Thread: Help! First Time and Archery Season is running out!

Default Help! First Time and Archery Season is running out!

Hey all, took some leave to hunt this month and have had the crappiest luck. Looking for a Area around 14A/B To start checked out the flats and a few other areas around Willow, any help is much appreciated...

Lol. You and 300 other bow totin dudes are traveling unit 14 lookon for the same thing. Doubt you'll get any solid advice other than to heas out and hit the woods. Be sure to carry a few arrows for small game though. I had a kick ass time takin spruce chickens with my son today.

There was 2 legal bulls my neighborhood for 2 weeks, dissapeared come bow season.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Lol. You and 300 other bow totin dudes are traveling unit 14 lookon for the same thing. Doubt you'll get any solid advice other than to heas out and hit the woods. Be sure to carry a few arrows for small game though. I had a kick ass time takin spruce chickens with my son today.

There was 2 legal bulls my neighborhood for 2 weeks, dissapeared come bow season.
    Yep, pretty hard to get any info on moose in the valley! As to those yard bulls they are probably hiding out in one of your neighbors freezers by now!

Yeah, a buddy of mine off of KGB sent me a picture via text of a legal spike, then was nice enough to rub it in that he just shot it. Story of my life. Oh well thanks for the help guys.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

typically it is not a run out and grab a moose type of deal... i average 6-10 hours a day with binos in my hand spotting and learning moose before i drop one.. and i am one that does it every year... last year took 23 days in my hunt area to finally connect and i know it like the back of my hand... there is NO SUBSTITUTE for time in the feild... if your hunting the valley and driving home in the evening... your not out there enough... prolly 90 percent of my moose have been taken that last hour before dead dark... especially when warm out
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info, yeah I definitely agree with you, problem is I fly in and out of the country a lot so I cant get that fundamental field time. If I could I would just sit out there, nowhere else I'd rather be.

When approaching the 14A archery hunt, you need to go in with the knowledge and expectation that it is a low-odds hunt. I have no idea what the actual success rate is on this early hunt, but I would bet it is no more than 10%. Obviously time afield and experience plays a role, but while still summer and with the moose unresponsive to calls, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. I hunted an area yesterday where I usually see 10-15 moose in a morning of walking around. This time I only saw two cows and three calves. No bulls, but really I didn't expect to see any. It was time in the field, and you just never know when luck might strike. If I only had limited time off each fall for moose hunting, this early archery hunt is not where I would spend it. It's a good excuse to get out early and one might possibly connect, but it is a low odds game.

Palmer flats carries too much wetlands. I know there's moose out there, but packing meat thru a consistant 2-3 feet of water and bog is not easy. Pt Mack and Burma rd is mostly private property. Even tho early, the moose are slowly making their way back to the hills for rut.

Do what does that leave you? Grab an atlas and look for areas. I was out for 4 hours yesterday in 1 area covering an old atv trail that does see occassional use, but I saw more moose, black and brownie prints than almost any other trail I've ever been on.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Headin to work 300 yds outta the driveway, hung 2 rights and what do yah know....2 3-4 yo forks. Both Mia from 10-17 lol