Thread: Baultoff Creek

Default Baultoff Creek

I know we are in the middle of sheep season but I'm trying to plan a sheep hunt for 2011. I'm wondering if anyone has ever hunted the Baultoff Creek area? I've tried searching the forums and only came up with two results...neither of them having to do with hunting sheep. I'm kinda limited on resources over here so any help anyone can provide would be great. Thanks.

Kenai, Alaska

I've been in there twice, but it was many years ago. We did take out three nice rams. It was hit pretty hard by a guide service and there were a couple other unguided parties in there. I would not go opening day, unless you are in a highly competitive frame of mind. I like to go the 3rd or 4th week of the season when things have calmed down a bit after the opening week assault. I believe that the air strip is at about 4,000 feet and on our first hunt in there we spotted legal rams from the strip and never had to spike out. I would plan on spiking out at least a half day or more from the strip. It is nice country, pretty close to the Canadian border, and there use to be some nice rams in the area. Sorry, but I don't know what it has been like in recent years.