Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Big Boss 6x6. Hopefully Im done at this one

Default New Big Boss 6x6. Hopefully Im done at this one

Hopefully I am satisfied at last with the 6x6. I got the 2010 model. I was debating hard about waiting for the 2011, but those wont be here till november. And after talking with my friend who is a service manager at polaris he assured me the radiator thing was no big deal. You just have to keep them clean. The new one included. The new one will just allow it to take a little longer to stop cooling effectivley.

I just got done putting my winch on. Cant wait for tommorow. Gonna give it the shakedown at jim creek.

I really hope this thing is the answer to my needs. Its my first Brand new machine. Definite ouch factor on the wallet.

Just a head up, I recently purchased one brand new and the first trip out I noticed the front and rear gear boxes were leaking. Overfilled from the factory I think, anyways it's been in the shop for a while so keep an eye on them. On a positive note, the shop told me this was pretty rare and they don't see many problems with these machines. Hopefully thats true for mine here on out!

Thanks for the Heads up. Ill keep an eye on everything. I know people at both Powersports and Eagle river Polaris. People that I know would tell me if these machines were good or not. All 3 said they are very good machines and they dont hear of any problems to speak of.

Default Great machines!

Totally agree, they are great machines. I have ridden Polaris all my life and love them. I was a little disappointed when this happened, but they are still great machines. Good luck with yours!

Post some pics Matt! Congrats on the purchase. I bought the 2010 Ranger 6x6...did some comparisons on the 2011 models, and I dont see any real improvements or design changes. I'm sure you'll be happy with this rig. Congrats again.

6x6back.jpg6x6side.jpg

Im chomping at the bit to go ride! I wont be able to leave today until 3 though. I feel like Im a kid that got a new bike in December

***red with envy***

Sweet rig! What kind of tires are you going to throw on that thing?

You know I almost had them throw some tires on.... But gad this thing was expensive in the first place so I decided against it for now. Im gonna just try the stock ones out . kind of interested in how it performs stock. 6 wheel drive and that long wheel base out to take me lots of places. The places Im going to be riding the rest of the season I think they will be just fine.

I have rode Mudlite XTR's before and like those. Maybe Ill go with them again. But those are the only tires I have ever tried so Im open to suggestions.

I got a gun boot but not sure how to mount it. they dont make a bracket for the big boss

ok Logged 20 miles at jim creek. First Negative. The seat is pretty wide. Next negative, and I knew this going in was the gas consuption. 10 miles to the gallon is what I got. Mostly flat riding and no load. Its not so much the consuption that bothers me (gas is the cheapest part on a wheeler) its that the rig only has a 4 gallon tank.

I didnt really put the machine through the ringer, but It climbed a steep dune with pretty good authority. Better tires on this thing and I bet it would have been effortless. Going down was very slow using the engine braking. Almost ridiculous. I bet its nice if your hauling a load downhill though. The ride on this thing is really good. Ive heard it described as a caddilac, while I wont go that far it was a nice ride. Loaded down might make all the difference in the world though. Manueverability was better than I thought it would be. I went down alot of winding tight trails and that was no problem. Steering gets to be a chore. Power steering would have been a huge plus. Lastly this thing is fast. I almost hit 50 and still had throttle left. And it gets there quick.

Tomorrow Im gonna ride Puritan creek trail. That should be a good test.

I sure wish they would stuff a fuel injected 550 in the new big boss I bet that would be a 50% increase in fuel mileage and for what I want to do would be just fine. I really think the 800 and small tank is because the primary market for the rig is pretty much ranch and farm owners and for the most part they have gas readily available and it is unlikely that they would but that many miles on one doing a days work. A 550 with pwr steering at the same price point of the current 800 would be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I sure wish they would stuff a fuel injected 550 in the new big boss I bet that would be a 50% increase in fuel mileage and for what I want to do would be just fine. I really think the 800 and small tank is because the primary market for the rig is pretty much ranch and farm owners and for the most part they have gas readily available and it is unlikely that they would but that many miles on one doing a days work. A 550 with pwr steering at the same price point of the current 800 would be fine with me.
    Yep. thats exactly what I was thinking.

Oh I have no doubt you rig will have no trouble getting through some of the nastiest terrain.....but I also know how the aftermarket bug ends up biting everyone sooner or later. As good as your rig does now, it can always do better.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the common tires people are buying these days. I know the mudlites are popular, and I hear the 589s are really good as well (although slightly heavier). I went with the Maxxis Zillas and have been very happy with them. I have smaller CC rigs so the weight of the tire was more of a concern for me.

Have fun with the beast.

Take 5 gal of gas with you it really hard on gas in 4 wheel drive.

Sweet ride Matt! I had the financing all lined up and was about to make it happen when I heard about the 2011's and in my case I didnt need it until next year anyway so I decided to wait. I am definitely getting one though! It would be the ticket for hunting and hauling to my cabin! I agree with Lujon though I wish they would put the 550 in one. They do it with the Ranger so I really dont know why they dont with this. I also dont understand why no other mfg makes a 6x yet. They are even catching on in the lower 48 and there has to be a decent market.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Take 5 gal of gas with you it really hard on gas in 4 wheel drive.
    You think its bad in 4 wheel drive, wait till ya put it in 6 wheel drive

Im still GRINNING from Ear to ear. Puritan Trail was a Blast! The Big Boss went wherever it was told to and did not argue. First the Bogs. I just eased into them and kept a slight momentum and it seemed to just float on top and through. Some parts it did sink down but again nice and easy throttling and it plowed through.

Then We climbed and climbed. I went up those less than traveled trails that go up the mountains. Never once did I feel underpowered or unsafe. One hill, coming down, I hit the Decent control button and the hill was so steep and loose dirt that The tires wouldnt grab anything and I skidded down. That was a little hairy.

I did dart it into a ravine and had to get winched out backwards. There was some sticks in the way so I got out trusty SHARP hatchet and began hacking them back some. Then the hatchet bounced off a branch and I sunk the hatchet in about an 1/8th inch or so into the tire. DOH! It didnt go through all the way and I was able to ride the rest of the day, but I will be getting a new tire.

The machine drank the gas today. I bet I used a little over 2 gallons in 17 miles of riding. but again it was pretty tough riding I did.

Riding on the real rocky part of the boulder creek trail was pretty rattling. I couldnt keep up with the grizzly that was with me. Other than that the ride was still real nice.

People that know me will tell ya, I will nitpick things to death, and I cant complain about anything on this machine other than the seat ( I can live with it) and the size of the gas tank (lots of room for extra gas cans in the bed). oh yeah, its a pain to wash! I was hosing it down for I dont know how long.

I even tried a little sport style riding and thought it was pretty good at that too. The thing accelerates good, turns good, soaks the bumps good. its a fun ride I think.

And going through all that muck, none got on the radiator. The little screen that protects it does a good job. Which is good cause that motor fan runs alot and You can really feel the heat that motor puts out.

For me this is an excellent Machine and I couldnt be happier.

Like I mentioned earlier, I had a 09 700 grizzly with me all day. That machine also did real well and went everywhere I went. Im real impressed with that thing as well. it had to be winched out a few times but i think that was driver error.

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

Rimfire,
    With the front being that heavy plastic type material, is there anywhere to attach a tow rope to that beast without using the winch? From the pics of the front end, it looks pretty void of good strong pulling points.

Kodiak

Winter is the time for mods! A rack, gunboot mount, tires, chainsaw bracket, etc...

A pic of mine with some of the mods....(including Texas treestand!)

Here is a variation of the racks that I have built - (the expanded metal step hinges down into the bed)

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

i like that stand, i know a place that would be a moose getter. matt, have you considered tracks on your 6 by? i had them on my 97, they were amazing where they could go. the fields full of big nasty tussocks i would just float on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast