Thread: Crow Creek Pass

Default Crow Creek Pass

Looking to hike Crow Creek pass from the Girdwood side over. Has anyone done it this year, with all the rain I am wondering if the river is too high to even challenge. Any input would be great. Looks like the last weekend in August is when we will be going. Thanks.

I am planning to try it Aug 29th when my brother flies up from the states. Would love any information I can get before then on the condition on the trail / river.

Hiked it the weekend of the 7th. We crossed the river at about noon and it was fine, not too high at all. If this rain keeps up the trail's going to be muddy (was for us) which made the tall grass/brush part between Raven Gorge & the river a little bit of a pain the in butt. Should be fine though.

It's "Crow Pass" NOT Crow Creek Pass. This may help in finding information/conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    It's "Crow Pass" NOT Crow Creek Pass.
    It is frequently referred to as Crow Creek Pass in guide books, State Park literature, and casual conversation. I also refer to it simply as Crow Pass, but you are incorrect that Crow Creek Pass is not a commonly used and correct name for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It is frequently referred to as Crow Creek Pass in guide books, State Park literature, and casual conversation. I also refer to it simply as Crow Pass, but you are incorrect that Crow Creek Pass is not a commonly used and correct name for the area.
    I was going off of the "55 Ways to the Wilderness" book and my Chugach State Park map by IMUS geographics, both of which refer to it as Crow Pass. The Eagle River Nature Center also calls it Crow Pass as well.

Ended up hiking it last Sunday the 29th. Did the whole trip in about 10 hours, other than a bit of mud and one yellow jacket nest situated mid trail it wasn't bad. As it was my first time through I cannot compare to normal conditions but:

which made the tall grass/brush part between Raven Gorge & the river a little bit of a pain the in butt.
    This is still true.

Just got done with this trail (Sept 4-5)....hiked from Girdwood side; camped out for the night at Twin Falls.

Definitely have to agree that the high grass and MUD from Raven Gorge to the river crossing slowed us down and was a PITA.

Crossed around 4-5 pm and was about knee high on me (6'4")....glad I had my crocs and hiking poles with me....made the crossing very easy. Bring a camera and have fun!!

We did the Crow Pass trail on Saturday Sept. 5th until Sunday Sept. 6th. The 50 mph winds and rain made Crow Pass itself a little unpleasant. My field thermometer had the temp. at approximately 20 degrees at around 11:00 am on Saturday with the wind chill. I wouldn't disagree, as we saw fresh snow on the peaks near the pass. 2 of our party of 5 decided to head back to the Girdwood trailhead due to the conditions (boo-hoo babies!). The 3 of us continued on, and the weather cleared considerably once we got out of the elevation and down into the valley. NOTE: The first snow crossing after the pass was extremely slippery, as it was essentially hard packed ice. Be cautious with your footing, or just butt-slide down it and climb up the rocks. From the first small river crossing the trail was okay, but VERY muddy along much of the way due to recent rains.
    The Eagle River crossing (ford) was not bad at all. We crossed at around Noon on Sunday, and the water was below knee level on me (5'10").
    Overall, a great trip. We saw 2 mountain goats at the Pass, and no other wildlife besides that. Lots of bear prints and scat though!
    Also, please beware around the "4-Corners" section of the trail, about a mile before the Eagle River Nature Center. A sign has been posted there that states a hiker was charged by a brown bear last Thursday, Sept. 2nd. So make some noise in that area!

Happy hiking.