Thread: Floating Skilak to Bing's

Default Floating Skilak to Bing's

I am planning on floating Skilak Lake to Bing's on Sunday for the first time. Does anyone have any advise or tips. How fast is the water? I am guessing that it is about a mile row from the boat launch to the mouth of the river and about a 10 miles to float.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I am planning on floating Skilak Lake to Bing's on Sunday for the first time. Does anyone have any advise or tips. How fast is the water? I am guessing that it is about a mile row from the boat launch to the mouth of the river and about a 10 miles to float.

It's a mile and a half row I believe, and the drift is fairly slow.
    It will take the better part of the day to float it.
    The one time I floated the whole stretch it was dark by the time we got to Bings and we ran the last few miles on the 9.9.
    We did stop at a few spots to fish along the way though.

I have done it a good amount of times before I got my powerboat. The row across the lake is real easy. Just pay attention to the weather. If it's windy skilak lake can be wicked. The drift is an all day event when you are fishing too. Not a whole lot to worry about as far as the water goes. Good luck.
    Matt

Never put in at the lake I have always went from Bings up, if you are drifting you have no worries going down, nothing in the water to worry about.

As for fishing you need........I'll say it again you NEED to hit every inside corner with gravel in it. And hang out just above the upper Kielly.

Why do you recommend not putting in at Skilak? I don't have a motor on my drift boat.

Why do you recommend not putting in at Skilak? I don't have a motor on my drift boat.
    Sorry poor grammer, I didn't mean never as in don't do it, I meant never as in I never have put in there, I go up stream, so for you not having a motor you would have to put in there and float down. And remember hit the inside turns that have gravel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Sorry poor grammer, I didn't mean never as in don't do it, I meant never as in I never have put in there, I go up stream, so for you not having a motor you would have to put in there and float down. And remember hit the inside turns that have gravel bars.
    Consider it done. Hopefully I will have some picts to post Sunday.

how did the trip go?

Sorry I didn't post sooner. Skilak was blown out. I talked to a guy at Alaska Canoe and campground and he said there were 3 footers on the lake and no one was going across. We decided to put in at Dot's and float down to bings. Just to get a feel for that part of the river. There were a few boats out but we were the only ones drifting. We are going to take another crack at it this weekend. So hopefully I will be able to post some pictures.

So I am finally getting out to fish Skilak to Bings on Wednesday and Thursday. Does anyone have any advise for flies to use. I was thinking Leech, sculpin, beads and flesh.

Thats sounds good. Add a lil common sence and the trip will be great
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

So I am finally getting out to fish Skilak to Bings on Wednesday and Thursday. Does anyone have any advise for flies to use. I was thinking Leech, sculpin, beads and flesh.
    use 8mm beads, they are working pretty good, you might get a few on flesh but I think it is a little early yet???????

Finally floated Skilak to Bing's yesterday. I absolutely loved that section of the river. We did ok fishing. One red actually bit a sculpin pattern which I had never seen and I hooked into 3 smaller Bows on 8mm beads (thanks Kenaibow Fan). The people we talked to were not catching many silvers but hopefully they are still on there way up river. The weather was unbelievable also. I even got a little sun burnt. I will definitely be floating that section of the river again soon.

Finally floated Skilak to Bing's yesterday. I absolutely loved that section of the river. We did ok fishing. One red actually bit a sculpin pattern which I had never seen and I hooked into 3 smaller Bows on 8mm beads (thanks Kenaibow Fan). The people we talked to were not catching many silvers but hopefully they are still on there way up river. The weather was unbelievable also. I even got a little sun burnt. I will definitely be floating that section of the river again soon.
    You should fish it every weekend from now till the first of nov or even later if you can handle the weather, that is the best part of the river to fish IMO. Glad I could help and better yet glad you have a good time and got into a few fishes! NOW GET OUTTA MY HOLE!!!!!! LOL

Next time don't forget to try your bigger beads. The deepest of holes are producing big fish

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    Next time don't forget to try your bigger beads. The deepest of holes are producing big fish
    Do you use 10mm beads there? I have never used any thing bigger then 8's.