Thread: Close call?

Default Close call?

I was coming back to Whittier, above Knight Island Passage somewhere, I think around the Main Bay area on Thursday afternoon. I met two boats that were charging south, one following comforably behind the other. The first was a pretty large cat and the second was a GlacierCraft (I think). I was looking close to see the name of the GC boat when all of a sudden this huge humpback burst out of the water, right in between the two boats, and they were doing well over 25 knots. That thing went all the way out of the water spinning and came down what looked like 5 or 10 feet in front of the bow of the GC boat! It scared me so much that I yelled and woke my kids up. (I could be wrong, but that's exactly how close it looked to me). The two boats didn't even slow down. On the radio I mentioned that it was a very close call, but no response. The humpback continued to spy hop, then jump madly over and over in that order until it was tired I guess. Here is a picture. Watching that happen was unreal and it looked to me from my vantage point like it was a very close call.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Great picture and story. That whale has not missed any happy meals either.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

What an awesome picture!!!!!! Great Job

I'm wondering who was in the boat. I'd love to hear from them about the experience.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I think they're doing their laundry right now! At least cleaning their shorts! Holy smokes!

I am proud to say this wasn't our boat "Killer Instinct" (a Glacier Craft) that this whale jumped in front of (See our experience in the thread titled "Hit by a Humpback Whale"). If this did happen to us AGAIN, I would say there's a used Glacier Craft now up for sale..... one of the cons: "Draws in whales like a Magnet"....