9 19.57%
  • Both used equally as often

7 15.22%
  • 6mm most the time, but 8mm at times

12 26.09%
  • 8mm most the time, but 6mm at times

12 26.09%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm or 8mm beads on the Upper Kenai in late Sept...

Default 6mm or 8mm beads on the Upper Kenai in late Sept...

Just that simple (for you). I am pretty torn but can't find 7mm beads anywhere

Getting ready to come up Sept 18-30 and will be on the Upper Kenai fishing for bows the whole time.

What size beads would you stock up on?

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Just that simple (for you). I am pretty torn but can't find 7mm beads anywhere

Getting ready to come up Sept 18-30 and will be on the Upper Kenai fishing for bows the whole time.

What size beads would you stock up on?

-Dan
    Dan
    Stop in at Worldwide Angler on Lake Otis when you get in, if you get there before they close, they have 7mm beads.
    I've already told you I use 8mm about 90 percent of the time, but I also use 6,7 and 10mm beads as well.

do those things catch fish?

yup....they work well. If they didnt they wouldnt have made a fly only water where beads were illegal (which was the intent of what the people were going after, to make beads illegal).

I'm not a big bead fan, I do carry some, have no clue what size they are LOL!

I can tell you how to paint them though if you dont already know. Use a small paper lunch sack and some white (or your choice) spray paint. Paint the inside of the bag with paint, drop in beads and shake and bake....works like a champ. Dont ask what kind of paint you'll have to explore your own....I THINK I used some whiteish testors spray, but it's been so long I dont honestly remember.

My wife hates beads She says they never work We use them in the fall and they do work well.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    My wife hates beads She says they never work We use them in the fall and they do work well.
    They do work... Sometimes they are ALL that will work on the smaller streams as the fish really key in on eggs... The technique can be difficult to master though - A dead drift with NO drag is absolutely necessary, then set the hook when you feel the line hesitate. Also color can be key - if the fish are eating older eggs, a fresh roe colored bead is not going to work where a peach color will!

Don't get me wrong, I love nymphing and traditional fly fishing - I almost dread the salmon showing up because it means I'll have to switch to beads, but I do it because they work!

Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest, I could give two shets about fishing beads. I don't wake up thinking about it. I would rather be swinging leeches in a gin clear stream myself. However, to be a fisherman, you must be adaptive. And for me, that means learning how to fish beads and doing it well. My mending skills are fair at best and I know little about selecting a bead size, bead color, or when to change. A very random selection of "Hey, that looks good", to "Hmm maybe this would be better", to plain ole "F*#K it, I will try this one". Just fished them for the first time last year and while I got some fish, my results were mediocre. Hoping to do better this year. I do appreciate your input here as always. I am a little smarter today than yesterday because of it. Admittingly, that ain't saying much.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest, I could give two shets about fishing beads. I don't wake up thinking about it. I would rather be swinging leeches in a gin clear stream myself. However, to be a fisherman, you must be adaptive. And for me, that means learning how to fish beads and doing it well. My mending skills are fair at best and I know little about selecting a bead size, bead color, or when to change. A very random selection of "Hey, that looks good", to "Hmm maybe this would be better", to plain ole "F*#K it, I will try this one". Just fished them for the first time last year and while I got some fish, my results were mediocre. Hoping to do better this year. I do appreciate your input here as always. I am a little smarter today than yesterday because of it. Admittingly, that ain't saying much.

-Dan
    You woman kicked ass on beads last year and you will this year. Plus with the time frame your coming up we will be moving into flesh and a few other things. Just watch what Miss Carrie does and you will be fine
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That biitch has two left hands and couldn't catch a fish in a fish hatchery

But she does follow directions better than me

Looking forward to another chance on the bows this year. I have one haunting memory of the one that got away (twice) last year. Likely a 24-26" bow from what I saw both times I hooked it and it jumped.

Or as Dave would say, a 30"+

If you're feeling crafty, you can make some beads! I did it and they turned out pretty sweet. Much more natural colors than shiny plastic ones. Honestly I haven't tried them yet though...so I guess I have to see how effective they are first! I'm also worried if they are just going to break on the rocks bouncing around the bottom of the river (beads are clay). You can have a look come palooza time. I have plenty.

I voted 6 and 8 equally. Stock up on both. Throw in a few colors of 10mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    I'm also worried if they are just going to break on the rocks bouncing around the bottom of the river (beads are clay). You can have a look come palooza time. I have plenty.

They should be fine man. My buddy made a bunch of the Claymore eggs for a float trip in SW a few years ago. He also took some to emulate chum eggs on one of our arctic NW floats. They worked and he caught some fish. Like I said, my interest in beads has previously been quite low so I didn't use them. I don't recall him having any issues with durability. Link below with some info that may be of interest to you. See you in Sept man.

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/clayegg.html

-Dan

yea I tried to cheat and not drill and just poke a toothpick through before I baked them. Now I think the holes may be too big for a toothpick. I might just have to loop the leader around them, or run 2 pegits in opp. directions through the bead. Well see though! Thanks for the link, same technique and everything I used.

My buddy is a cheap basterd. I almost guarantee you that he used the toothpicks to make the holes. They worked fine from what I recall. Sounds like you have some good back up ideas just in case, but I bet they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    If you're feeling crafty, you can make some beads.
    Been thinking on this and you got me curious. Where did you buy the clay? If I can find an online retailer, I might give it a try. My buddy made some several years ago with clay from a local craft store. I am interested in making some 7mm beads. Posting here rather than a PM in case anyone reading this might have a clue. Any suggestions on where to buy (online) or the basic process you used would be cool. Curious how to maintain uniformity. Might have to invent something volumetric that will result in the desired size bead at the end. Proof on some micrometers. Sounds tedious. Just what I need to occupy these last few weeks before I fly up.

-Dan

Dan, same here as far as interest. I do fish them under a indicator though, probably miss a ton of fish, oh well.

If you make it up to these parts (fairbanks area) holler....

Will do man

Here is some light reading that explains the disparity in the poll...

"Color is an important part of any imitation, but depending on the ambient light, water clarity, or speed, the profile or general size of a fly is often more important than color. Most of the commonly found beads are either 6mm or 8mm, but not all salmon eggs fall in one of those two categories. Sockeye eggs, for instance, are mostly 7mm."

From...

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.co...rtheneggs.html

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/clayegg.html

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pr...-polymer-clay/

"Color is an important part of any imitation, but depending on the ambient light, water clarity, or speed, the profile or general size of a fly is often more important than color.."
    I would disagree with this. At least where beads are concerned.
    In my experience with beads the color and presentation are the most important aspects. I'd even put presentation first. Color second. I've found that if get those aspects right, you'll catch fish on most bead sizes. Trout are smart, and can be picky. But I don't often find trout that say, oh wait... that one is 6mm and not 7mm. Or crap, that bead is a millimeter bigger than it's suppose to be. If it's the right color for the species and time of year, and it looks right in the water, something is going to eat it. Unless it's obviously bigger or smaller than it's suppose to be. Using a 12mm bead for example might be a poor choice, or a 3mm bead.
    It seems to me you're quibbling over 1 measly millimeter. I suppose if your goal is to be the ultimate bead maestro.. than stock up on beads of all sizes. If you just want to catch fish.. you're over-thinking the situation.

For reference; 1 millimeter is 0.03739 inches. That's almost 4/100 of an inch.. .. just saying

I agree with you. I do like overthinking things. A hobby of mine in fact.

I found a 7mm bead roller online and about 100 colors of clay to choose from.

Putting an order together today.

This device will make 4,5,6,7, or 8mm beads.

Yeah baby

Been thinking on this and you got me curious. Where did you buy the clay? If I can find an online retailer, I might give it a try. My buddy made some several years ago with clay from a local craft store. I am interested in making some 7mm beads. Posting here rather than a PM in case anyone reading this might have a clue. Any suggestions on where to buy (online) or the basic process you used would be cool. Curious how to maintain uniformity. Might have to invent something volumetric that will result in the desired size bead at the end. Proof on some micrometers. Sounds tedious. Just what I need to occupy these last few weeks before I fly up.

-Dan
    Sorry it to so long to respond, I just took little pieces of colored clay, rolled them into what I thought to be 6mm 7mm 8mm beads and then just rolled them as close to a round ball as I could get. I didn't use any fancy ball rollers or measure anything. I just took the clay beads I rolled and held them next to a regular bead. I just bought the clay from a crafts store. pink, white, orange, red, skin tone, dark pink/purple. Some beads turned out awesome, I'll take a pic in a bit and PM it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast