Thread: Yukon River trip information

Default Yukon River trip information

I am considering a trip from Whitehorse to the Haul road on the Yukon River and wondering if:
    1) It is doable by a outboard boat
    2) What style boat would be the best
    3) Max draft
    4) Longest leg for fuel
    5) And, whatever else I should to know

Thanks

Ron

(just finished the 1800 miles of the Mississippi River and looking for the next longer trip)

Default Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Rat View Post
    I am considering a trip from Whitehorse to the Haul road on the Yukon River and wondering if:
    1) It is doable by a outboard boat
    2) What style boat would be the best
    3) Max draft
    4) Longest leg for fuel
    5) And, whatever else I should to know

Thanks

Ron

(just finished the 1800 miles of the Mississippi River and looking for the next longer trip)
    Ron,
    I've done the Yukon from the Canadian border to the Bering sea and back to Fairbanks in 1996. I've been thinking about adding the Canadian portion, but have been looking at other adventures first.... like the Mackenzie. It's roughly 925 miles from Whitehorse to the bridge and the portion in Alaska I did with a GoDevil outboard on a 20 ft flatbottom. The section from Dawson city to Eagle has a big tour boat running it so it should be a no brainer. Hopefully other folks can help you with the conditions further upriver. I would plan on carrying enough fuel for at least 200 miles in case a village doesn't have enough to sell. Get yourself a Milepost and the 9th edition of the Alaska Wilderness Guide. Valuable info in both. For more specifics or just war stories call me at 907 488-1884.
    Good luck, stu

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Rat View Post

In 1970 I did the Mississippi in a canoe from the bridge on Highway 2 in MN down to New Orleans. Wonderful 91 day trip.

Default My Hat Is Off To You Gentleman

Those sound like some great trips.

Stu
    Thanks for the info. I had thought of the MacKenzie River but after read about a rowing trip in 'Rowing to Latitude' by Jell Fredston I decided the mosquitoes sounded worse than those in Alaska.

Fuel for 200 miles sounds good-the lower Mississippi River trip distances between fuel stops where I could get fuel pumped was 270, 200, 370 and 160 miles.

I will pick up the referenced books and then call.

Ron

Default Yukon River trip

Ron,
    Assume the Mackensie river mosquitos heard you are going to the Yukon and will be waiting.
    stu

read about 10 years ago about a guy who took a 60 ft. cat-hull the whole way to ocean..........