Thread: Current issue military tents

Default Current issue military tents

Looking for a new tent, the current military dome tents seem to be pretty reasonable for the price and style of tent.

Is there anyone out there that has used them before and how did they seem?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Military Dome Tent

Perhaps you are talking about the Mobiflex Tent. My experience with them is although if you baby them they are decent (in certain conditions), they are too heavy, to costly to repair and the winds will cause you joints to bend, as will extreme heat, and of course not setting them up with due care.

Some information on repairing them is even posted. Of perhaps you are talking about a different type of tent as the military wasted a lot of money on these guys.

http://www.cucv.net/mobiflex/mobifle...ation_kit.html

Default No that one

Nope, not that one. The 2-man current use tent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I moose hunted in one last year for 7 days. We didn't experience any wind or rain so I can't comment on how durable it would be. The one thing I remember is that it was very dark inside. The guy who owned it said he had to replace the hub because they are known to go bad. The hub was plastic as I recall. It was easy to set up and very roomy but not enough to stand up in.

Default Tents

If someone had to replace a hub these tents may have the same "Mobiflex Tent" techology or parts as ones I used previously. If it sets up in two minutes in my opinion it is a piece of junk, again can be a good tent on occasion but eventually you need maintenance "replacing hubs". In my mind not worth the effort and money when you consider other options out there. If someone has pics of the pole setup you should be able to tell if the poles are the ones that cause issues.

Default Light in tents

Another note military tents are often black and dark on the inside, intent is to block light from getting out. So you are not seen by the enemy in theory (offical term less signature).

The Mobiflex Tents would block out all light if set up correctly, even with a couple of trouble lights in them.

Dave, the tent you have pictured is not the one I spent time in. I was in the one that Dean mentions.

Default Eureka

Eureka and one other tent manufacture makes these for the military. Eureka also makes a civilian model of the same tent. I figured that with 4 poles, it had to stand up pretty good in the weather up here. They also come with a complete repair kit and extra stakes for $150 + shipping.

Being dark does not bother me. Usually at night I like dark instead of our lingering daylight.

Default Tents

Here is a link to the Mobiflex Tents I've used.

http://www.mobiflex.net/product.html

Thumbs up Tent

Used them in the military, the hubs kept going bad.........I would not buy one.

I use the the Euk. Timberline Outfitter 6 man......excellent tent.
    Alaska

Just so everyone knows the military has changed about three years ago we went to Base-X tents. They are simple and strong, as far as our Arctic tents they even have switched some out to small Base-x Tents, Most of them are white on the inside , they have a double door so light will not excape at night. even the old Arctic Ten man tents are yellow lined. The Base-x are very expensive but come as a complete setup with a Generator that is quiet, a set of lights for the inside, and a heating/AC unit. Just information for you guys, the ever changing military!
    Steve