Thread: "Tanker" Holster

Default "Tanker" Holster

Usually carry my .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk with 5 1/2 barrel in a cross draw holster to keep it out of the way when carrying my rifle. But I'm thinking of going to a shoulder holster like this picture. Just wondering how many folks carry with one of these in the bush and what your thoughts are on em. Pros and cons welcome. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

this is a military shoulder holster that lays flat accross the chest...and to my way of thinking works about right for a hunting pistol. it is protected, out of the way and CHEAP. this model can be purchased "new" for about $35.-$40.
    happy trails.
    jh

this is a chest carry holster by david johnston, of chugiak (907-688-0366), diamond d leather. it is adjustable for comfort and will carry a heavy hunting handgun out of the way, yet accessable. very high quality.
    this is my personal holster with a smith 329pd.
    highly recommended!
    happy trails.
    jh

Around water I carry on my chest and the rest of the time cross draw
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the advice guys!

I made a holster for my Glock 20. I bought the cheery pulled strap system from simplyrugged.com to carry it. Love the setup and it allows you to buy any holster and convert it to chest carry. David Johnston bolsters are also top quality.

I have both the David Johnson, 'Diamond D', holster and one of these http://alaskasportsmanproducts.com/ . I like the Diamond D better, but the nylon isn't bad. Of course I bought them years ago when they were cheaper.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The only place I like shoulder holsters is for field use, but most of the time I too carry a crossdraw belt holster. When I use a shoulder holster, mine is a Safariland Model 101, a model that was meant for LE use and was discontinued in the late 80s-early 90s. Keep an extra 6 rounds on the front strap in a loop carrier that snaps on/off. Also have used & like the Bianchi X-15 which is still around and a design which can fit several makes of gun with silimar barrel lengths.

I'm not a big fan of chest/bandolieer holsters...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    The only place I like shoulder holsters is for field use, but most of the time I too carry a crossdraw belt holster. When I use a shoulder holster, mine is a Safariland Model 101, a model that was meant for LE use and was discontinued in the late 80s-early 90s. Keep an extra 6 rounds on the front strap in a loop carrier that snaps on/off. Also have used & like the Bianchi X-15 which is still around and a design which can fit several makes of gun with silimar barrel lengths.

I'm not a big fan of chest/bandolieer holsters...
    you would be if you had to carry a pack. a standard shoulder holster or worse yet a cross-draw, is impossible to wear comfortably. thats why the chest rig is popular.
    happy trails.
    jh

is that the one from Texas, ordered one for my 329 fit no problem and a heck of a lot cheaper but made excellent,

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    you would be if you had to carry a pack. a standard shoulder holster or worse yet a cross-draw, is impossible to wear comfortably. thats why the chest rig is popular.

Actually, I often carry a pack. When I do and I carry a bellygun hunting, I carry it crossdraw on my belt or use a Gunner's Alley 1.75" belt over the cold weather gear. My chest area is reserved for my binocs...