Thread: High thrust 50 4-strokes

Default High thrust 50 4-strokes

Hi, looking for opinions on the "high thrust" versions of Yamaha's 50 4 stroke (also if Honda/Suzuki makes something comparable).

Pros/cons of these motors? I'm familiar with the HT 60's as I fish with a buddy who has twins; he says they are geared differently and run a different range of props which helps his heavy 19' glass boat run correctly; he previously had regular twin 50 hondas and it just wasn't doing the job for the boat.

My intended use would be on a 18' Bayrunner/Klamath boat for the Kenai & occasional saltwater adventures; have seen these on the river and they seem to scoot pretty well w/50 hp.

Just wondering which version of the 50 would be best.

Thanks, Jim

Kenai, AK

For that sized boat, I'd say the regular 50 would do you plenty fine. I've got an 2001 F50 on my Willie Predator, running an 11 5/8" x 11" prop and it scoots along pretty well. I don't think Honda or Suzuki makes a high thrust version of their 50's but either of those should move you along just fine. If you were running a heavier boat, like an 18' Searunner, then I'd say go with the T50, but the 18' Bayrunner/Kalamath style boats are quite a bit lighter and have quite a bit less deadrise.

Thanks ak, I checked and you're right about Honda/Suzuki not making a high thrust 50. You're probably right about a F50 being fine on a Bayrunner, just wondering if the HT 50 would yield better fuel numbers, but I did notice that the HT yamaha is 30 lbs. heavier than the F50, which is a drawback.