Thread: Iditarod Volunteers

Default Iditarod Volunteers

My wife and I just moved to Anchorage and would like to get involved with the great race I grew up following in Washington. After looking through the official website, I had a hard time finding a contact for volunteers. Any recommendations about who/where to go in order to pursue some opportunities? Thanks!

You should be able to find a link on the main website. Possible it's not up yet. Volunteering is great fun for the dog sled racing. We were a check point for the Denali Doubles last year and had so much fun with that! You can always volunteer and stay with us in February if Jeff King puts the race on again this year.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

where are you located, I have been doing some welding for Martin Buser I am sure I could get you a direction to go if you'd like.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I could be wrong, but I wanna say they start recruiting volunteers for the race around October or so. If you sign up on the webpage, they will have you choose which areas you are interested in. I volunteered at the restart in 2009 as a dog handler, and did a shift in the computer room which is a lot of fun. I wasn't able to volunteer this year as I had just had a baby but am planning on it for next year. It's a blast!

There have been problems with the Iditarod website and they haven't started updating it for 2011 yet. You might have noticed that the list of people who've registered isn't up yet. They've become kind of active on Facebook, though. There's a mess of Iditarod pages there but the "official" one is "Iditarod Trail Committee."

Thanks for the great information. We'll definitely watch for the website to update this fall. denalihunter: That race sounds like a lot of fun, let me know if Jeff puts it on again this year! ironartist: My wife and I are in Anchorage and would be open to any suggestions. It would be great to help out and meet some of these great athletes.

I hope all is going well in your search for opportunities to help out in the race. Please keep us all posted on how your search goes so that those in the lower 48 can follow along and learn from your experiences.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I've got to be honest, there are many other sled dog races that you can volunteer for that would be more fun. Sheep Mtn, Copper Basin, Tustumena are the ones that come to mind that are road system accessible, i'm sure there are more.

Iditarod is now bombarded with high fallootin volunteers who look down their nose at you and it is generally a circus in terms of too many chiefs and not enough indians. This was not the case 20 years ago but sure is now. Know several folks who no longer think of helping with the iditacircus but thoroughly enjoy volunteering hundreds of hours for the other dog races. The "underdogs" could definitely use yoursupport and will give you the experience something like what the iditarod used to be.

just saying...you may be more richly rewarded by looking elsewhere.

I do understand there is power in the name Iditarod, but I do not think you will regret helping with the other races, and I think you will have a better time of it.

I appreciate the advice given here. After just having watched the 2010 Iditarod race video on the public channel I was reminded that I need to figure out where we are going to help out! It sounds like volunteering for the 'big race' from Anchorage is basically restricted to the start and re-start. My wife and I would be very interested in helping out with one of the other races. In fact, we think it would be a great experience to spend a weekend volunteering at a checkpoint that also has lodging available (B&B maybe?) which is what denalihunter is referring to I believe. If anyone has any specific information or is interested in extending an invitation feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Thumbs down There should be a special place in cyber-heck....

.... for those that spam..... argh.

Default deserted thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lofonela View Post
    any content coming ?
    Looks like the answer to that is no. This thread is deserted and content free for some time now.

Now that we're getting closer to the racing season, does anyone have more specific recommendations on a quality mushing experience? Once again, we'd like to volunteer for a race some weekend this winter/spring at a checkpoint that we don't have to fly to and possibly has lodging at or nearby to spend an enjoyable weekend in the 'world of mushing'. Any suggestions?

Default ER is the closest

You're probably aware that Eagle River is the closest checkpoint.

As you take the middle ER exit (the one past the Hiland Road exit) from the northbound Glenn, look to your right and you'll see like a 3 story tall "lookout tower". I believe its pretty clearly marked with the "Iditarod" name.

Most of the checkpoints you have to fly to. And don't count on it being any type of relaxing experience. Working at a checkpoint is WORK and most time, not real comforable accomidations. If you work at a check point near the first half of the race, you can expect about 3 days of non stop go go go as the majority of the pack comes through. By the second half of the race, they are more spread out so you will actually be able to get a bit of sleep. Since most of these are so remote, only essential personnel are flown out and that normally means people that have been involved in some aspects before hand. I don't mean to discourage you, only letting you know the realities of having nothing to eat but peanut butter and jelly and no one sent you a loaf of bread!
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

What about other races?