Thread: Buying powder and #209 primers in Anchorage?

Default Buying powder and #209 primers in Anchorage?

Hi, headed up next month for a black bear hunt in Prince William Sound and hoping to try muzzleloader up there. Any suggestions for powder and primers in Anchorage? I will have some time to shop while there. Thanks

It might vary a little from month to month, but there are lots of places that should fill your needs. Sportsman's Warehouse on Diamond is a quick drive from the airport, but there are others. If you're looking for real black powder, I'm only aware of Great Northern Guns as a source in Anchorage. I don't live there, but pass through now and then. Someone local chime in and give him a bigger lists, okay?

BTW-

If you're flying from Anchorage to PWS, the powder is going to be a problem for you. Depending on the town you are flying to, it would be better (and more legal) to locate a source right there. No sense getting a felony bust for sneaking powder into your baggage.

Thanks Brown Bear. Actually driving from Anchorage to Soldotna for a day of fishing before the hunt, then to Whittier where we launch so I'll be OK with powder and primers driving. I've pre-shipped bullets to our transporter and will also carry those with me as well in checked baggage. Just hoping to find some powder and primers close to the load I've worked up, but whatever I can find I can always spend some time shooting since I'll need to check the gun out anyway after traveling. I will have a couple hours in Anchorage before the other guys I'm meeting flights arrive, so I should be able to get around town and check out a few places.

You sound like a savvy traveler! Good arrangements. You might call to confirm availability, either before you travel up here, or at least before you leave the airport.

If you know your way around Anchorage, the quickest route from the airport to the SW on Dimond is to go out Minnesota to Dimond, then out Dimond to SW, which is close to the Seward Highway. It's a relatively quick drive, in city terms anyway. If they happen not to have it, you can go ahead and get onto the Seward Highway and head back toward town to reach GNG.

Have a great hunt!

Wapiti-your handle sounds familiar. I'm not on too many forums, are you ever on GB or MC?

I must not be on those as GB and MC doesn't sound familiar. I'm mostly on this forum and the African Hunting forum. Also been on a motorcycle forum from time to time, but it's been awhile.