Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best silver fishing

Default best silver fishing

of all the places to fish silvers, whether salt or not, which would you rate the best for size and numbers of fish? road access or fly in. statewide.

My vote would be Valdez in the salt but there are so many good places it may depend on how far you want to travel.

+1 Valdez is the best. I have caught more fish (limit consistently), bigger fish (14 pounds plus common) and they are spread out over a wider range (by that I mean I don't have people trolling over me when I have fish hooked up).

+2 to Valdez.

Not sure what stock they use, but they come back hogs. Out of 24 kept last year I think maybe 2 or 3 were under 10lbs, with several pushing 15+. Just gorgeous, fat fish.

My favorite is Seward and especially at the outer limits of Res Bay like Pony/Aialik area and also Cape Resurrection, and when they come iin closer Fox, Callisto and the rocky point off the south corner of Bulldog. You can get 6 fish in the bay and on a good day you'll get your 6 and also catch and release another dozen or so. And 14 lb. or bigger are totally within the realm of possibility.

Homer can be great too, but for some reason this year (so far) has been VERY spotty.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    My favorite is Seward and especially at the outer limits of Res Bay like Pony/Aialik area and also Cape Resurrection, and when they come iin closer Fox, Callisto and the rocky point off the south corner of Bulldog. You can get 6 fish in the bay and on a good day you'll get your 6 and also catch and release another dozen or so. And 14 lb. or bigger are totally within the realm of possibility.

Homer can be great too, but for some reason this year (so far) has been VERY spotty.
    Hopefully not when TSS and I are on board with you...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Hopefully not when TSS and I are on board with you...

Fish On!
    I've got my fingers crossed! There are nice numbers going into the Anchor right now. I was up there this afternoon with Cliffhanger for a couple of hours (until it got ridiculous with "shoulder to shoulder" people) and he caught a really nice male he released and I caught a nice hen that I kept. And just as we were starting to get crowded out of our spots people around us started hooking up on the high tide surge of fish that seemed to be entering the river. That would indicate to me that there should be some decent fish starting to show out in the salt. And it should only get better from here on out.

Fish on for sure!!!

Of all the places I've fished, I've yet to find a spot better than Danger Point, right outside of Angoon on lower Admiratly Island. Used to go down there every year for a management retreat when I lived in Juneau. When the fish are in, its virtually impossible to keep more than one rod in the water. We ran out of herring one year and were catching them on bare hooks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Anywhere? Icy Bay Lodge. They will take you to multiple rivers in the area and will likely be able to steer you into enough fish to wear you out by noon daily.

I think there was a write-up in the latest edition of Fish Alaska Magazine.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I'll take the rivers that bisect the road system in Kodiak, any day. The silvers pound those rivers during the rise of the tides on the fall rains. The rivers are relatively short. The silvers pod up in the many pools. Water is relatively clear. For my money, and this is easily one of the state's bargains, this fishery can rank top shelf...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Hi,
    Alaska didn’t even want to fish in the Women’s Silver Salmon Derby and was sleeping when the winning 18.84 pound silver hit her line. “My husband hollered Betty get up so I got up and started reeling in the fish”, Valdes said. After being crowned Queen of the Silver Salmon Sisterhood Saturday night, Valdes told the crowd of close to 600 people the secret to catching the largest fish in the derby.

Online pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    I'll take the rivers that bisect the road system in Kodiak, any day. The silvers pound those rivers during the rise of the tides on the fall rains. The rivers are relatively short. The silvers pod up in the many pools. Water is relatively clear. For my money, and this is easily one of the state's bargains, this fishery can rank top shelf...

Rosenberg/Florida

Nope, nothing to see here. Move along. I don't know what he's talking about.....
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

...and don't even ask about the one I caught 13 months ago while on assignment at Larsen Bay on Kodiak Island; I was so busy in behalf of others that I told the skipper to just throw it in the hold and that I'd have it for supper; big mistake, no pictures/no nothing--22 lbs.worth of memory...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

If I were to pay money to visit a place to fish silvers, I would save up alittle extra and get off the "road system" to fish away from the crowds. I find it amazing how many people recommend paying to come to Kodiak to fish the Buskin or Pasagshak. Every year I make the mistake of wasting .3 gallons of gas driving to these rivers only to find some of the most ignorant, obnoxious people stacked up in every hole combat fishing. I park at the road watching people arguing, crossing lines, pushing people out of holes etc. etc. etc. It is one of the most painful, unenjoyable experiences I have had in Alaska and I live in Kodiak. I am fortunate to deploy to places in Alaska where the rivers are not crowded and the fishing is enjoyable, and my suggestion for those coming from out of state is to save alittle longer and pay to access those places.

I do not live in Kodiak, yet I have fished it as a commuter angler since 2002. I do fish the road system, yet I do not fish the Pasagshak or the Buskin. Instead, I nose around and find spots that the roadways deliver me to that contain opportunities without the pressures previously mentioned. I also fish at first light, thus avoiding many of the casual opportunists.

I responded to the thread via the first portion of the inquiry-road system. I did not chose the later-fly in, due to increased cost. Yet if you want it, I have it and that data is forthcoming as soon as my collations and articles are finished from my assignments covering the silver salmon fishery in Bristol Bay.

Rosenberg/Florida

Kodiak is the place.

Personally I don't care about "freshwater fishing" talk on the "saltwater" column. I'm one of those people that think they shouldn't be separated out, but I think you really have to qualify all of this. Kodiak might be the best place for "road accessible" silver fishing, but I'd have to go with "fly out" fishing to many, many different spots for the best freshwater fishing. And the Kenai peninsula has some incredible road accessible fishing, too. I'm heading for the Anchor myself, today. And I'll still stick with Seward for catching them in the salt. I sure wouldn't bother with Homer this year if silvers are all you're interested in.

kodak sucks go to valdez

Don't get me wrong prior to this weekend I would have voted Valdez without a doubt. I spent friday and saturday fishing Larson bay on Kodiak Island with Kodiak Island resort and had Hog limits two days in a row in less than 3 hours a day. then we caught daily limits of Halibut throw in a Jack King a couple yellow eye one being a monster and a couple 50 plus ling cod. I did catch a 40lb halibut jigging for silvers 30 feet deep in 200 water. So on a budget 12-14 lb silvers in Valdez is great, but thats not what you asked. I personally caught 4 fish that would have been on the top 50 leaderboard in valdez at 16 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4dinner View Post
    kodak sucks go to valdez
    Why? Please back up your assertion. People want to know WHY you think that way, and not just a blanket statement. Kodiak has some incredible road accessible fishing. I know for a fact Valdez doesn't, other than shore fishing. The Pasagshak and Buskin are world class fishing opportunities if you hit them right. Valdez has some great skiing on the road system, but this if a saltwater fishing forum, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast