Thread: Starter Problems

Default Starter Problems

I'm hoping for a little help. I'm not terribly mechanical, so please be gentle...

I have a '99 Yamaha Kodiak 400. It was at my dad's place in Calif, and my kids brought it up to me. When I tried to charge the batter on it (6v), the starter automatically kicked in. Even with the key and the switch off. The only thing that i THINK may have happened to it down in Cali, is they may have jumped it w/ a 12v battery charger.

Any ideas where to start? I'm guessing starter or starter relay, but can't even find the starter relay...

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your various brains!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the solinoid on the stater is stuck take a small hammer or large wrench and tap the part the wires are hooked to.. if that don't fix it buy a new starter and bolt on.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks! That's what i need. Will hit it tomorrow. :-)

I really think that you are wrong about the voltage on your Yamaha Kodiak. I would be very surprised it is isn't 12 volt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    the solinoid on the stater is stuck take a small hammer or large wrench and tap the part the wires are hooked to.. if that don't fix it buy a new starter and bolt on.
    Vince, hit it with a hammer? Dang, remind me not to buy anything off of you....haha. That trick does work. Got me out of a lot of bad spots with my dad's old chevy crew cab back in the day. Swearing at it also seems to help, although this technique appears to have intermittent results.

you may be right about the voltage... I hadn't even looked, just made an assumption. Now i'll have to check... Thanks!