Thread: Valdez area hunt for grouse/ptarmigan

Default Valdez area hunt for grouse/ptarmigan

I just moved to Valdez and am curious where people hunt game birds here?
    Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.

buhorojo,

You should look for ptarmigan up high in the mountains surrounding Valdez, like right up behind downtown, and up Thompson Pass way. I don't recall ever having seen a spruce grouse around Valdez now that I ponder the idea. You won't have any ruffed grouse or sharptails down that way. You'll find plenty of grouse up toward Glenallen.

Ptarmigan are where you find them. They are quite unpredictable. You'll have a lot of birds migrate into your area during the winter months. You need to stop by your local ADF&G office and introduce yourself and ply them for some information. They are, of course, in the information giving business!

Hoping to get down your way myself one of these days with my bird dogs; probably during the spring?

Good hunting.

Jim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

head on up the mineral creek trail... there are a ton of game trails off the road that will take a little work to find at first... but they will take you up above tree line in short order. gold stream trail also has several good access points to head up off as well... you will do a ton of hiking climbing.. and see some great country... come snow time they will head down to town and be all over the pass...

if you head up to the pass now... the pipeline access across from tsania lodge is easy walking along all the ponds back there... take an ultra light rod as well... lots of small trout i there...

good luck lots of country to explore around there.. i spent years trying to see as much as i could... winter and summer..

the teikal ( sp? ) river up around 52 mile will find you some spruce grouse and there are miles of trails that lead to and from the little tonsina up by pump station 12...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

When looking for birds, is there a certain habitat? I hiked up around thompson pass and didn't see anything. I was hiking between Blueberry and Worthington off the pipeline. Tried open, looked around thickets. Nothing. But the woman had fun taking pictures since it was a clear day.

Never easy to find fall birds, especially without a dog or two. Basically you are looking for family broods and they might stick to the inside of thick runs of willows. Come late fall and winter the birds will be moving about and some days you'll find them in large numbers and the next you'll find none. If you don't have a dog you're behind the power curve already. During snow time use a binocular to find the birds, or their three-toed tracks, just like you would a big game animal.

I was afraid I would need a dog to be truly successful.

I hunted without a dog for many years. You don't have to have a dog, but it sure helps. But like I said, during the snow months you can hunt ptarmigan like you would big game. Here's another thing a person should be doing all of the time. Network and develop intelligence. Talk to the folks at ADF&G in your area. Talk to other hunters. Talk to anyone and ask them if they've seen any birds. Make lots of notes. I probably have this bird hunting stuff down as well as anyone, and I have four great Brittany pointing dogs, but I'm always developing more information - always!

Best of luck to you in your hunting. Please let us know when you first stirke gold!

Jim

Haven't found any one who bird hunts. They kill the as a bycatch when hunting big game. But I will keep looking.

Not finding bird hunters is a good thing 'cause they won't care about telling you exactly where they've seen birds! I get some of my best intelligence from those sorts of folks! Good luck.

Jim