Thread: DF140 owners

Default DF140 owners

What are you getting for top speed and fuel use?
    Also what boat it is on?

Looking for more info to compare mine to.

Thanks.

You didnt say prop or jet?
    19-8 X 60" bottom, almost flat at the transom, kinda heavy w/ tunnel.

With the prop: top speed mid-low 40's (MPH) I was expecting more but plenty fast for me.
    With 4 blade 18 P, at 4000 RPM = 20.5 MPH burning 4.25
    With 4 blade 18 P, at 4500 RPM = 26 MPH burning 5.66

With the Jet: top speed on a 2 way average 35 MPH, relatively light but still 3 men 60+ fuel and refreshmnets.
    With a large load upstream in 4-5 mile an hour current, 5000 RPM = 22.7 MPH at 8.5 GPH
    At max throttle it will burn high 9's almost 10 GPH, 5200 RPM, if sleeve is worn I can see 5400 and close to 10.5 11 GPH.
    I added some pods this winter and found I could stay on step if light right at 4000-4100 RPM, 17-20 MPH burning 5 GPH.

I was using a lowrance fuel guage connected to the ECM, which has now crapped out..........(Lowrance not the ECM)
    I try to be accurate when testing and do keep a log book, but funny thing is..........it often will vary some.........its really hard to create the same conditions repeatively, mostly done on rivers & oceans, no lake in my back yard.
    Over time it all starts to jive and give me some general knowledge of waht to expect when trip planning.

How does this compare to your setup........?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Motor only gets 5800-5900 with the 23.
    Gets to over rev with the 21 pitch.
    Speed is close to 40mph with the 21 and didn't have the gps onboard when the 23 was on.

Burn close to 15gph when running wide open.
    At 4500-4800 burns 6-10gph with both props.
    Have the motor where the prop shaft in the water with the lift and have played with heights.
    Boat is a 22ft pacific skiff.
    Burns way more fuel than any other 140 around here even on heavier boats.

Thanks AkGramps.

This is starting to show me something is still wrong with the motor.

Running a 3x13.75 x19 pitch. This was one of Suzuki's newer props from the last few years. It made a world of difference in performance. Ran with full gear (two big guys), 160 gal fuel, Grumman Sport boat and kicker. This is on a 24' SeaArk with a large aluminum cabin. Haven't calculated precise fuel measurements, but run at 30-32 knots from the Yukon bridge to Galena (about 300 miles) non stop and burn 60 gallons. I didn't think it was possible, but I think that was pretty good. Only running 5200 rpm.
    Bad River Man, I have suggested talking to the guys at Peninsula Powersports in Kenai, at 283-5294. Really nice guys and extremely competant. They are our local Suzuki dealers.

Thanks jtm9 will give them a call.
    Just got it back from the dealer.

i think i got a bum motor from the start.

I'd raise the motor off the transom for starters if you haven't done it yet. You should be able to see the large planing fin at or just under the surface of the water while running level and on plane. I'd imagine speed in the mid to upper 40's with the 23 pitch prop. . . I run a 21M on my Yammi F150 on my Yukon Raider skiff, 22' long and hit 54-5500rpm on average full of fuel and my family and hit 50-52mph.
    Carrying 1600lbs of freight I can still go 48mph(gps/Yammi speedo). I think I can still raise the outboard one hole on the mounting and see better numbers. I might pitch down to 20" and call it good. Fuel consumption is comparable to an F115 that I had before only alot faster and more power to push my growing family.
    Good luck with your outboard
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!