Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 8wt. in the $300 or less range...

Default Best 8wt. in the $300 or less range...

I "need" a new rod this year, but can't afford the top end. Your suggestions on the best 8wt for the money? Also, a length preference? Needs to be a 4 piece or similar, 'cause I am always on the road. Primarily throwing ESL's, buggers, dolly llamas, etc. Beads with split shot.
    Also, what reel and line? I usually go with a WF floating line, weight the fly or use split shot to get it down.

Thanks everyone!!

Go to Mossy's and pick up a 4 pc 8wt Echo for $189. They are awesome and great looking rods. I was set up with a lamson konic reel but I know there are many other options.

Quite a few favorable posts for the Echo rods.
    Several local fly shops carry them.

Anything at Mossy's, Worldwide or 3 Rivers will be worthwhile.

I know that 1 or 2 members have posted about problems with other TFO models, but the majority of posts about TFO have been positive - most suggesting TFOs were a good value. I had good luck with my Temple Fork Outfitters TiCrX in 8 wt and in that price range, I'd buy one all over again. The reel I bought, Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, was a fine value and still works well, but if I replace it, it will be with a top shelf lifetime reel. A lot of small details about those reels that make them very satisfying to use. In fact, one convenient thing about shopping at local fly shops is they carry great gear, rods, reels, whatever. You won't go wrong.

Dennis McAfee (McAfee's Fly Shop, now Mossy's), the guys at Worldwide and 3 Rivers have always given me solid advice.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

I'll second the TiCrX from TFO. It's got a great warranty and fishes pretty nice.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You looking to spend $300 on the rod or the whole outfit?

If just the rod, my suggestion is the Scott A3. Amazing rod. I have two and got the wife two last month. Awesome rod with a lifetime warranty and great action for many applications. Very versatile rod and a big value in the Scott line up.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You looking to spend $300 on the rod or the whole outfit?

If just the rod, my suggestion is the Scott A3. Amazing rod. I have two and got the wife two last month. Awesome rod with a lifetime warranty and great action for many applications. Very versatile rod and a big value in the Scott line up.
    $300 for the rod--then I need a reel and line.

Also, thanks everyone for the local suggestions. I really like three rivers, since I live in Knik, but would not mind if I have to go into "big town" anchorage.

I have read a lot about the Echo rods, and have a low end St. Croix 5 wt I like. i have heard good things about the TFO, as well. Keep suggestions coming, I appreciate them!!!

Ill second or third or 4th going to Mossy's and talking to Mike. Go see him and see what he will do!
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I will second the echo and TFO rods. Great rods for the price. Both fish good and are good bang for your buck. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    $300 for the rod-

Scott A3 or St Croix Legend Ultra
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Can't say I would 2nd the TFO's. I'm sure they're great rods but the TFO TiCrX 8wt I bought left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The thing has broke on me twice. Sure they have a great warranty but now I've spent $90 getting rods replaced. Heck I'm halfway to a new Echo. I've used my Echo way more than my TFO, caught bigger and more fish on it, and it has held up where the TFO failed. Sorry, I won't buy another one.

Bad news on your experiences Mossyhorn. I haven't tried Echo yet, but plan to do so someday. Right now I'm in the third year and a whole lot of fish on an 8wt TiCRX without a hitch. I'm a very aggressive caster and like the TiCRX series for that. How does the Echo 8wt compare for "feel?"

TFO is not worth it. Echo rods have worked wonders. I am more of a sage user but echo is my second choid
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

As far as feel goes? It feels like I'm gonna break it if I catch a fish on it! LOL! They don't feel like the same rod, the TFO 8wt feels like a lighter weight rod. But the reds, silvers, and chums I've got on my Echo have been every bit of a fight as the TFO, great fights on some of those fish. There's a definitely a lot of feel in the Echo rod and I really like it. I just have more confidence in that rod and it feels stronger in my hand. It feels like it's up to any task whereas the TFO not so much.

Beulah's Guide Series is also another great option. I havent cast the 8wt, but if it's anything like the 7, it's a great casting rod. Plus it comes with an extra tip, so if you slam it in a truck door you already have the extra piece.
    As for a reel, Lamson's Konic or Guru would work fine.

300$ will buy a lot of rod.

TFO Clouser
    TFO Axiom
    Scott A3
    TFO TiCrX

In that order would be my choice.

Length is your preference. I like shorter. But I fish a lot of tight areas, and not so much wide open rivers and such.

Go into a shop and cast a bunch of rods.

Depends on your total Budget. If you have to; right now I'd skimp on the rod and get as much reel as you can afford. Something solid. Machined. Ross CLA, Ross Evo, Lamson Guru, Lamson Konic. Some decent WF line.

A generous forum member recently sent me an Echo Ion. I tried the 8 wt. out on the Kenai tonight. It felt great, loved the motion of it, etc...

However, I've only used 2 other fly rods prior to this and I have little knowledge about them...but I could definitely tell that the Echo was a lot better than the ones I've used previously...
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Default Excellent suggestion, Dan

...my suggestion is the Scott A3. Amazing rod. I have two and got the wife two last month. Awesome rod with a lifetime warranty and great action for many applications. Very versatile rod and a big value in the Scott line up.
    Dan,
    Great suggestion. I've wanted to try Scott rods out - my Jedi Rainbow flyfisher friends say they're fine gear -
    This winter, off-season and all, maybe you could mail up the ole Scott A3 so's a few of us can try that thang out - maybe?
    'Course no sense in delay neither - I think the month of September would give several of us enough time to let you know what we think.
    And Toby too, naturally.

Scott A3 or St Croix Legend Ultra
    ...AND the Legend Ultra.

I like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Dan,
    Great suggestion. I've wanted to try Scott rods out - my Jedi Rainbow flyfisher friends say they're fine gear

You must follow the ways of the force

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have spent the last several years upgrading all my rods with Scotts. They are amazing rods for sure. Got a few Sage Xi2 and XP's and R.L. Winston BL5's that I am fond of, but my Scotts are the bee's knees.

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/a3

-Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast