Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope fogged! Anything to do?

Unhappy Scope fogged! Anything to do?

Well my Leupold 4x has fogged after a particularly dismal day getting soaked to the bone for hours on end.

Anything that I can do to get it quasi functional for the upcoming week? Looking for tips and tricks for a band aid.

I realize that putting it in a box and sending it back to Oregon is the long term solution but short of buying another scope or switching rifles is there anything I can do?

Put it in an oven at the lowest setting (200 degrees or so) for an hour or two (don't tell Leupold whent you send it back to them!). Take the scope caps off when you do. Haven't tried it my self, but it might work....

Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what to do about it now, but in the future spend a little extra on glass. Good luck!

Brett

I think I would make a call to Leupold and ask a tech - they are very good about helping...
    800 - 538-7653
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

B.A.R.-
    That is a little elitist. Leupold makes an excellent product for those of us born w/o a silver spoon in our mouths.

Hodgeman-
    Heat a glass cake pan full of plain, uncooked, rice in the oven at about 250 for about 1/2 hour. Bring it out and bury your scope in it. Cover with a towel. Check in the morning. If it worked, spray all possible openings with WD, then send it back to Leupold at the end of the season.

P.S. I'd throw out the rice. :-)

I agree. No harm in calling. I don't know if it happens all the time, but last time I had a Leupold dump (rare), it made the round trip in less than a week. I kid you not! They are the best at old fashioned, honest service.

Thanks everybody for the tips, I wrapped it in a heating pad in paper towels for a couple of hours... not much luck. Guess its on its way back today and I'm using a back up rifle. Not too dissapointed in the scope- its been used hard for several years and taken several inopportune licks in the mountains- I guess one of them finally got it.

Brett- I've gotta say, I've never been called cheap for shooting a Leupold before. That was a new one on me.

I think you made a wise choice as my fear would be getting it cleared up and then going on the hunt only to have it fail and repeat the problem... Good Luck!
    Just goes to show a man can't have too many good guns!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I agree Smokey. Considering the price of a hunt, it's not worth the risk.

Gotta brag a little more on that quick turn around from Leupold. That was a 3x9 that I picked up on a used rifle in 1971. It came with a custom reticle installed by someone other than Leupold (Lee, actually), and it's probably been on a dozen different rifles since then. I just like it, use it a lot, and beat the stuffing our of it. Heck, it's got more scratches in the finish than my 1992 Dodge pickup!

I was right up front with Leupold about its history and told them I was willing to pay for the repair if it was even possible to fix it, since it was so old and I wasn't the original owner.

Like I said, it was back in less than a week with no charges, not even for return shipping.

If that's the sign of a cheap company, I want to find some more cheap companies like Leupold.

Next time spend and extra 20 dollars for those neoprene scope coats!! Water proof and they help quite a bit when getting bumped around. IF you need to take a shot it comes off in a second literally

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...233&hasJS=true

I have a couple different sizes for my different rifle setups and they have been great

A fogged up scope means it is damaged, treat yourself and buy a new one to hunt with and send that one to oregon for repairs. Don't mess around or you'll kick yourself. Trust me been there done that! Watched a 60"+ smile at me and swear he was flipping me off as he strolled back into the alders. Then get yourself some uncle mikes flip up's they are water tight
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    B.A.R.-
    That is a little elitist. Leupold makes an excellent product for those of us born w/o a silver spoon in our mouths.
    This is the USA where anyone can be whatever they want and climb as high as they are willing to work to get. I grew up using a Tasco spotting scope picked up a garage sale and tasco bino's purchased at pay-n-save. Not exactly silver spoon type gear... I now top my rifles w/ zeiss scopes and will probably step up to Swarovski for my next sheep gun. My dad used to dream of owning a pair of Zeiss night owl's, but made do with tasco. He is thrilled that I don't have to. I would save the money and buy Leupy, but I just don't like them for the most part. I have yet to find one where the reticle was even close to as clearly defined as my Zeiss scope. They cost more because they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    . Trust me been there done that! Watched a 60"+ smile at me and swear he was flipping me off as he strolled back into the alders. Then get yourself some uncle mikes flip up's they are water tight
    I was using the flip ups but I noticed several times the objective lens cover popped open by getting snagged on some brush or rubbing on my pack while slung. It was pouring buckets for hours so I could have gotten a lot of water in there in a short time. I likely ruptured the seal last year when I took a nasty fall down a rock face- it just took a heavy rain for it to show up.

Thinking I'll just replace it and sight it in today... I don't have much trigger time on my back up rifle as opposed to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have yet to find one where the reticle was even close to as clearly defined as my Zeiss scope. They cost more because they are worth it.
    I'm very happy with leupolds quality for the buck. If I had more bucks I'd have a zeiss scope, a sled with independant suspension and a gaited horse But since I am a starving artist I use a leupold, a springer sled and a horse that will beat you to death!
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I'm very happy with leupolds quality for the buck. If I had more bucks I'd have a zeiss scope, a sled with independant suspension and a gaited horse But since I am a starving artist I use a leupold, a springer sled and a horse that will beat you to death!
    Ironartist, I have three young, tough, and smooth gaited horses for sale. Now if we can figure out how to ship them from Georgia to Alaska without breaking the bank we are in business.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Now if we can figure out how to ship them from Georgia to Alaska without breaking the bank we are in business.
    And figure out how to feed them!

I got out of the horse business long ago when local prices for Timothy topped $300 a ton. Five horses, no grazing seven months a year.... You do the math!

Gotta love horses a whole lot (or have daughters) if you own them up here.

Aw for now 2's plenty for me, 1 to ride 1 to pack
    Μολών λαβέ

P1000017.jpg

Here are two of the three I have for sale. They are used for field trials here so used to lots of long distance riding plus plenty of shooting.

P1000005.jpg
    NRA Life Member since 1974

OK.. new Leupold 6x36 is mounted on the .300 and ready to sight in after dinner. The 4x is winging its way to Oregon for repairs.

Thinking the 4x is going on the .338WM I just got and have been waiting to scope when it comes back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast