Thread: first grouse of the season...for Banks and myself

Default first grouse of the season...for Banks and myself

I was able to load up the dog and hit the woods for a couple hours this evening and it paid off with three grouse to hand. Best part is that I didn't have to retrieve a single bird! He delivered all birds to hand and they were in great shape.
    This was Bank's first real hunt and he was having a blast. After retrieving the first bird he caught the scent and his motor was on high idle for the rest of the day. I actually had to convince him to take a break and drink some water because he was wanting to go go go.

We hunted five different locations and three of them produced birds. South facing slopes with berry patches were producing birds. All in all it was a great evening to spend time in the woods and shooting birds over a young dog is just icing on the cake.

very cool!!! Ive been trying to convince, unsuccessfully, my wife into letting me bring home a new pup for birding purposes. she might be going out of town on a business trip soon...hhhmmmmm hehe

Kodiak, Ak

Great Post,
    Can't imagine how fun that must be to hunt with your dog,

especially the part about how much fun he was having, "being on High Idle" is great writing and brings a guy right alongside, wishing I was there to see that,

have fun, the bird chasin' is just gettin' started, and you two....... well, make sure and drink some water now and then...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. The pieces started to come together for Banks after he retrieved the second bird. He realized that we weren't just out for another walk in the woods. His drive had a lot of purpose as he hit the thickets leaping like a white-tail over and over.

At one point he was sniffing so loud it seemed to get the best of him because he sounded like a pig. He had his nose to the ground and was spinning circles around that one point almost like the game dizzy lizzy. As I'm writing this post he decided it was time to play fetch so he's dropping his bumper down the stairs and retrieving it over and over. Guess it's time to hit the woods again.

Eagle River Alaska, United States,

Good job Richie! That's a nice looking lab. Don't you love it when all the training really starts coming together? Good luck for the rest of the season.