Thread: 19' Gruman with lift, Splash Problem

Default 19' Gruman with lift, Splash Problem

I used to have a 19' Gruman Freighter, with a lift and ran a short shaft 15 hp 2 stroke Johnson.
    It ran great and had virtually now splash into the boat. And that was under all running conditions.
    I sold that set-up years ago and now have the same set-up after years of gathering a replacement (after realizing my mistake of selling it in the first place).

My new set up has the problem of getting water in the boat when under power.
    I have seen where many Gruman Freighter owner install a rubber splash guard, but I don't want to do that, as I know it will work with out the rubber skirt.

Question is, who out there can tell me how to duplicate my old set up where the lift is installed/ configured such that there is not a problem with water getting in the boat from running the engine?

A picture post would be great or, if you are in the interior/ Fairbanks, I would like to see what you have, if yours works.

my 2 cts
    what type out board do you have if it is a OMC 10/15 an you have a lift from Fairbanks this might work, put a 2x4 [board] flat ide dowm on transom an be about 1 inch wider than transom both ends, let the wide side hang over about 1/2 tp 3/4 inch in the back, 2 bolts to hold it on the transom,use the holes are there, at the cornners, cut the outer ends so they won't have a squair end to get caught, then put a bolt throught the 2x4 so it can't break off, the bolt will be about 1/4 x 5 inchs,
    seal it up with good sealent, what this did was bring the lift transom up about 1 5/8 inchs an also stopped the lift from hitting the canoe [metal to metal] this pice of wood can be changed depending on the motor, what you want is the cav. plate at the bottom of canoe
    put the lift on the canoe an use "C" clamps or vice grips to hold in place to get the correct sport ,so it goes up an down with one finger
    what I did was put a pice of wood [hard wood]1x 11/2 across the back end of canoe to mount the pivot rod on top of canoe so I can take the lift off to load it or store it

drop me a PM it you don't under stand

SID

I added foam pipe insulation under the lift. The "C" shape of the insulation snaps on the gunwale/transom. This was cheap and stopped all the slash around the transom.

Pics of foam/lift on osage:
    lift_foam2.JPGlift_foam1.JPG

-Tim

the foam looks good an when it gets all banged up chang it [cheep]
    ::::Bitterroot:::: if you move the pivot rod on the the back so it is on top of the gunwale on a pice of wood an notch the wood a little you would be able to tale the lift off the canoe an move it around an car top it real easy , [it works] you might not car/truck top it but I do
    SID

Thanks to all for the advice.
    I will see if it works.
    Sid... I will need to talk with you or PM you to get a clearer picture of what you are describing. (are you in FAI or on the road system?)