Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 26 Snowy Owl

Default Unit 26 Snowy Owl

I've decided my first 'trophy' hunt will be for snowy owl in unit 26. If anyone has hunted or worked up there and knows of a spot where I 'cant go wrong' I would appreciate it. I've never been up to the north slope so I dont know where to start but I want to plan it now.
    (and yes, I plan to eat the meat of the bird, because that is the only way I can legally take them)
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Oh ya, they taste great. The ONLY bird in the Arctic thats anywhere close to chicken in tatste.

They like to perch high, and if you can find river banks with willows look on the high banks you might spot one. Look for them on trail marking steaks on snowgo trails as well, if your crossing vast tundra.
    They hunt Snowshoes in the river willows, and Arctic Hares on the Tundra

If I'm rabbit hunting, I can easily call any Owl over with loud squeeking noises ,I wet my lips, then a squeeky reverse whistle~~LOL!!~~ same as predator calls.

They are not very shy, you can easily get to 50 yards before they get uneasy. They will fly over for a look if their young and your not acting crazy.

Good Luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

if you are looking for a mount, i am fairly sure that you will need permits to possess it, and will have a hard time getting a taxidermist willing to deal with the red tape, if it is even possible.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The regs state "may only be taken if used for food or clothing" So if I do a good job harvesting as much breast meat as possible, I'm not sure what would be stopping me from having it mounted. Moose are the same way. You can only hunt them for the purpose of eating them, but you are free to have them mounted after harvesting the meat. I figure they couldnt be super concerned with that especially since they list no limit, no closed season.
    Strangers: So do you think the Hall Road would be worth road hunting? Should I try to get closer to Prudhoe Bay?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Snowy owls are still considered a bird of prey,and are subject to federal regulations.
    Better do your homework before you show up at a taxidermists with a dead owl
    " food and clothing" doesn't sound like it allows for a trophy mount.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

if you mounted it on a base that you could put on your head...that would be clothing right.......if they ask just tell them that you dont' always wear that hat
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Dispense with the arm chairing here, HV; call AK F&G...
    They will give you the straight.
    Proud to be an American!

Default Is this thread for real?

Sometimes I think I've heard it all, then I see something like this thread on the AOD hunting forum.

Several times we have had people talking about killing a pet, using guns traps, and arrows, the only time it was stop was when they started using clubs. I figure as long as they don’t use a club or skin the owl alive the moderator doesn’t have a problem.

I know nothing about the roads or Prudehoe, just the tundra and the birds, as they are the same here.

I shoot Snowy owls to eat, and the whole thing is big enough, no need to just Breast out, heck , have a drumstick
    3 make a good meal for the family , I like 'em fried with breading, sure beats boiled ~~LOL!!~~

Oldtimers used to put up logs on high spots with a trap on tip. Caught Owls, Ravens, Ptarmigan, ect., most all the winter birds, as well, they had a use for everything. Not the way or even legal anymore.....

I think the Feds rule over Migratoy birds, I fairly sure you hunt Snowy owls with State laws.Maby different on Fed lands....Anyway, cover your donkey , check the laws and do 'er right!

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

bushrat: I recently saw a mount of one that was 'incidental catch' from a trapper from decades ago and it is the coolest stuffed bird I have ever seen. Hence, my new goal. I will just ask Fish and Game before going out, but I dont see why its any different than all the caribou, moose, deer and elk mounts. Animals that are eaten and then stuffed. I spoke to a few taxidermists who all basically said 'dont see why not, but ask Fish and Game first.'

homerdave: Apparently there is a specific exemption in Alaska for the snowy owl. Dont see why it is any different from having those geese or ducks stuffed after you eat them.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...=birds.raptors

Hi there Highest. Please ignore the politically correct folks here. They all wish they could be the F&G commissioner.
    There is a hunting season for Snowly Owl. Any animal legally harvested (there are no hunting seasons for "birds of prey")(Geesh Dave) can be mounted by a taxidermist. You can legally pay the taxi to mount it.
    What you cannot do is sell the bird, either as a skin, or as a mount. A taxidermist cannot sell either.
    Your goal is 100% legal and I support you and wish you success. However, Snowy's live in open country and getting a decent shot at them will be difficult.

You know, Mark, sometimes I think I've seen the limit of your PARENTING attitude and then you break new ground!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Took one 8 miles from the haul road on a bou hunt last fall, tasted no different than other game birds, Make sure if you plan on using a shotgun youre the 5 miles off the haul, there is a no discharge of firearm within 5 miles of the road regulation. Also be aware there are 2 species of owl there, dont bag the wrong one, the size and speed of the other owl should give them away. have fun, there are a bunch of em, see ya on the road!

However, the traditional and continuing subsistence use of snowy owls in Alaska is recognized; federal and state regulations allow these raptors or their eggs to be taken for food or their skins for clothing. There is no closed season and no bag limit on snowy owls, when they are used for food or clothing.

Looks like you are legal to me good luck on your hunt!

You are right, they make a very cool mount and get a lot of attention. If you want to hunt them along the Haul Road, you have to use archery. They seem to be very leary there, and typically won't let you much closer than 100 yards before taking off. Takes a bit of luck, but it can be done.

The mounts look great with a dead ermine skin on the log it is perched on.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    Any animal legally harvested (there are no hunting seasons for "birds of prey")(Geesh Dave) can be mounted by a taxidermist. You can legally pay the taxi to mount it.
    What you cannot do is sell the bird, either as a skin, or as a mount. A taxidermist cannot sell either.
    Your goal is 100% legal and I support you and wish you success. However, Snowy's live in open country and getting a decent shot at them will be difficult.
    Like homerdave said, better do the homework first. Quick google search using "taxidermy" and "snowy owl" turned up plenty of results like these two below.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Bird...2759DFE23.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...38.msg%msg_id%

Official word from Fish and Game is "Go for it".

bushrat: you are so NOT invited for owl stir fry when I get one.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Official word from Fish and Game is "Go for it".

bushrat: you are so NOT invited for owl stir fry when I get one.
    ouch...lol. Although Mark may not give a hoot.

Sorry...lol.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    ouch...lol. Although Mark may not give a hoot.

Sorry...lol.
    Seen that one coming.. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast