Thread: Sandhill Crane

Default Sandhill Crane

I just moved to Valdez. Any thoughts of places to go sandhill crane hunting. Never done it so any advice would be great. Heard they are delicious!

Default Cranes

We go to Delta 200 miles north of you.

Very hit and miss on some days we limit out quickly, other days nothing at all.

Mid September is usually very good.. some days you can watch thousands of them go by but none will land, and their calls sound like they are close when they are very far away.

We have used C & S charters..they set-up the decoys and blinds on the grain fields for you in Delta area..very nice folks $75 dollars person..be let me emphasize again..one day will be great 2 days later nothin..their number is 488-2589.

Cabelas does have a Sand Hill crane call that is effective..tough to get it working smoothly though.

Also be warned if you get a crane down that is wounded they are big and mean, finish it off from a distance and don't send a dog to get it..you also need both fed and state waterfowl stamps to hunt them.

you also need both fed and state waterfowl stamps to hunt them.
    Page #3

State and federal stamps are not required when hunting only snipe and sandhill cranes.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska32 View Post
    Also be warned if you get a crane down that is wounded they are big and mean, finish it off from a distance and don't send a dog to get it..you also need both fed and state waterfowl stamps to hunt them.
    So true....They can draw blood from you or your dog.

Oh Man....They are good eatin'. Ribeyes of the sky.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by alaska32 View Post
    Cabelas does have a Sand Hill crane call that is effective..tough to get it working smoothly though.
    I use my speck call with a rolling-r (tongue flutter) for sandhills.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

alaska32, out of curiousity, I looked through Cabela's waterfowl catalog...I didn't see any Sandhill call's. Who makes it?
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    alaska32, out of curiousity, I looked through Cabela's waterfowl catalog...I didn't see any Sandhill call's. Who makes it?
    You can't find it because it's not in the call section. Try page 34 (decoy section). It's a Haydel call so I'm sure it will work just fine.

I have an older wooden sandhill crane call that works perty good too. I think it was made by "Big Game Calls" but I'll double check. Two things I have learned with cranes is......if ya shoot them over head, get the heck out of the way, cause they hit with authority. The other is, they can take a lot of damage at close range some times, and then fly off or glide for ever.

If ya have kids, the drum sticks are always fun at the table. Lol!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Ok, double checked and its a "Big River Game Calls" sandhill crane.
    I'm Pro-Pike.