Thread: Component Availability in Anchorage Area

Default Component Availability in Anchorage Area

Hey guys,

Have not posted here in quite awhile as I have been assigned out of State for 2 years, but getting ready for move back soon. My question is how are component supplies looking up there now, especially powder and primers? The situation has greatly improved here in AZ so I am trying to get a handle on what I need to stock up on before the big move (I have plenty of room in the cargo trailers if I need to stock up here).

Thanks for the info.

Are you able to bring raw powder and primers through Canada?

Components and ammunition seem to be getting much better - every now and then you'll be looking for a particular powder and it is out but supplies seem to be replaced in a timely manner. Of course, the prices here will probably be more than down in AZ but that's the way it goes. If driving through Canada definitely know what you can and can't take. Have a safe trip back.

I was just in Anchorage last week and both Great Northern and SW looked to be well stocked with components. SW didn't seem to be very well stocked with loaded ammo though. At least not with what I was looking for. I also stopped in the Wasilla SW and they were pretty well stocked up too.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Yes, you can legally transport powder, primers, and ammunition through Canada:

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:
    • small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds
    After reviewing this, I am already way over the limit for all areas as I have much more brass, powder, and primers. I guess the brass could be shipped in HHG's, but not the powder, primers, and loaded ammo. I will have 4 included in my family over 18 so will have to check if I could get by with more?? When I moved down 2 years ago, I had much more and just had it packed/buried safely away in the cargo trailer and nothing was asked at the check point. All I did was pay the fee to legally transport a few long guns for personal protection and they never asked about ammo quantity. I really hate the idea of selling off all my components before the move as they are not cheap nor easily found.

Thanks

Default Alaska Ferry

Take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. A little more to the same cost, less driving, more floating, no paper work or fees to Canada' "free" inside passage tour. Take the southern ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan then the gulf route from Ketchikan to Whitter. Road from Whitter to where ever you want to go.
    "From June through September the M/V Kennicott makes bi-monthly trips from Prince Rupert, Ketchikan and Juneau in the southeast to Whittier in southwest, with stops in Yakutat. This route is not only a service link between the Inside Passage in the Southeast and the Southwestern routes, but the trip of a lifetime for those who like comfortable..."
    Take your black or semi-auto guns with no problems from Canada.
    As to the component problem I would use the same methoid used by the Army and the one you used the last time. Don't ask, Don't tell. It is a lot easier to deal with the US laws than the Canadian Penial System. That is my opinion only.