Thread: insurance for a 27' boat to be used in the Gulf of AK

Default insurance for a 27' boat to be used in the Gulf of AK

I have had my boat insured with my auto insurance company for a couple of years. I just found out that I have not been covered outside of PWS. Any suggestions. I am having a hard time finding someone to offer me coverage to go to Nuka Bay.

I forgot who does my insurance and my papers are at my office, but I'll pm you with the info in the am. My coverages goes from Yakutat to Gore Point and I think I pay $2,000 a year ( I didn't ask for that range, but it didn't coast hardly anymore). I can also add extra months and range if need be for a very small fee. The guy I go through is out of Seattle and I was recommended to him from a charter buddy of mine in seward. He's very knowledgeable of our waters and what kind of coverage you need up here. He also gave me a large discount for having a master license ( the other company we had before didn't).
    Boatless

I deal with a guy in Anchorage, company called anchor marine. they are based out of seattle, so it might be the same guy that fishface is talking about. really knowledgeable guy named greg. he has been a guide in AK for a lot of years and is really familiar with the state. good guy, great company - saved me quite a bit of money and had the same coverages as fishface. glad to have found someone local for once and be able to talk face to face if needed. don't have the number on me, but his office is right next to west marine, although I ran into him on the docks in Seward. good luck.

I have my boat insured through State Farm. This is the first I've heard about insurance companies insuring you only if you are within a certain area. If that's the case with my insurance, I'm totally in the dark about it. Is this common?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I have my boat insured through State Farm. This is the first I've heard about insurance companies insuring you only if you are within a certain area. If that's the case with my insurance, I'm totally in the dark about it. Is this common?
    When I went shopping for boat insurance a number of years ago, that was exactly the case. I could find folks wanting to insure for PWS or Cook Inlet, but when asked about the North Gulf, the answer was no. Strangely, or not so strangely I guess, Progressive didn't really care where the heck I went.

I'd be curious about this question as well. I'm insured with State Farm and they didn't mention a thing. I don't want to go asking them and open the door. As they say its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. If anyone knows for sure let us know.

I don't think that you have to call your agent to find out your area of operation. You can just look at your policy and it should clearly state what your boundary lines are. I would definitely check! It would be a bummer to find out that your policy does not cover you if you hit a big log just outside the sound or Resurrection bay.

I have two boats (22' ocean and 24' river) insured on my home owners policy with Country Companies (Country Financial). Both have full coverage and the same liability as my home. I have the saltwater and Great Lakes add ons. I looked through my policy and could not find what defined "saltwater" so I called my agent and was told "anywhere in the salt, with no limits on distance". I pay a total of $1900 per year.

We have Progressive Insurance (USAA doesn't cover boats & they direct you to Progressive with "special" rates for their members). It was mentioned regarding area of boating & it wasn't a problem with them. Full coverage with Full Replacement cost (for 5 yrs; then it depreciates the cost after 5 yrs) for $1200 per year; will go down after 5 yrs.....

I strongly suggest you read your individual policies with regards to the area you can operate your boat and any "Lay Up" dates. I contacted 4 or 5 insurance companies before I could get one that would cover me when operating very far out of Seward. Most will not cover you "South of Montague Island" or outside of Blything Sound (ever tried to find a definition of that?).

I finally got my insurance from Mike Miller, Northern Marine Insurance, Lynnwood WA. 1-800-553-3624 Ex 126. Now before you get concerned about going out of state, Mike lived in Juneau for about 25 years and over 75% of his business is insuring Alaskan Boats. He knows Alaska, alaskan boats, has been in the marine insurance business a long time and is very good to work with. He represents several insurance companies so he can match the insurancepolicy to your needs. My annual premium is less than with some of the other companies I contacted.

Patrick "As they say its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. If anyone knows for sure let us know" I don't think that will work with an insurance company - better confirm what your coverage is.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    We have Progressive Insurance (USAA doesn't cover boats & they direct you to Progressive with "special" rates for their members). It was mentioned regarding area of boating & it wasn't a problem with them. Full coverage with Full Replacement cost (for 5 yrs; then it depreciates the cost after 5 yrs) for $1200 per year; will go down after 5 yrs.....
    I've got the same coverage through the same people via USAA, my policy states I can't go past 75 miles from shore. I'm cool with that :-)
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I'd read my policy REALLY well if were any of you guys. The policy i have on my bowpicker has paragraphs on the dates i'm covered while fishing, the area i'm covered for, layup periods, being a commercial boat it also spells out when and if i can use the boat for pleasure purposes, harbor coverage and here's a big one coverage in case of a oil or fuel spill. One thing i'm not covered for is outdrive damage and i'd bet if you guys looked into your policies your drives and maybe even the lower units of your outboards may not be covered. My insurer is Griffin MacLean in Bellevue, Wa. and the guy who takes care of me is John Long.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I use Anchor Marine. They are on Dimond next to West Marine. phone # 250-5554. the guy has been a charter captain/guide for twenty years. He also teaches maritime safety courses, which I found also gives me a better rate on my insurance. I was referred by a charter outfit out of whittier. I think that I got a pretty good deal for the area that I operate. I shopped around and they gave me the best quote. If I ever decide to get my captains license and take people fishing, they do guide services also.

It's probably about the same as sharkbait referred to, they have quite a few different underwriters that they work with and just set you up with the best quote. Definitely read your policy. with my auto insurance company, I learned that I had been outside the boundary line and even if I had an accident in the sound where I was covered, the policy was null and void the second I went outside that boundary line. Scary!

Don't use the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" It seems like now a days, everyone is looking for any little excuse in the world not to have pay on a claim. Also, keep meticulous maintenance records, I have learned that if you have an problem and you have done everything in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, there is a good chance that the problem will be covered by insurance.

Don't use the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission"
    Amen!! All your insurance info is spelled out in the policy. If you violate it you can ask for foregiveness until the cows come home...and you won't get it from an insurance company.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That was mostly a tongue and cheek comment about begging for forgiveness but I get your point. My original comment was about whether to raise the question to the insurer if they haven't brought up any restrictions about where I can use my boat. I'll look more thoroughly through my policy when I get home but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there about resticting my location. I just hate to raise an issue and open a can of worms if they haven't mentioned anything about it.

My insurance is through Allstate here in Anchorage, so I went ahead and asked the question, and here is the response I got:

Hi Jim,
    I am reading from a boatowner's policy I have in my desk and this is what is says. Coverage applies while the watercraft is within the United States of America or Canada or within 100 nautical miles of either. I am having a duplicate policy jacket sent to you so you can read the definition for your exact policy. I feel quite confidant the verbage will be the same for your policy as well.
    Jeff
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I just hate to raise an issue and open a can of worms if they haven't mentioned anything about it.
    Better to find out you have a can of worms before an accident than after. That way you can go find proper coverage for what you do. Otherwise, you might as well burn all the money you pay in premiums because they won't pay a dime if you were doing something that isn't covered when you have a loss.