Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighting new rifle/scope, Run out of R-L side adjustment??

Default Sighting new rifle/scope, Run out of R-L side adjustment??

This is a new one to me, I bought my wife a youth .243 Rem 700, and put a Leup VX3 2x8 on it. We took it out today and tried to get it sighted at 50 yds to start. I could only get to within 6" of the grouping. It keeps shooting 6" left before I run out of windage adjustment. The mounts are all sturdy and tight. I talked to a fellow shooter at the range and he suggested that the base screw holes may be off center? I'm not saying it's not, but this is odd to me on a factory machined rifle. Has anyone seen similar problems or maybe suggest something else. I will remount the scope to make sure all is good in the morning and then bore sight it. Still seems strange to me??
    Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mayormack View Post
    I talked to a fellow shooter at the range and he suggested that the base screw holes may be off center? Has anyone seen similar problems or maybe suggest something else.
    More common than you might believe- I've seen two factory rifles that had that problem. You don't mention what type of mount you're using and that can be a contributing factor too. If you use a redfield type mount (now made by everybody) with the opposing screw heads on the rear base and a turn in type front base you can get some pretty substantial windage adjustment out of it and correct some sloppy machining. That's probably the reason they were invented come to think of it...

If you're already using that type of mount you might check that the rear ring is centered in the base.

hodgeman,
    I'm using weaver bases.
    I guess someone is making a tapered type ring also to combat this type of machining. Kind of acts like a shim to push the scope tube to one side or another.
    Thanks for the info.

mayormack:

Milett,Angle Loc scope rings should work for you in this case. They are kind of a pain in the butt to adjust this way but it can be done. Just took care of the same problem on one of my rifles last week. You can adjust the scope rings from side to side when you are tightening them up to the bases.

222R

Quote Originally Posted by mayormack View Post
    hodgeman,
    I'm using weaver bases.
    I guess someone is making a tapered type ring also to combat this type of machining. Kind of acts like a shim to push the scope tube to one side or another.
    Thanks for the info.
    Fairly common occurrence I'm afraid. Normally doesn't make as much difference as you are finding here, but it sometimes happens. You can proceed a couple of different ways. The easiest I know of is to use Redfield type bases which allow significant windage adjustment in the rear base. Burris makes their Signature Zee rings for Weaver type bases and there is a kit that will allow 20 minutes of adjustment in the front and rear ring by way of synthetic inserts for up to 40 inches of adjustment. You could have the rifle drilled and tapped for 8x40 screws by a competent gunsmith. The alignment can most likely be fixed this way and you would not need windage adjustment in the bases or rings; of course you would need bases for a 8x40 screws which the gunsmith can fix or are readily available for 700 actions. Millet rings or the like could also work, but that would be my least favorite way to remedy this problem.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I can remember when some of the earlier USA Repeating Arms Winchesters came from the factory with Leupy bases because they knew from the git go that the scope base hole were off and they didn't have the quality control to correct it. They probably figured it was cheaper to send a set of free bases that would correct the problem rather than to have all of those rifle coming back for repair.

I can't honestly say that I've ever seen holes missdrilled on a Remington though? Is that common?

If the rifle is shooting that far to the side the misalignment should be visible when looking at the scope and receiver from the top of the rifle. Follow the left edge of the scope tube and compare it to the left edge of the receiver. In any case I would go to a Leupold style 1 or 2 piece base and rings. As already mentioned, that will easily clear up the problem by allowing you to make large windage adjustments in the base, and keep the reticle essentially centered in the scope tube, which will allow for more available elevation adjustment. With the weavers you can also experiment with reversing the direction of the side that the clamp of one of the rings is on, although that looks kind of funky.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I used Burris rings with the inserts to cure same problem on my model 70 375 H&H

Thanks everyone for the input. I bought Leupy adjustable rear, bases and rings today. It looks good with the bore sight, but I need to get it to the range and check. Funny, I have owned dozens of rifles over the years, and have never come across this problem. Sara at Mt View, got me lined out, and said to bring it in if I can't make it work. Nice people!
    Thanks all.

I don't like the adjustable rears because they are hard to keep tight, but they are the solution to your problem. When you get close, make sure you take the screws out and apply blue loctite.

If your receiver is that out of wack, just changing bases is not the solution. The firearm should be returned or repaired

Trade off the leupold and remington, and retool with a burris/browining.......then things might work out much better for yah. can't stand over-rated remington junk, or equally over-rated leupold.

Dennis,
    I will do that after my wifes cow tag is filled, but this close to the opener I didn't want to risk not having her rifle ready.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by 222R View Post
    mayormack:

Milett,Angle Loc scope rings should work for you in this case. They are kind of a pain in the butt to adjust this way but it can be done. Just took care of the same problem on one of my rifles last week. You can adjust the scope rings from side to side when you are tightening them up to the bases.

222R
    Millett IME&O is the worst brand of ring on the market. They are soft junk and will lead to far more problems than they will ever fix... They are the only ring I have seen fail more than once and my use of them has been very limited...
    YMMV

I'm with Hap on this one. I would avoid Millett rings and use something of higher quality.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Just a thought but is the barrel straight?

I would look down the side of the scope as Gunbugs suggests if it looks straight with the receiver then stand behind the rifle (maybe with the scope off and look over the receiver and barrel it could have been bent in shipping.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Just a thought but is the barrel straight?

I would look down the side of the scope as Gunbugs suggests if it looks straight with the receiver then stand behind the rifle (maybe with the scope off and look over the receiver and barrel it could have been bent in shipping.
    I have seen bent barrels and off-center bores on quite a few rifles. A bore sighting will check one and just looking through the bore will check for a bend. A bent barrel will show as a football shape through the bore. Move your eye around a bit and even tiny bends will become obvious.
    art

Default Florida traffic school tips.

Being competent to find coolness, scamper, and previously is the description to move to an intersection safely. A reputable florida traffic school can help you understand this. Drivers must be able to clinch how much point it longing decide them to proceed sometimes non-standard due to the intersection at their current hurry of travel. Do they fool the time at that speed to safely journey the required detachment in the forefront a cross-traffic state of affairs occurs? You obligated to be prepared to stop within the last 100 feet ex to an intersection. If you befall to pass these marks, do not back your vehicle up, as pedestrians may be walking behind your vehicle. Glancing by the way lanes are in behalf of passing. There is no secretive or dodge to driving, the driver hardly needs to be paying attention. Motor mechanism operators should use a love lane when the attempted maneuver is perceived as non-poisonous and discerning and can be completed without the wear and tear of cloying speed. The maneuver must also be completed within a moderate amount of for the nonce at once, and the driver be required to be enduring adequate visibility of all roadways and vehicles he or she may affect or be affected by. Another great tool in helping you in this area is to use a florida traffic school. Drivers should be advised that highway on-ramps are after transport to and preparation after highway driving. When entering highways, drivers must no longer travelling at the drastically reduced speeds unavoidable quest of conurbation driving. Drivers are called upon to spread speeds to that of the highway traffic and necessity the on-ramp and resultant merging lanes as a means to purl smoothly into highway traffic. Drivers essential signal, increase expedition, and unite safely into the go of traffic. Unite lanes, of passage, are acquainted with object of “merging” – they are typically unplentiful by nature and pass on cessation at some guts in time. Lane closures also cessation at some juncture in time. Closed lanes on a highway instruct unorthodox r‚clame and driver courtesy. Some drivers will wait until the matrix reasonable half a mo and attempt to press into see trade ahead the lane closes. Other drivers necessity to be au fait that these drivers are a sure threaten to the bubble of traffic. Attempts to design such capricious drivers may up to other more serious consequences, such as driver confrontations or multiple passenger car crashes. All drivers have a chargeability to correct their tear in status to allow gaps an eye to merging traffic. If drivers decently space their following distance, these adjustments wish be trivial and highly capable to the soft flow of traffic. If you are traveling in the settle lane and you compare with a freeway onramp, you should be in the know that other above may whack at to merge either in front of you or behind you. If you can, it is greatest to affect out of the aptly lane to allow these vehicles easier entrance. More tips on defensive driving will follow.

I don't know much about traffic school, but my buddy had the same problem (bore/scope alignment) with a brand new Sendero this Spring. He sent the rifle back to Remington and they sent him a new rifle post haste. I'm wondering if this isn't a recurring problem.

I'm surprised (or perhaps I missed) that someone didn't bring up the possibility that the rifle might be OK, the rings OK, but the scope defective. I would have borrowed another scope to try first. If the 2nd scope produced the same result, then change out rings. If that doesn't change things, then you know that the rifle is out of whack and time to send it back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast