Thread: Clams are small this year

Default Clams are small this year

Just got back from clamming and I can say they are running small. We did our best going for shows bigger than others to no avail, many of the large shows we dug were two or three small clams together. about 5% of what we dug were typical 7-8" clams. I've seen many comments on closing the activity for a period of time but I was wondering why not just limit it to Alaskan residents, most of those I encountered on the beach were tourists and the few stories of gross neglect I've heard were committed by out of state/country visitors. My vote goes to make clamming like shrimping, state residents only.

Quote Originally Posted by madman1045 View Post
    Just got back from clamming and I can say they are running small. We did our best going for shows bigger than others to no avail, many of the large shows we dug were two or three small clams together. about 5% of what we dug were typical 7-8" clams. I've seen many comments on closing the activity for a period of time but I was wondering why not just limit it to Alaskan residents, most of those I encountered on the beach were tourists and the few stories of gross neglect I've heard were committed by out of state/country visitors. My vote goes to make clamming like shrimping, state residents only.

at clam gulch the majority of what we caught were in the 5-6 inch range, i have only gone once but i didnt think that was small we did catch a few tiny ones that were only 2 inches or so, but we were only a few short our 4 person limit and that is only because we figured we had enough and called it good so we could get cleaning

I've heard that this has to do directly with the clam "cycle"; similar to rabbitts and so forth. Hit the beaches farther south for larger clams; the cycle if different in varying areas apparently (have seen pictures to prove it).
    Jim

I've heard that this has to do directly with the clam "cycle"; similar to rabbits and so forth. Hit the beaches farther south for larger clams; the cycle if different in varying areas apparently (have seen pictures to prove it).
    Jim

I went clamming in Ninilchik in April and noticed the small clams this year. Some poking around the ADF&G website revealed in the 'fishing reports' section that a large spawning event had occurred in that area bringing the number of small clams up considerably. The report advised of better clamming around whiskey gulch. I gave up clamming after 20 minutes of digging up little ones and noticing all my neighbors with the same results. I ended up walking around talking to people to see if there were any big clams at all. There were very few in the 5-8" range.

So if ADF&G knows about it, why dont they close off sections of the beach until they get larger? They grow pretty fast and I'm sure none of us would mind waiting a bit for bigger clams. Cleaning the little clams sucks so bad anyhow. My 2 cents anyway. And closing it to non-residents is not such a bad idea too.
    Last edited by bigfish6025; 08-15-2010 at 01:31. Reason: see above....

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    And closing it to residents is not such a bad idea too.
    Did you mean "non-residents" ???

you might should read up on the regulations a little bit - non-residents CAN shrimp - even if the idiots at sportsmen's warehouse don't think so.....(not referencing you - but rather the people at sporties issuing licenses that do NOT know the regulations for squat)

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Page 63 of the regs states :

North Gulf Coast Personal Use Shrimp—Alaska residents only
    North Gulf Coast waters from Aialik Cape west to Gore Point (see map on page 56) •
    Shrimp may only be taken with pots and ring nets•
    5 pots per person, maximum of 5 pots per vessel•
    There are no bag, possession or size limits for shrimp •
    A permit is requiredand is available at Anchorage and Homer ADF&G offices

That being said, perhaps there are other areas of the state where a non-resident can legally shrimp, either way, the responsibility to fish legally lies with the individual, not the person who sold the license.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you might should read up on the regulations a little bit - non-residents CAN shrimp - even if the idiots at sportsmen's warehouse don't think so.....(not referencing you - but rather the people at sporties issuing licenses that do NOT know the regulations for squat)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Page 63 of the regs states :

North Gulf Coast Personal Use Shrimp—Alaska residents only
    North Gulf Coast waters from Aialik Cape west to Gore Point (see map on page 56) •
    Shrimp may only be taken with pots and ring nets•
    5 pots per person, maximum of 5 pots per vessel•
    There are no bag, possession or size limits for shrimp •
    A permit is requiredand is available at Anchorage and Homer ADF&G offices

That being said, perhaps there are other areas of the state where a non-resident can legally shrimp, either way, the responsibility to fish legally lies with the individual, not the person who sold the license.
    not sure where shrimping regs have anyting to do with digging baby clams????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Restricting clamming to native Alaskans would be a better solution to the resident-non-resident question. The best clammer I've met is a native. Worse diggers are armed with suction guns. They crush shells, leave immature by-catch, and don't cover their holes.

Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfishing View Post
    Restricting clamming to native Alaskans would be a better solution to the resident-non-resident question. The best clammer I've met is a native. Worse diggers are armed with suction guns. They crush shells, leave immature by-catch, and don't cover their holes.

i am not native but i use a clam gun and didnt break many but kept the ones i broke and kept the little ones i caught as well, the gun is easier for a new to clamming person my friend who used a shovel broke way more, i think your post is borderline rascist

Easier to start a thread and a debate than look up facts these days. There has been PLENTY of articles in ADN about why the clams are small this year and where to go and look for bigger ones.

Plenty of people are happy with the smaller ones and treat them right. Break them or not as long as you follow the regulations and take them what is the issue? We broke a few (as few as we could), cleaned them (way more work as you know) and ate them. How did that hurt anybody?