Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital video camera?

Default Digital video camera?

I need a recommendation for a video camera to take on a float hunt and should it be waterproof, otherwise?
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 08-12-2010 at 16:01. Reason: added line

http://www.goprocamera.com/products

Lacks a decent zoom that is nice on hunts, but submersable and tough, with a variety of mounts. Legit option IMO.

Thanks Ian, but going to try to stick with hand helds.

King,

I think, visiting special stores of photography device will be a quick anwser, if there are some stores close to your location.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovecam.W View Post
    King,

I think, visiting special stores of photography device will be a quick anwser, if there are some stores close to your location.
    Thanks, but I don't have that luxury.

Default Sanyo Xacti...

S'pose it depends on your needs, etc, but for casual video clips, we were pleased with the performance of these small, waterproof digital video cameras last year: http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...ca8/index.html

Storage media: We used 8GB SD memory cards and never filled them. If shooting a lot of video, SD cards are available up to 32 GB SDHC.

Good luck.

Send Alaska_Lanche a PM, he has been playing with a camera or two while packrafting and from what I have seen they take decent vid. Not HD that I know of but pretty good.

Thanks Jon.

Second on the Sanyo Xacti. Great little camera, waterproof with a good zoom. Expandable memory so you'll never run out of space. Takes still photos as well.

Thanks, looks like that might be the ticket.

Kingfisher,

That I have the Sanyo Xtaci and have used it for the past 2 years. I take it everywhere packrafting and on all my hunting trips as I find I take more pictures when I don't have to worry about taking it in and out of a ziplock bag and can leave it strapped to my PFD outside even when going through rapids and point and click real quick to get shots you would never have dared to try and get with a standard camera. Plus not having to worry about rain or dropping in the drink (while tethered to you, it doesn't float so don't drop it where you can't retrieve it ) is nice too. The sanyo latest version of my camera here looks to be even better than mine. It claims HD and is 9 Megapixels instead of mine at 8. Which is pretty amazing. In fact any pic you have seen me post on here in the last 2 years has been taken with this camera.

I also got the HD video camera because I was not satisfied with only having 5X zoom on my camera for video. Don't get me wrong the sanyo takes decent video for what it is, but this camera with its 30X zoom and HD capabilities and the fact that it is waterproof allows for some sweet video while packrafting in rapids and again the waterproof feature means you don't have to worry. The footage from this camera is much better than my Sony Handicam and the zoom works quite well especially on a tripod. I have some pretty neat footage of some moose over a mile away that came in pretty good when sitting on the tripod for my spotting scope.

I have submerged both of these cameras numerous times and they always come out fine. I don't intentionally do it, but it can and does happen eventually. One tip for simplicity sake is to by the same quick connect plate you use to connect your spotting scope to your tripod. This allows you do get very still smooth video when zoomed in or swap it onto your Xcati cam and put it on your spotter tripod for timer still shots when you want everyone in the pic with that giant caribou or moose you are no doubt oging to bag in the Brooks this year. And while Sanyo tries to claim both of these cameras are dual use (as in the video cam takes pics too and the pic cam takes video) I think you would be happier (if you can afford it) with a designated waterproof video cam and a designated waterproof pic cam. The total for both should run ya about $500 which isn't too bad. Oh and I put 32 GB cards in both cams so I don't have to worry about offloading the cam for space between trips. Just leave the quality at the highest setting and maybe offload at the end of the year or something.

I know you saw it but all the pics taken in this thread were taken with this the little Xacti to give you a rough idea of the picture quality, it isn't DSLR quality, but I don't need that or the bulk water or the kid gloves you gotta treat a DSLR around water and the quality is plenty good for me:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...aft-(pic-heavy)

Excellent info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Kingfisher,

That I have the Sanyo Xtaci and have used it for the past 2 years. I take it everywhere packrafting and on all my hunting trips as I find I take more pictures when I don't have to worry about taking it in and out of a ziplock bag and can leave it strapped to my PFD outside even when going through rapids and point and click real quick to get shots you would never have dared to try and get with a standard camera. Plus not having to worry about rain or dropping in the drink (while tethered to you, it doesn't float so don't drop it where you can't retrieve it ) is nice too. The sanyo latest version of my camera here looks to be even better than mine. It claims HD and is 9 Megapixels instead of mine at 8. Which is pretty amazing. In fact any pic you have seen me post on here in the last 2 years has been taken with this camera.

I also got the HD video camera because I was not satisfied with only having 5X zoom on my camera for video. Don't get me wrong the sanyo takes decent video for what it is, but this camera with its 30X zoom and HD capabilities and the fact that it is waterproof allows for some sweet video while packrafting in rapids and again the waterproof feature means you don't have to worry. The footage from this camera is much better than my Sony Handicam and the zoom works quite well especially on a tripod. I have some pretty neat footage of some moose over a mile away that came in pretty good when sitting on the tripod for my spotting scope.

I have submerged both of these cameras numerous times and they always come out fine. I don't intentionally do it, but it can and does happen eventually. One tip for simplicity sake is to by the same quick connect plate you use to connect your spotting scope to your tripod. This allows you do get very still smooth video when zoomed in or swap it onto your Xcati cam and put it on your spotter tripod for timer still shots when you want everyone in the pic with that giant caribou or moose you are no doubt oging to bag in the Brooks this year. And while Sanyo tries to claim both of these cameras are dual use (as in the video cam takes pics too and the pic cam takes video) I think you would be happier (if you can afford it) with a designated waterproof video cam and a designated waterproof pic cam. The total for both should run ya about $500 which isn't too bad. Oh and I put 32 GB cards in both cams so I don't have to worry about offloading the cam for space between trips. Just leave the quality at the highest setting and maybe offload at the end of the year or something.

I know you saw it but all the pics taken in this thread were taken with this the little Xacti to give you a rough idea of the picture quality, it isn't DSLR quality, but I don't need that or the bulk water or the kid gloves you gotta treat a DSLR around water and the quality is plenty good for me:

Did you purchase these in Anchorage ??

Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Rick,

No I purchased them online. Both can be had for around $250 apiece. I have a spare battery and 32 GB card for each so that will put the total price up to about $600-$650.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Kingfisher,

So did you find one local or order on line? i can not find a dealer in state off their web site
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nah Vince i just ordered online to find the best deal.

Do a google search but I usually get my best prices at newegg, buydig, or beach camera.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

http://www.bing.com/shopping/Sanyo-X...e&qpvt=vpc-ca9

quick search found these three... i ordered the HD version with a few extra batteries... should be here Tuesday.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice Vince. Wish mine was HD in the xacti model. I think you'll be happy with it and take more pics not having to worry about water or rain. Let us know what ya think about it after taking pics of all the animals you are going to be involved with harvesting this year.

Got mine in yesterday, neat little unit easy to use. i have already shown it to several " hunting wives" whom roll their eyes at me until i say WATERPROOF, then they light up.. and all say the same thing... NO SH*T? i need to buy my husband one... he is so hard on them, or needs a new one... evidently i am not the only person that is hard on cameras.. ruined a nice one this July on the Denali. got rain in the wheeler bag and camera. done. my favorite trick with the little point -n- shoots is to put them in my pocket and break the screen on them.. so needless to say mine was less then thrilled when i said new camera on the way... however when she opened it and seen folding screen and WATER PROOF... its all better now.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast