a few sockeye and 1 silver that we harvested. You can still harvest any of those pinks and chums (I see folks do it)...I personnaly think they are not going to be the best table fare any more. Silvers should be great to put on a plate in valley still!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I've heard the silvers have been really good lately in Jim's and the little sue. Stands to reason montana will have some too. Not sure about pinks and chums.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I hit up Willow creek and Cottonwood creek Friday and Saturday. Plenty of pinks and chums in the Willow with a silver here and there, but the water is high and the run is dwindling down. And slim pickings at Cottonwood today. We did manage two silvers, but I'm guessing the run is slowing down there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I've heard the silvers have been really good lately in Jim's and the little sue. Stands to reason montana will have some too. Not sure about pinks and chums.
    Jimmy was windy as all hell today and the recent rains have the silt line quite a bit less defined then last time I was there. I hooked into two with the fly rod and somehow got two mepps spinners out of both of them. IMO, it's not worth the drive from Anchorage...unless you go by the name of y0gee...lol! I still might head back out there tomorrow, it's such an easy drive!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Man if the dogs and humpies aint fresh from the ocean I wont touch them...even then I dont bonk them...got enough reds and kings.

As for coho's, careful with them. If they are blushed at all they get kinda mushy imho. Especially hens...the bucks stay firmer a LITTLE longer. If you fillet one up and see some white meat, well dont expect it to be good steak or grilling fish. I'm sure they're OK smoked.

I was at sheep creek slough last night and plucked out two fresh pink bucks, no humping, still bright. Only reason we kept em was because my mom is in town and it was her first salmon catch you can definitely tell the difference when you cook em up, the meat is less firm than the sockeyes we grilled up for her a couple nights ago, but the meat was still tasty. Caught both on Pautzke's Fire Cure eggs.

Thanks guys, guess I will stay down south on the peninsula!

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to get some fresh silvers up north
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thumbs up

Bagged several limits of silvers last week at Sunshine and Sheep on roe, the bite was best between 5:00am and 6:00am. All the fish were bright and most were chromers. Had a blast in the rain!

Sunshine1.jpgSunshine2.jpg

Default Anything left to catch in the valley

I'm taking tomorrow off just to put a line in the water. I'd like to catch pinks, chums, or silvers - mainly just for fun. Anything going on in the valley? Where would be my best chance of getting some fish?

Headed up to Montana Creek yesterday after work. Fished the mouth and managed a limit of salmon after a few hours of "work." Brought home two fresh silvers and one chrome chum. Not a ton of fish to be had but still pretty good fishing. Did catch and release before getting the right color. Quite a few of the silvers are turning red. The pinks are almost gone, the chums are spawning for the most part but some bright ones still around. Beautiful, sunny day. Black was the "color" of choice.

Heard from a couple that just returned from Byers Creek that the pinks and chums are thick up there with some nice silvers and a few fresh reds coming in too. They said the pinks and chums were in the middle of spawning though and the silvers turning as well.