Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score!

Default Score!

I did it! Finally scored on my first Alaskan big game animal and what a way to do it! I spent only 3 days at the cabin and had numerous run in's and close encounters with some incredible bears. At one point I was on the bank of a small salmon stream and had 4 adult bears fighting less than 40 yards away for a spot in the creek and two cubs up a tree. This went on for almost an hour. There were bears roaring just through some willows from me but I couldnt see any of them clearly. Several times they charged straight at me after being ran off by the sow, but I just couldnt get a shot due to the thick willows and brush. It started to get a little intense and I backed out of there finaly to hunt another day. The third day I sat at the mouth of the creek on a rise and after 4 hours I found this guy coming out of the willows and into the Talkeetna river to fish. He caught one before I could get into a good solid position and headed back into the brush and by the time he came out a second time I was able to range him at 40.5 yards and with less than half of his body sticking out of the river. I drilled him right through both lungs. All the practice for my Elmendorf moose tag paid off! He only ran 30 yards into the thick brush, but we went to get him about a half hour later and he was still breathing. When we got there we found a sow and three cubs in there heading our direction. I yelled to try and spook her away but that was the wrong thing to do! She stood up for a split second, pinpointed me and charged to within about 10 yards. I was about to fire a shot into the ground when she turned around and headed off. Then I went back and found my bear again and dispatched him with the .44. He wasnt moving but continued to gasp a little. By far the most intense hunt I have ever done! I think my body is still trying to get the adrenaline levels back in check!

41120_1414064794521_1319587428_31183909_3111042_n.jpg 41120_1414064674518_1319587428_31183907_2478587_n.jpg
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Congrads. Sounds like a huge adrenaline rush!

Awesome!!! I can only imagine what a rush that was. I bet it will still be a day or two before you get your sphincter working properly if you didn't lose control of it creeping into that thicket or facing a charge!!

F'ing AWESOME! First AK Big Game Species and it's a brownie ... SWEET! My adrenaline was pumping just reading the account!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

GREAT CORY!!!! howd that Z do? but uhmmm? whats up with the blazers? where are the FOBS?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The Z7 was SWEET! As for the FOB's, I have been hounding Paul for them for my new FMJ's, but he cant seem to keep them in stock long enough for me to pick up a tube. I have them for my lighter Beemans!

awesome story. Glad you were able to put one down.

Congratulations! Just curious, did you think about a second arrow over the .44? First moose I took with a bow, I found the second arrow was more impressive than my .338 ever could be :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Cool deal. I just got done talking to our local F&W trooper and he said he spent the night up there a couple days ago. He said it was like the McNeal river...bears everywhere
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Cool deal. I just got done talking to our local F&W trooper and he said he spent the night up there a couple days ago. He said it was like the McNeal river...bears everywhere
    maybe next trip down... i will bring my bow and we can have a gathering of sorts
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Stoked for ya, Cory!

Thanks for sharing!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I did it! Finally scored on my first Alaskan big game animal and what a way to do it!
    By far the most intense hunt I have ever done! I think my body is still trying to get the adrenaline levels back in check!

41120_1414064794521_1319587428_31183909_3111042_n.jpg 41120_1414064674518_1319587428_31183907_2478587_n.jpg
    WOW, Mr. Kittle, Sir, That is one heck of a Good Hunt Story, Congrats

Your First Big Game Harvest in AK, and Yeah, I agree, Bear Kill with a Bow...... "What a way to start !"

So,.... how are you gonna improve on that now, for Adrenaline Rush I mean, MuskOx with a Spear?

Thanks for posting, Good One
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Hey Doug, ya it was pretty crazy. A neighbor of mine up there met the trooper camping out and had him over to his cabin for breakfast his last day. I guess a couple bears showed up around 3am and stayed in the creek until a guide boat showed up. There are lots of bears, but the majority of the big ones are very nocturnal. I have hunted there pretty hard for three years now with my bow and finally got one.

Vince, if you end up coming down shoot me a message and I can give you directions to a tree stand I put up in the middle of an incredible spot. Might even be able to come up there and hunt with you. I can still take a couple of blackies out of there, but they are much less prevelent there the past few years!

Kodiak, I am just going to have to kill a kodiak bear with my bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Congratulations! Just curious, did you think about a second arrow over the .44? First moose I took with a bow, I found the second arrow was more impressive than my .338 ever could be :-)
    The reason I ask this question is not to be judgemental, rather when I took my moose a hunting partner shot it in the nose with a rifle (long story) after I had my first arrow in... and before I could put a second arrow in. I was not able to officially score this as an arrow kill, even though the bullet had nothing to do with the kill (Muzzy, Bad to the Bone!). Frustrating, but the meat still was great!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks guys!

Hey Doug, ya it was pretty crazy. A neighbor of mine up there met the trooper camping out and had him over to his cabin for breakfast his last day. I guess a couple bears showed up around 3am and stayed in the creek until a guide boat showed up. There are lots of bears, but the majority of the big ones are very nocturnal. I have hunted there pretty hard for three years now with my bow and finally got one.

Vince, if you end up coming down shoot me a message and I can give you directions to a tree stand I put up in the middle of an incredible spot. Might even be able to come up there and hunt with you. I can still take a couple of blackies out of there, but they are much less prevelent there the past few years!

Kodiak, I am just going to have to kill a kodiak bear with my bow!
    LOL Cory at this point of the season... i would be DEAD MEAT. if i showed up with ANOTHER bear...

still have one to pick up,,, and another in the process from this spring...

meet on face book here

Hey Roger, to be totally honest, I could care less about the book and I was really hoping that the pistol shot would kill two birds with one stone. First being to dispatch the bear. He was not going anywhere so the arrow did its job, but I hate to see them gasping like that. And second to get that sow and three cubs to get out of there. I dont get nervouse really easily, but the way she was acting and charging when I yelled at her, I was a little happier after the shot!

On a side not, I just got done fleshing the hide and turning the paws, lips, eyelids and ears. I have a newfound respect for the $200 that the taxidermists charge for doing this.... Wow that is a tedious process. I am going to have a pedastal head mount done of him and I just put the skull in with my dermistid beetles to make a mount out of that along with my sons black bear this year.

Wow Cory that is a great hunt report and I am happy all that time you have spent up there finally paid off!!! Sounds like you had an intersting weekend with all that bear activity must have been something else to see the sow going at it with those boars not to mention being charged and getting your first grizz!

Great story and Congrats to you!

Hey Roger, to be totally honest, I could care less about the book and I was really hoping that the pistol shot would kill two birds with one stone. First being to dispatch the bear. He was not going anywhere so the arrow did its job, but I hate to see them gasping like that. And second to get that sow and three cubs to get out of there. I dont get nervouse really easily, but the way she was acting and charging when I yelled at her, I was a little happier after the shot!

On a side not, I just got done fleshing the hide and turning the paws, lips, eyelids and ears. I have a newfound respect for the $200 that the taxidermists charge for doing this.... Wow that is a tedious process. I am going to have a pedastal head mount done of him and I just put the skull in with my dermistid beetles to make a mount out of that along with my sons black bear this year.
    Hey cory you seen that mount paul has at archers den? man i love it like that...

meet on face book here

Yes I did. I like it except for that flap of skin hanging down in the back. I am thinking of something more like this one. Except with a closed mouth and a little more natural looking. Also likely going to have a rock and maybe a caribou antler or part of one underneath him instead of the birch. What do you think?
    Bearpedestal.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast