Thread: How do you like them clams?!

Default How do you like them clams?!

Went clamming at Polly Creek on Thursday, just finished cleaning all the clams about half an hour ago.

Now that we have at least 60lbs of clam meat in the freezer, who wants to share some recipes?!

Happy as a clam at high tide to be toting the last of the clams to the vacuum packer.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

haha! yeah digging them is the fun part right? nice buch there...some tasty chowder in the making!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congrat's on the clams!

When fresh I'll dress them with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, fresh herbs if on hand and fresh ground pepper mix well then grill for a couple of minutes on each side put on a plate and give a squirt or two of lemon to finish.

For fried clams I like to use Panko crumbs, but honestly seasoned flour is great as well, just don't over cook.

our clams were tough but still good we did clam chowder

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLeiLannei View Post
    Went clamming at Polly Creek on Thursday, just finished cleaning all the clams about half an hour ago.

Now that we have at least 60lbs of clam meat in the freezer, who wants to share some recipes?!
    I've got a clam ceviche recipe around here somewhere. That's where the clam meat "cooks" only by virtue of being exposed to citrus; it is not cooked with any heat. If you're interested, I'll look around for it.

I haven't needed it in awhile; I haven't had time to clam lately.

Those are great pics! Thanks. Looks better than the poor beaches in Ninilchik and Clam Gulch this year. Lots of clams, just small. Should be great in a few years. Looking at a nice tote of cleaned razors is a great sight.

We grind ours up with a potato and onion and make fritters out of them. Unfortunately the lagoon where we dig ours is full of red tide right now and they probably won't be safe until December or so. Yesterday the sun came out briefly and the water was so red it looked like someone slaughtered baby all the baby whales in it.
    Now what ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    We grind ours up with a potato and onion and make fritters out of them. Unfortunately the lagoon where we dig ours is full of red tide right now and they probably won't be safe until December or so. Yesterday the sun came out briefly and the water was so red it looked like someone slaughtered baby all the baby whales in it.
    i remember those out on adak... the beachs would be covered for weeks from it... and the SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not so much a recipe, but a method of cooking. My wife frys our razors in a very hot skillet or wok to bring out more flavor. Chop and add to pasta, chowder, etc. Nice clam catch and well organized cleaning stations. What time was dinner?

I have never gotten any clams in Alaska but I learned a good clam lesson in North Carolina. As a youth and stationed at Ft. Bragg myself and some Army buddies made a road trip to the coast. Camped for night on the beach and went after the clams as they were very plentyful. My friends all had clams the size of golf balls. I had soft ball size! Was I proud. Must have been the testosterone. As we roasted them on a fire and ate them I quickly realized that my friends all liked theirs. Mine were so tough they were literally non eatable. Shoe leather would have been better. Then I realized why they have shoestring clams. Because they shread them. Hard lesson but well learned.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I've got a clam ceviche recipe around here somewhere. That's where the clam meat "cooks" only by virtue of being exposed to citrus; it is not cooked with any heat.
    That sounds interesting. I've done ceviche with octopus, but not clams. I'll have to try that next year!

Man invented a food processor for persons like you! Use it to render anything tough into a paste and then add your secret ingredients and cooking techniques to render what you caught into magic...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    our clams were tough but still good we did clam chowder
    Try running them through your meat grinder for using in chowder if you donít mind them in small pieces. Also, when they have been ground they have better flavor. Freezing them seems to make them tough and making chowder cooks them too long to preserve any tenderness also. Deep fried is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Where is this "red tide" you speak of?