Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittiers Silvers, ANY?

Default Whittiers Silvers, ANY?

Anyone been to Whittier durning the last few days, any Silvers yet???

Quote Originally Posted by chamai59 View Post
    Anyone been to Whittier durning the last few days, any Silvers yet???
    Big fatty's are abound. Perry, Lone, I'm sure cullross by now. Knight island has been plugged with them past two weekends. Going out tomorrow to get my share.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just got home after a long day out there. Knight Island area was slow for silvers. Managed to boat 7 nice size ones though along with a mess of halibut, yelloweye and black bass. Water was a little rough and cloudy all day, but sure was great to be out on the water. Saw lots of jumpers between lone and perry and culross.

Saw a boat tearing them up in the lower Knight Island area. Squire? That passage anyway. I didn't stop because if I bring home more salmon my wife will divorce me.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Fished Sat out to Perry, silvers few and far between. Lots of pinks jumping and available, but no slugs of silvers anywhere near west Perry, Culross, Ester, Pigot, etc Shoulda gone to Seward

We got silver skunked too, went to knight island lower passage and nada - lots of pinks that my buddys kids enjoyed catching but no silvers or feeder kings - saw a few fish on the finder around 120 feet in 200 foot of water but they were probably rockfish.

Went to esther passage too and trolled the mouth - still nothing. The commercial fleet was clustered around esther, perry and lone island.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Lost 3, boated 5 silvers on saturday all taken in front of Main bay and Crafton island. Did pretty well last saturday also, same location, had to work for them and all were 90-130 feet deep.

I was on Culross last weekend (August 6-7) looking for deer. If I'd had 20' of fishing line, I could have limited out. There was more noise from the silvers jumping in Culross Passage than wind. Hit culross passage. They might be up above it by now.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

We found 16 today. The bite was good early and then dropped off like a rock in the afternoon. A gillnetter I spoke to had 9000 lbs of pinks and only one silver yesterday.

Quite a few around Knight, Latouche, and Montague...jumper pinks everywhere with an occasional airborn silver. The silvers are picky and deep. Caught a 38# ling trolling for silvers this weekend. Was watching my halibut gear come up and a couple times big silvers followed to the surface.

Side note...like to thank whoever wasn`t watching their rod sometime this summer...caught a nice $300 combo bottom fishing.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Quite a few around Knight, Latouche, and Montague...jumper pinks everywhere with an occasional airborn silver. The silvers are picky and deep. Caught a 38# ling trolling for silvers this weekend. Was watching my halibut gear come up and a couple times big silvers followed to the surface.

Side note...like to thank whoever wasn`t watching their rod sometime this summer...caught a nice $300 combo bottom fishing.
    It wasn't by change a brand new heavy-action Uglystick with a Shimano Cardiff on it, was it? I had a buddy with me out near Smith Island 2 weeks ago that lost that setup on a silver that came up and surprised him. The buddy has a handle on this forum with the user name "Nevistar". That would be funny as hell if you ended up coming across it that far away!

Lost a custom built green rod with a line counter on it last year in Icy...something grabbed it and ripped the rod holder right off the boat while I was pulling anchor...but that was last year...that rod caught fish 10 to 1 compared to all the other rods....

Loomis/Shakespeare combo...but close!

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Was laughing that it should have had a Scotty rod holder attached...must of been one of those set the rod down against the rail moments.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

actually it was a rental boat and the little locking knob inside the rod holder had been worn down from improper use - I knew it though so it was all my fault...

The rod was borrowed and made for them by a good friend..I felt horrible- and I got to buy the rental boat a new rod holder to boot!

Still not sure what took it. I was in the mud and had been anchored all night with several hours fishing the same spot - I went up front to pull anchor and then I heard a clank and several F-bombs. I ran back to see what the matter and grabbed a hali rod and did some sweeps to no avail....

Got limits last Thursday on the NE corner of Culross..........nothing 'hot', but real steady. Most were 40'-60' deep, and a few pinks to sort through. Stopped at Pigot on the way back in to see what was there, and released another limit in about 2 hours. Nothing 'hot' again, but steady, and beautiful fish!

Limited out (18) BIG silvers 0n Saturday in an hour and a half on the North side of Knight Island. Would of had them sooner but we had a 10 and 12 year old on board who had several break-offs and it cost us some time.

Any shore fishing updates for Whittier? They should be showing any time if they aren't already there....

We're headed down for the next couple days for berries and sunshine. Will report on the shore bite when we return.

I went out today, and did not do so well. We started with Crafton, which has been hot, but only one hit and a loss. Went out to Knight and tried there and only got one. It was a pretty day out there, but we didn't have the luck fishing today.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast